SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Puppy teething question for dog experts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puppy teething question for dog experts? Login/Join 
Picture of Ken226
posted
I'm sure we have members here that are more knowledgeable than I am about dogs. Our 6-1/2 month old German Shepherd puppy has lost all his milk teeth, and his adult teeth are either in, or obviously growing in with the exception of two bottom front 'incisors'

In the places these 2 incisors should be growing, the baby teeth fell out 2 months ago and there's still no sign whatsoever of the adult teeth erupting through.

He has an appointment with his vet this evening, but I thought I'd ask here anyway. Anyone experience this before? What was the end result?

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
The incisors are the first permanent teeth to come in. Feel the gums, does there feel like there are any hard spots underneath the gums? Any lighter coloring of the gums in that area which might indicate the teeth are present but aren't breaking through the gums?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I don't feel anything hard there. Just gums.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i wouldn't sweat over it all dogs are different just like kids they will come in at some point. my latest pup had one tooth growing out and the baby tooth just didn't want to fall out it did eventually
good looking pup

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our newest dog, shih tzu, so a slight difference in size Razz , got his adult incisors in at about 10 months, still had his baby incisors. He lost three of the baby ones ones over the next 10 months and still has one. We are waiting the last to fall out!
On other dogs in the past have seen delays as you are experiencing.
As for me I still have a baby tooth that is almost 70 y.o.!!!!
Miracles of mother nature. Wink

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Ok, good to know. I took him to the vet today, and was basically told the same thing.

The vet said to watch him, and if he starts having trouble, pain, acting weird to bring him back and they'll x-ray him. Otherwise, he said to just wait and they'll either grow, or they won't.

He's been a great pup aside from the usual obnoxious puppy rambunctiousness. Sniffing crotches, jumping on people while peeing on their legs from excitement.

He reacts to our 25lb alleycat rescue the way a 13 year old girl reacts to Justin Beiber. Whines, wets in the floor, starts prancing around the cat trying to play, then gets broken hearted when the cat attacks him.

He's grown from 12lbs when we brought him home in July, to 68lbs today when the vet weighed him. He's very smart, but kinda devious too.

Last week he snuck into the kitchen when I wasn't looking and pulled a whole German chocolate cake off the countertop. He ate it ALL in about 20 seconds.

He's wrecked 3 pairs of shoes. I'm hoping the obnoxious puppy stage ends pretty quick.

This was the day we brought him home, in July.

And this is today.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
Last week he snuck into the kitchen when I wasn't looking and pulled a whole German chocolate cake off the countertop. He ate it ALL in about 20 seconds.

Nice looking dog!

We had an Ibizan Hound who could remove something from the kitchen counter, something on a plate and covered with a paper towel, and you could not tell by looking that anything was amiss. Until you lifted the paper towel and WTF.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
beautiful dog !

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Great looking pup!

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Have a four year old Great Dane that doesn't have those incisors. They just never grew in.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post