SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Veteran's Day deals....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veteran's Day deals.... Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I don't take advantage of any of them. I did my time and moved on.

Not that others can't or shouldn't, I just don't.
+1. I think once in my life we ate a free lunch at Hooters on Veterans Day, but it was at the behest of the rest of my work crew (almost all Vets).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I do not partake in their offers.

Stood in way to many long lines when I was in the USMC.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you the one we always appreciated.
On Memorial Day & Veterans Day, while I was active duty, we would stop in at a rest area in WV & Virginia to use the facilities and there were folks there that were offering free coffee & a donut for those of us active duty who were traveling home on a 96hr weekend.
That coffee was a god send for the guys riding in the open bed of the pickups in their sleeping bags to stay warm.
We'd fill a vehicle up & offer the bed to anyone willing to endure the weather, rain , shine or cold !
So yeah, got coffee & a donut then back in the bag for the rest of their trip !!

Some memories never fade.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
To add - this one makes me laugh every year when he posts it because....I've got a Vet buddy like this.

I do this every year - make up a list of places and hit them up. It’s my way of celebrating.

I do order only one thing. I bring my wife who also orders a small non-vet order and I tip on the full price.

When I was in, they didn’t have anything like it. This year, I had to plan out two days. Better than Halloween.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I do not partake in their offers.

Stood in way to many long lines when I was in the USMC.

I know what you mean. But this year, i haven’t had to wait. I’m not sure why.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I'd rather stay home and avoid the gaggle of people...

Mrs. Mike just left to go get fried chicken for us..mom & dad are in this weekend

We put a new hot water heater in my big kid's house and everything went smooth...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Bicycle ride in the morning, time for some reflection and a prayer for those who've gone before me....and a Cliff bar. I'm grateful Smile

Oh, and my wife is making chili!!!!!

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin who would drag his little brother around everywhere. The cousin did Basic, AIT and then a few drills before he stopped going. Reason he brought his little brother along was to basically rub it in the kids face that he was getting a free meal and the kid wasn't. Roll Eyes

I did take advantage of Chipotle and their buy one, get one free offer on Tuesday, though. We do like Chipotle. Did leave a tip in the jar. They were packed.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a cousin who would drag his little brother around everywhere. The cousin did Basic, AIT and then a few drills before he stopped going. Reason he brought his little brother along was to basically rub it in the kids face that he was getting a free meal and the kid wasn't.

Typical of those who have done little to nothing - all about trying to feed at the trough of freebies when they have done jack shit.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A number of years back another retiree and I would hit one of the places for lunch. Not so much for the food but for the camaraderie with fellow old hands. But being close to a military base it became just too much with the long lines, cold weather, and leaning on my cane. Haven't been in a long time. Regardless i do appreciate the sentiment from all the businesses who extend special offers to vets.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I don't take advantage of any of them. I did my time and moved on.

Not that others can't or shouldn't, I just don't.

My thoughts exactly.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

I am not ashamed to admit I will enjoy a free meal on Veteran’s Day. I also use the Veteran’s parking spaces at Home Depot and the discount Lowe’s offers Veterans. It certainly has nothing to do with why I joined, but I appreciate the offers in the spirit they are intended.

These are businesses I regularly patronize and I don’t see it as free loading or taking advantage. Yes, they see it as a means to gain additional business, but they can do that and still be appreciative of our service. It doesn’t have to be an “either/or” situation.

Now planning out a whole days schedule based on maximizing offers may be a little overboard, but if there are some vets who have that kind of time and want to make a day of it, they can knock themselves out for all I care.

My freebie this year was a soft taco combo at Taco Time.

Supercuts and Great clips can keep their free haircuts as they aren’t worth half that price Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
I am like some of you guy's. Me and my wife have never went for the veteran's day meals and as a matter of fact we don't even go out to eat on veteran's day we just stay home and throw something on the grill.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot a match in the morning and stopped SBUX on the way home for a free cup.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine my Dad, any of my uncles or one aunt who was an Army nurse in Italy even considering accepting a free meal just because they were veterans.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saved $160.00 on four tires at Sam's club.

but they can't get them installed until the 17th Roll Eyes

So, two trips , but thats worth it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I did my service in the early 60's, so I don't feel I need a free meal because of it. It's nice that people are showing their appreciation for those who served but back in the 60's it was a different story.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2084 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post