SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
1. Ask if they've had a data logger hooked up - if not, they're sandbagging and/or incompetent. likely the 1st due to the 'flat rate' mentioned above. If they've reproduced the issue w/o a code & haven't hooked up the data logger, ask why.
2. I don't know what Hyundai calls it, but there should be a regional field trouble support rep that should be getting involved anytime a dealer can't figure out something - get their contact info if you haven't already, they have a lot more power to get the ball rolling. Get some face time, much easier to disappoint you over the phone/email. Wear your gun & have your kid make a sad face.
3. Tommy boy said it best - you can shit in a box & put a guarantee on it. Hyundai is known for this kind of crap. I suspect the knowledge transfer from SK to US side is nonexistent. There is someone in SK that could diagnose this by smell, but nobody on the US side knows he exists.
4. If you've had maintenance/work done elsewhere, give them the details. If they suck, they'll try to blame that, but if they're smart, they'll at least consider what could have been touched/removed/monkeyed with & see if it fits into any of their theories.

If it's going into limp mode, the computer is sensing something wrong. If it's not storing a code, the computer is resetting before the code is registered. That's either power (fuse is a good start, but if it's intermittent, less likely ) or computer crapping out. #1 above would see that coming a mile away and give you a place to start. Being able to go into limp mode without a code is shitty design. If there's something wrong & the computer can't tell what, it shouldn't operate - especially with HV in play.

I've chased problems similar to this. The big problem is that no 1 group/person has all the info & you can't get it all laid out in a timely fashion. Dealer techs don't want to deal with it after it gets kicked up the chain, field support guys (which are sales) just want the problem to go away (throw parts at it), design/mfg engineers don't have a good history and don't chase these on a daily basis, so don't have a good methodology.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What’s the latest on this, Chongo?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
What’s the latest on this, Chongo?

Today was the 15th day, 12th business day (I'm counting Saturdays, since the shop is open), and they still have the car.

They blindly replaced one fuse related to the hybrid system with no improvement. Then a second. They told my wife that they now believe it may be a transmission issue, and she understood them to say they are going to replace the transmission. I don't believe they expressly told her it had thrown a code.

At 20 business days the Lemon Law kicks in. The vehicle was purchased as a "Certified Pre-Owned", so though it was bought as a used car, my understanding is that it may still be covered under the Lemon Law if the issue is something that should be covered under warranty.

If the vehicle is not in our driveway and working like a peach a week from today, we are contacting a lawyer to see what we need to do.

I'd be fine with them having to buy the damn thing back at this point.

Oh--and still no loaner vehicle. My wife has asked me to quiet down in hopes that they drag their feet past the 20 day mark...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
You might want to check on the lemon law in your state. When I looked in on it a while ago, it was for new car purchases only. Unless you warranty explicitly says it's covered by the law, or your state covers used-car purchases, you might be unpleasantly surprised.

I found this:
Although North Carolina's Lemon Law does not apply to used cars, you may still have potential legal remedies. The federal law known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies to used vehicles that are still under the original manufacturer's warranty.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
You might want to check on the lemon law in your state. When I looked in on it a while ago, it was for new car purchases only. Unless you warranty explicitly says it's covered by the law, or your state covers used-car purchases, you might be unpleasantly surprised.

I found this:
Although North Carolina's Lemon Law does not apply to used cars, you may still have potential legal remedies. The federal law known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies to used vehicles that are still under the original manufacturer's warranty.

We're aware of the limitations, but have read from one NC lawyer's website that because it was bought as CPO there is potential for it to be covered. We're not banking on it, just waiting for it to be closer to the 20 day mark before we bother a lawyer with it. It is still under the original manufacturer's warranty for both powertrain and the battery system.

Either way, the dealership is not in a hurry Roll Eyes

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

I found this:

Pretty sure Hyundai's 10 year/100k mile power-train warranty is transferable, especially if it's a certified pre-owned vehicle purchased from an authorized dealer.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ever get the car fixed?

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You should read your warranty. From the 2017 Hyundai warranty:

"IMPORTANT: You must use BBB AUTO LINE prior to seeking remedies through a court action pursuant to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ("the Act"), except in Georgia, although that option is still available to you."

All of section 3:

"ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Hyundai Motor America’s internal consumer assistance process will make every effort to resolve every customer concern in a satisfactory manner. We realize, however, that mutual agreement on some issues may not be possible. To ensure that you have had an opportunity to have your concern fully reviewed, Hyundai Motor America provides an Alternative Dispute Resolution (arbitration) program. Hyundai offers the program through:
BBB AUTO LINE
Alternative Dispute Resolution Division
Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
3033 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600
Arlington, Virginia 22201
1-800-955-5100
This service is provided at no cost to you and is part of Hyundai’s effort to provide you with an impartial third-party organization to equitably resolve your concerns. AUTO LINE will perform arbitration services on disputes involving Hyundai vehicles with an alleged nonconformity, defect, or deficient warranty performance, as may be required by state or federal law.

NOTE: If your state law requires written notification to the manufacturer please write:

HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA
Hyundai Customer Care Center
PO Box 20850
Fountain Valley, CA 92728
Consumeraffairs@hmausa.com

To begin the Alternative Dispute Resolution (arbitration) process, simply call the Council of Better Business Bureaus at 1-800-955-5100 and you will be sent a Customer Claim Form, along with a handbook describing how BBB AUTO LINE works. Time and mileage limitations may apply. Please refer to the Owner’s Handbook Supplement for additional information regarding eligibility requirements in your state.

IMPORTANT: You must use BBB AUTO LINE prior to seeking remedies through a court action pursuant to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ("the Act"), except in Georgia, although that option is still available to you. However, if you choose to seek remedies that are not created by the Act, you are not required to use BBB AUTO LINE, although that option is still available to you. You must also use BBB AUTO LINE if you are seeking remedies under the "Lemon Laws" of your state if your state statute requires you to do so."

Link to 2017 warranty: 2017 Hyundia warranty

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Car is still not fixed.

We are working on the next steps this week.

-JALLEN

Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
What a kick in the pants. This goes on and on, and you get to make payments on a car you don’t have, and also no transportation. Wonderful.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My wife was finally able to get a car from them, once they admitted they think it is a warranty item last Tuesday or Wednesday. Mind you, they didn't offer it--she had to demand it again.

They are saying they are replacing the transmission. We are waiting to see if that works, but we're at almost a week of that plan Roll Eyes

-JALLEN

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Based on Hyundai's handling of this issue I've now dropped Hyundai completely from our list of possible purchases.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
In these situations Twitter is your friend. Post about it tagging both the dealership and corporate. They have people at corporate that all they do it monitor twitter and respond to complaints. None of these companies want to lose face in social media.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There is a much longer, off-topic story behind this, but if the dealer here is to be believed, Hyundai seems to have very poor support for older/discontinued models. I have a 2008 Veracruz that needs a variable cam timing sprocket, and they do not exist in their parts pipeline.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
They called my wife today and said they think they will have it ready tomorrow.

That's 24 days total.

I'm not holding my breath.

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
Basically, they have had your car for almost a month and "think" they have solved the problem.

I would ask for my money back.

I see pain in your future with this vehicle.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Request a longer warranty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Annnnnnd not a word today *rolleyes*

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Request a longer warranty

What VW group gave to TDI owners who got the emissions "fix".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
No car.

-JALLEN