SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mountain City, TN
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain City, TN Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted
The wife and I are considering different areas to retire to and this is high on the list. Our son and his wife live a couple hours away and we loved TN when we went down to visit.
Is anyone here familiar with this area or it's surroundings?
We want peace and quiet, separation from neighbors and do not want to be near any high crime area whatsoever, not even close.

We will be taking a short trip to the area and staying in a bed and breakfast but I wanted any input, if any was available from the folks on here.
Thanks in advance.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I live ~60 miles from there and have visited the area a couple of times.

quote:
We want peace and quiet, separation from neighbors and do not want to be near any high crime area whatsoever, not even close.

I expect you'll find it there. Not much in the way of work (Johnson is one of the poorer counties in the state) and it can have subzero temperatures in the winter, but those aren't a concern for a retiree.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
We are looking forward to visiting the area. Not too worried about work.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks nice, having the Son & DIL in the area is a real plus. I would definitely be looking for that exit from NJ.

I would visit some(again) to get a feel for the area. Nothing wrong with renting a bit before you decide to get more permanent.

Since it's not far from the border compare with the nearby States, maybe towards the Son. Good luck with it all.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Boone NC is nearby and seems to be a great place. We've visited there multiple times over the past 20 years.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My in laws retired there from central NJ over ten years ago. We are all from Monmouth county in NJ. My wife and I moved to central Fl in 1999 and my in laws moved to Mountain City shortly after they retired.
They loved the area. It is absolutely beautiful.
Tennessee has no state income tax and it less expensive to live in than Nj.
It has a small town feel that they like. It is in between Boon NC and Johnson city TN.
Our plan was to retire working in Fl and stay.Some time in 2005 the area in Fl where we live became so congested we decided we might not want to stay in Fl after retirement.
In late 2006 while while visiting my in laws we fell in love the area so we talked to a real estate agent about land for sale. Before the end of the year we had bought 3 1/2 acres on the side of a mountain to retire to some day. Plenty of room to spread out to build our house with out being close to my neighbors.
There are plenty of stores in town to shop for basics and if you need anything they do not have in town it is around 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour ride to Johnson city.
If you like outdoor recreation there is a lot to do.
What time of the year are you going up? The fall is a beautiful time to be there the leafs start changing colors.
Enjoy your time there.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies.
We are trying to get down there in the next 2 months, to visit our son and that area.
We are definitely looking for a laid back area and love outdoor activities.

WCB6902, I replied to your email.

71 Truck, if you don't mind me asking, which realtor company would you recommend?

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Eastern TN is beautiful. My aunt lived in the unincorporated town of Trade near the NC border for a few years. Her place was about as close to heaven as you'll get on this earth.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You'll need to take a language class so you can converse with the natives LOL

We have Eastern TN on the radar as well, NC is pricey, higher taxes, higher cost of property.

Buddy sold his house, moved up bought several acres and a house for about 1/3 of the cost of his home here. He's built a cabin on the property as well.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Mrs. vinnybass' brother lives in Roan Mountain. I could be convinced to retire there as well.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a motorcycle. That town is by the best motorcycling road in TN, maybe the country, maybe the world. For the uninformed, it's Hwy 421, a.k.a. "The Snake".

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 971 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Thank you all for the replies.
We are trying to get down there in the next 2 months, to visit our son and that area.
We are definitely looking for a laid back area and love outdoor activities.

WCB6902, I replied to your email.

71 Truck, if you don't mind me asking, which realtor company would you recommend?

I do not think the realtor we used is still there. You may be able to contact someone near you who may have the ability to find someone in Mountain City for you.
We went up around the end of 2006 after we decided to buy property to look at what our realtor had found for us. By the end of the year we had our land. Now we wait to retire.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Buy a motorcycle. That town is by the best motorcycling road in TN, maybe the country, maybe the world. For the uninformed, it's Hwy 421, a.k.a. "The Snake".

I don't own a motorcycle but in a car that is a beautiful road to drive. My wife says we should do it in our Scion FR-S. We live in Fl 12 to 13 hours away and getting up there would not be comfortable in a small sports car. My wife thinks we should trailer it up one year.

NRA Life Member

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Great choice! Tri Cities will give access to good medical care and between Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City you wont be too backswoods. Smokey Mountains, lakes galore and salt of the earth people.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post