SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any JLU Wrangler Owners? Specifically the 2.0T
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any JLU Wrangler Owners? Specifically the 2.0T Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Just a thought at the moment, but with the recent run of issues from my wife's car & it having 105k miles on it, we've considered replacing it.

A Wrangler is #2 on her want list behind the Kia Telluride.

A bit of browsing today brought me to a few new-old-stock '18 JLUs with what appear to be very deep discounts. All appear to be the 2.0T powertrain.

Curious what any resident JLU (or even JKU) owners are thinking about theirs, and any specifics to be aware of.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up going with the 3.6. The turbo and mild hybrid scared me. 3 cooling systems. Battery pack under the jeep. No thank you.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
JLU is on my short list. I am not sure if I would go with the Sahara, but it does seem more of a commuter. I am also not sure how to store the various parts of the top and doors for that occasional drive in good weather. The hard top looks better to me, but I think I'd have to empty my garage to create space for the doors and top panels to sit while I was driving around topless.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The turbo and mild hybrid

In a Jeep Wrangler? Eek Roll Eyes Is nothing sacred? A turbo diesel (although those aren't without problems themselves) tuned for low end torque makes sense, but not a turbo gas engine, and sure as hell not a hybrid.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2.liter turbo 8 speed auto on Rubicon 2 door, soft and hard top, o issues, mud and field use off road. Currently 25mpg road and highway use, rides like a Jeep, this Jeep has power all over compared to my 09 Wrangler. You can easily shut off stop start system if you don’t like that, 24vdc secondary motor for stop start kicks in for a second when starting from a stop completely seamless, warranty for 24vdc system is 80000 mi. Nothing but smiles.

Posts: 14 | Registered: November 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't trust any FCA powertrain stuff outside of maybe the Hemi. But the 2.0t would definitely be towards the bottom of the list.

I would say the v6 is a make or break item on modern wranglers.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRJeff:
2.liter turbo 8 speed auto on Rubicon 2 door, soft and hard top, o issues, mud and field use off road. Currently 25mpg road and highway use, rides like a Jeep, this Jeep has power all over compared to my 09 Wrangler. You can easily shut off stop start system if you don’t like that, 24vdc secondary motor for stop start kicks in for a second when starting from a stop completely seamless, warranty for 24vdc system is 80000 mi. Nothing but smiles.

I’m interested. Which dealership do you work at? Wink

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Be very careful when you consider a Jeep. It will change your whole life. I did that back in the summer of 1977 and its never been the same since. Forget vacations, they're jeep outings. At first you just want to sleep with the jeep. Someone says something bad about jeeps, you cross them off the list of friends. You spend all extra money on jeep extras. You have so much fun you don't even know how you existed pre-jeep.

Oldest son's wife is the jealous type. She was offended at strange girly's waving at her husband, and then realized he was waving back. Still worse, she drove it one day and all the guys were waving at her.

Jeeps don't come fully equipped. You'll need all sorts of stuff, and Christmas and birthday's are consumed with presents. Not for you, but for the jeep. It needs tow straps, shackles. And a trenching tool (small shovel). Are you used to taking pictures? Not of your wife and kids, but of your vehicle? Did you know there are even sicker people than you? They spend their vacations out in the desert and mountains.

Back in the old days, jeeps were underpowered. You were lucky to keep up with traffic. Then Mercedes came along and bought out Chrysler. Just for fun one day they designed a V6. No, now a wimpy slug like Chrysler used in their mini-vans, but and honest to gawd engine. And coupled it with a drive train that made sense. Lots of gears spaced well apart, and an engine that likes to scream.

So before you buy a 2.0, turbo or not, test drive a 3.6 someplace where you can let it out. Its rated at 285 horsepower, and it will make a believer out of you. The only place it falls short is that it doesn't have 400 horsepower. Wish mine did.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
'12 JK Sport 2 door owner here, bought new August 2012. Automatic, 3:21 gears, Knocking down average 21 mpg highway is not unusual. One trip to northern Michigan 80 mph from Detroit to Mackinaw City I averaged 22.2 mpg. This may change, looking to 4.56 gears, lift and tires.

I drove a JLU in January, I was curious not to mention a 50 dollar gift card from FCA good at Amazon if I took a test drive. Cold "ass" day, salesman asked if there was anything specific in options I wanted to try, I said "heated seats", he brought out one with that option. Also, he asked me if I had looked into the 2.0 Turbo engine and I replied that I had not. He then said that I was going to be driving one now.

Power seemed ok but peaky. Dead at lower speeds and RPMs once the Turbo spooled up it felt good though. I felt it needed more low speed grunt especially being an off road vehicle. I could see the Turbo with an AWD drive but not in a Wrangler. I put maybe twenty miles on it, it was ok overall.

Salesman asked me what would it take to put me in that Jeep today and I think I hurt his feelings when I told him "A V6 but I was not in the market at the present time, I'd keep my '12"

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Been wanting to buy an older Jeep and put the Cummins 2.8 complete repower setup in it

https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Wrangler(several) as my daily driver since 1989. Once you get one you are hooked. Always thought of them as simple vehicles. My latest is a 17 Chief Edition with all the bells and whistles (no longer so simple, but still wouldn't drive anything else). I looked at a new one with the 2.0. I would stay with the 3.6.Too much to go wrong with the new set up and power curve not right for an off road vehicle. If you wait a bit they just announced that they will finally be available with a diesel, which was promised over a year ago

Posts: 339 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

If we decide to go for it, it would be primarily a DD/Pavement Princess & only see gravel/dirt roads a few times a year when I go down to our ranch for bird/deer season.

I'm curious if the deals I'm seeing are in the 'too good to be true' camp. Nearly $20k off of a brand-new 2018 seems unreal.
All of these new-old-stock JLUs are the 2.0T, none are the V6.

If it does turn out to be true, I could probably buy, drive for a year & flip for profit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They’re making deals because nobody wants them.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be very careful when you consider a Jeep. It will change your whole life. I did that back in the summer of 1977 and its never been the same since. Forget vacations, they're jeep outings. At first you just want to sleep with the jeep. Someone says something bad about jeeps, you cross them off the list of friends. You spend all extra money on jeep extras. You have so much fun you don't even know how you existed pre-jeep.

You will buy a Jeep.

quote:
By Para in the "You will buy a Glock" thread:
At some point in your life, you will buy a Glock and secretly fall in love with it. You'll fondle it late at night and engage in the Love that Dares not Speak it's Name.

You'll build a special compartment for it in your bomb shelter. You'll give it a name - Francine or some stupid-ass thing like that.
But you'll never admit it. You'll live a closeted life and die a bitter old man.

It doesn't have to be like that, y'know. Just own up and be free.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I think I heard somewhere that there was a substantial price drop for 2020 models with the 2.0 turbo so it makes sense they'd be really discounting any leftover with that same engine.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post