SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Veteran's Day deals....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veteran's Day deals.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
For me it is a nearby pizza place. They offer a free meal ($14 value) every year and I've used it every year for at least the past 15 or so. It's the only deal I actively seek and I always hit them up and Facebook and Twitter to thank them.

They're out there...anyone have anything specific they took advantage of, or take advantage of every year?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't take advantage of any of them. I did my time and moved on.

Not that others can't or shouldn't, I just don't.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
To add - this one makes me laugh every year when he posts it because....I've got a Vet buddy like this. Fucking tool....LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure this year, but I think Dunkin Donuts was onboard for coffee and a donut free for all veterans.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My wife just told me that vets get free food at Applebee's and Chilis.

Again, FYI for those who don't know, vets are now able to shop on-line at military exchanges. Since it is VD, there are probably some good deals.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife just told me that vets get free food at Applebee's and Chilis.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
I have never felt the desire to take advantage of the "specials" on Veteran's Day. I am not saying that it is bad, it is just not something that appeals to me. Vietnam is a long way away, and it was a long time ago......but I have not forgotten!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
That Cartoon is My brother.. He thinks today is his Trick or Treat.. He is a chronic complainer.. and he will have a list of places to hit. He complained last year because Bob Evans would not give him his free pancakes to go.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I went once... Way too many people. Not doing it ever again.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to Texas Roadhouse for lunch (got there early), three vet guys and one spouse. Had a great time, saw other vet pals there, it's nice to get recognized.

We love Texas Roadhouse anyhow, they're always doing stuff for Special Olympics and other good causes.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
That Cartoon is My brother.. He thinks today is his Trick or Treat.. He is a chronic complainer.. and he will have a list of places to hit. He complained last year because Bob Evans would not give him his free pancakes to go.

Guy at work is like this too. Wants it to go so he can reheat it later. One year he was touting how smart hee was because he could eat a full week on the food saved from Veteran's Day.

He's a total douche.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Let me share a story of wonderful service to a Vet. I’ll stuck in the LAX airport 9 hours before our flight is due out. I am here early as the cruise line brought me here at the assigned time. Alaska Air won’t accept my luggage for 5 Hours so I am stuck by the front door waiting. What really frosts my ass is that I am hungry and have Priority Pass for the lounge - past security.

A big happy Veterans Day from Alaska Air to me.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
They’ll accept luggage five hours in advance? That’s better than some airlines that limit it to two hours. Or do they normally accept it further in advance than five hours, and limited it in your case because you’re an armed forces veteran?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I could get a free oil change and all the ribs I can eat, and I really appreciate the companies that go the extra mile to show appreciation, but I just don't feel right taking advantage of the deals. I am sure there are those that really need the extra help though and hopefully they do take advantage of the deals.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't go get the free meals, but I do encourage my junior Soldiers to go out and get a meal. Old/older guys like myself can avoid the crowds and afford our own food.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
My wife just told me that vets get free food at Applebee's and Chilis....

Down here (Tucson) both places are posted "No Firearms", so they can keep their free for Vets food, I don't need it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Mrs. BRL asked me to pass on Cost Plus World Market 25% off for active and Vets.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
My son is manning the door at our local Applebee's today.
He's in the MJROTC at his high school.
It will be a madhouse lol.

We went to Golden Corral one year on Veterans Day with my WWII vet grandfather. Never seen a restaurant that packed before. Those old timers get extra special attention, as it should be.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I just left the Olive Garden.
We walk in an as we're being shown to our table the Steward asks me "are you a veteran"?
As a Jarhead perhaps I wasn't thinking but the "Free Lunch" thing wasn't on my mind.
We sit down & my wife gets a menu & I get a little pamphlet with 4-5 meals on it ...

I didn't ask for this!
I was asked a simple question, don't assume I'm here for free chow !
I want shrimp alfredo people and I can afford my meal !!!

I get it & it's nice that places choose to offer this.
Of course while sitting there two people eating their "Free Meal" call the manager over complaining about portion size & then ask for a better piece of chicken in their Chicken Parmesan to take home !!!
We left just after they did, Guess how much of a tip was left ? $3. Mad
And they drove off in a new Jeep Cherokee.

Thanks for giving us veterans a bad reputation you damn bums!

It was nice to see a few big families there with their 80yr old + veteran family members there enjoying their lunches.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I've never partaken of the free meal/services offered on Veterans Day, as I feel I've gotten my rewards in any other ways. BUT, I did get my free donut at WALL DRUG in Wall South Dakota.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post