SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    private security defends against Somali pirates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

private security defends against Somali pirates Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
two videos

diff cameras and the time sequence gets a bit confusing

The first pirate speedboat looks like it got hit quite a bit

***Links Replaced***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcaJjwz6JWU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
seems like the driver of the first boat took a hit since it just crashed into the hull

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Both look the same to me. The second one is shorter, I guess. 12 million views.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That looks like fun, but I think I'd prefer to use a weapon that makes a bigger hole in a skiff or a skinny.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is being presented on youtube as current footage. It's not. It's at least four years old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcaJjwz6JWU

Seems to me that whomever posted that video on youtube is just looking for hits, and we aren't going to help them out, so I've replaced the links in the first post in this thread.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
my error. I thought it was a 2017 event.

From Dailymail article of 22 Apr 2017:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...security-guards.html

The footage, uploaded on April 20, and is believed to have taken place in the Indian ocean in 2012.

It has come to prominence again following an attack on an oil tanker in March.

Last month pirates hijacked an oil tanker off the coast of Somalia in the first hijacking of a large commercial vessel on the crucial global trade route since 2012.

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Never understood why all boats over there don't just have armed security?

Posts: 22903 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
How do I score that job?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Never understood why all boats over there don't just have armed security?

Not every nation allows it.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
From what I understand commercial ships that arm themselves are considered warships.

Violation of International Rules of the Sea.

I may be totally wrong however.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
From what I understand commercial ships that arm themselves are considered warships.

Violation of International Rules of the Sea.

I may be totally wrong however.

I think it has more to do countries prohibiting the importation of firearms without strict controls. Can't come into port with illegal firearms, can't always get the permits and clearances required to make them legal, and can't risk your millions of dollars of cargo because of it. I think private security can get around this by getting off the boat in international waters and getting on another boat for the return trip.

The other reason is that there's an understanding that if you use firearms against pirates, the whole crew will probably be executed if they make it aboard. Many crews will give up the boat, lock themselves into an interior room, and just wait for the negotiations and Calvary with the understanding that if everyone plays nice, the pirates get paid and nobody gets hurt.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post