SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Dying Years, And How Do You Survive Them.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Dying Years, And How Do You Survive Them. Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
I've reached the years of my life, that for no better description, are my "Dying Years". All of my family is dead, most of my friends have passed away, and I can't even remember the last pet I had.

I lost my nephew to a hunting accident, my sister to cancer, my mother to ALS, and my Father to old age, all in the same year. The few friends I've had are getting up in age and aren't long for this world.

How do you guys cope with the "Dying Years"?

H&K-Guy

ETA: I've got some years left, so I'm more concerned with how to deal with all of the people that matter to me dying, not my own death. Hope that clarifies things.

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
My faith....

If my focus was on this life, it would be hopeless. Vanity, Vanity, it is all vanity.

That is how I survive.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not there yet, the only thing I can suggest is come to the realization that death comes for all of us and all we love and the only thing you personally can do is to celebrate the time you had with those who you love instead of mourning their loss.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I'm not there yet, so I can offer no experiences of my own. You say you can't remember the last pet you had, so maybe it's time to change that. Consider adopting a dog. Maybe save an older, smaller one that is past the crazy puppy stage and less desirable for adoption. That dog might just save you too, and give you a purpose for getting up in the morning that it sounds like you haven't had in some time. The right one will be there day and night with you and for you, and will always love you with the kind of unwavering love that doesn't exist anywhere in this world but inside a dog.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The few friends I've had are getting up in age and aren't long for this world.

I'd suggest spend some time with them.
And.... make some new friends!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Each passing day is a day closer to going home to God. I can't ask for anything better.

Q

Posts: 26380 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess I am not too far behind you. My advice is to try and get out. Find something that interests you and get involved. Walk if you can.
But get active and busy, as much as your body tells you to.
It is easy to get mired down in hindsight that involves your "glory days".
This may sound trite or corny, but I have been looking at my life lately as a book. There are lots of chapters before the last one. Dont be afraid to start a new chapter.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I live life to its fullest every day, I don't piss and moan over stuff that I can't change. I accept it and move on to enjoy my day. I don't watch network anything, we watch one-off shows on Netflix and Prime and entertain our selves every day in the wood shop.

Life is far to short to miss one minute of it struggling with drama. like Dr. Sidney Freedman from the M.A.S.H. show said, 'pull down your pants and slide on the ice'

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The wife's aunt passed a month ago at 94, my wonderful uncle two weeks ago at 96 and yesterday my wife's oldest friend died cancer-ravaged. A lot of looking back recently by necessity, more than a little hard to process I must say.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate it - social interaction.

You need to be motivated and engaged socially. Whatever you are comfortable with and push yourself a bit. It's ok to be socially uncomfortable also. Just engaging with others and connecting will keep you going.

Stay thirsty for knowledge.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That is a lot of loss for one year. I suspect that a little depression is settling in. The idea of an older rescue dog is a good one and would keep you busy and give you a reason to get up in the morning. The dog will pick you so you don't have to do much, just show up at the pound.

Good luck,

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I lost a friend in high school to a car wreck, lost people the short time I was in the service. I've rode bikes my whole life, and have lost friends due to drugs, wrecks, cancer...it is life's process. None of us are guaranteed another minute. But I've learned to get up every morning and live again. This s how I honor and remember all I've bonded with over the years. I'm 70 now, I can do no better.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
This is the day the Lord hath made ...

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you find others looking for company to live those years the best you can. They are out there. Some here may be close. Wishing you the best.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Carpe Diem
We have a finite time on this earth.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I'm not there yet, so I can offer no experiences of my own. You say you can't remember the last pet you had, so maybe it's time to change that. Consider adopting a dog. Maybe save an older, smaller one that is past the crazy puppy stage and less desirable for adoption. That dog might just save you too, and give you a purpose for getting up in the morning that it sounds like you haven't had in some time. The right one will be there day and night with you and for you, and will always love you with the kind of unwavering love that doesn't exist anywhere in this world but inside a dog.

I know this answer isn't the right one for everyone, but it's as good as it gets IMHO.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Consider volunteering.

Meals on wheels, food bank, rocking babies, reading to kids, library, helping the elderly get to doctor appts, tutoring, many other things. There is a need and you can help fill it. I find these things make me feel better.

Good luck to you, best wishes.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My wife and and I are parentless. They have all passed on, same with some friends and family.

Nobody gets out of here alive. Death is a natural process of life, it's part of the gig of living here on Earth.

I don't think any pontification on the subject on an internet forum will make it "easier". Focus on yourself. Take shit from no one. The old "grieve and move on" tactic is not a bad paradigm. You're not alone.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Consider volunteering.

My grandfather does a bunch of this. Voting, senior driving classes, volunteering at Shul, etc.

He's facing the same right now. All his friends are dying, last year his younger brother died, he really saw his mortality after that. He's asked me to come over and have a conversation about what happens when he dies. I'm a pussy and haven't had that conversation with him. I have though made sure to ask him over and over to tell me our family history and how we fled the Nazis.

I don't think he's made terms with the fact that his days are coming to an end, but he's sure as hell not letting it slow him down either. He volunteers, he does all his own yardwork, heck he even climbs on his roof to clean his gutters and blow the junk off the roof. If his father is any sign of what's to come, he's still got a decade ahead of him.

Hang in there H&K-Guy, find stuff to occupy yourself, and try to find someone you can pass your knowledge on to. If you can do that you become immortal.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'd adopt a shelter pet!

I have a good friend that several years back was starting to really scare me. In his late 70's and simply tired of life. Been everywhere, done everything and simply not happy.

By total chance we ended up with a border collie that needed a home. My friend ended up with her. She has changed his life. He HAS to get up to feed and care for her, so he does. No more sleeping until noon. He interacts with her all the time and she gives him affection by being at his side.

She requires exercise so he HAS to walk with her, throw a ball for her to chase and so forth. Exercise is one of the best medicines for depression IMHO.

My suggestion....a nice pet.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post