SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding! Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Mad

My turn to deal with the suck that is a car dealership.

2014 Hyundai Sonata Limited Hybrid (wife's daily driver/only car). 90,000ish miles. No prior issues. Bought used, certified pre-owned, with around 25,000 miles in 2016. 100,000 mile warranty on the battery, and an extended warranty purchased on the car by my wife, as she drives about 35,000 miles a year.

Monday she was driving to work when it lost power. Wouldn't go over 20 mph or so (maybe less). The battery charge indicator was doing something funny. She could turn it off for a few minutes and back on and it would go for a couple of minutes and then drop back into the limp mode. She ended up crawling it to her parent's house, which just happened to be close. Called the dealership where we bought it to confirm the warranty situation, then had it towed to the local Hyundai dealership to be evaluated (the mechanic the family usually uses won't touch hybrids).

The dealership can replicate the problem. But the car hasn't "thrown a code", and they are telling her (as of 5pm on Wednesday) that they can't do anything until the car throws a code and they can find out what is wrong??? Confused I've never heard of such.

Meanwhile she's driving her prior 90-something Honda Accord that she sold to her dad 15 years ago, while he drives his truck.

I haven't actually seen my wife since Sunday (my lovely work shift) and have received all this via text and phone conversation. But the situation remains that the car is at the dealership, and they can't start working on it because they don't know what's wrong with it, although they acknowledge whatever is wrong, is wrong.

WTF. I'm not sure what to do from here. I feel like they need to either 1. Fix the damn car, 2. Provide us a loaner if they are going to ass around and not fix the damn car, or 3. Tell us they can't fix the car because they are fucking morons and buy it back.

Yes, I know number 3 is unrealistic, but I'm irritated, and nobody can explain why we're waiting on a code that might never come, or what the other options are. And my FIL will eventually want his car back.

It doesn't help my attitude that we are something like $6,000 upside down in this damn car. That's after buying used with a couple of thousand for a downpayment, though the downpayment was a wash after buying the extended warranty (my wife's idea without my consultation). The value of this car dropped like a rock.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
800-633-5151. Hyundai Consumer affairs.

https://m.hyundaiusa.com/contactus.html

Seems to me that if they can replicate the problem they acknowledge that there is a problem and they're obligated to fix it. They're always bragging on their great warranty. Here's their chance to shine.

Good luck.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is really tough to diagnose an issue that isn’t currently an issue. Being that it’s a hybrid they probably haven’t even seen hardly any of them. Call Hyundai directly. It sounds to me like a battery issue or connection issue.

My buddy whose a salesman at infinity told me at about 100k miles or 8 years old is when their batteries start to go and why he got rid of his Infiniti hybrid.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Not to make light of your problem. But it could be worse!

As in, the could have left the oil drain plug loose so it would fall out, leaving her stranded on the side of a 4 lane highway, 20 miles from town. Like the stealerhip did on mine.

After a fight, and email to the president of US Hyundai, they decided to replace the engine.

Bought the car in 2011, only 66K miles on it. Love the car, hate that dealership!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It is really tough to diagnose an issue that isn’t currently an issue.

That's not the case here. Third paragraph, first sentence: "The dealership can replicate the problem."

arfmel's suggestion is what I would do.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They may do it already but dealerships should have access to a worldwide database where all other dealers of a particular brand post what issues they’ve seen and the solution. If it’s happened to one car it’s happened to others.
Of course they could just google it. That’s probably better than just waiting for a code.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I would call corporate or maybe even other dealers. This is what their 10/100 warranty is supposed to be for.

They're basically saying they don't know how to fix the problem because OBD isn't telling them what to fix? Roll Eyes

Those aren't mechanics, those are parts replacers. Just throw parts at the problem until it's fixed or the customer gets tired of waiting.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Seems like the only way to get it to "throw a code" is if they (or someone) keep on driving it for however many miles each day...

It certainly won't do it while sitting parked in a lot...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
So I just left the dealership.

Everything my wife communicated to me was accurate. They are driving the car some every day to see if it will throw a code. The issue has continued uninterrupted.

The service guy told me they could not do anything until a code was showing. My ten year old asked him if they had ever had this problem with any other car, or if they could check with other dealerships to ask them. I looked at him and agreed...I got a couple of “ummm”s and the guy said his hybrid tech is the best around and he won’t start throwing parts at it until it throws the code. Roll Eyes

I asked what the plan was if it was next week, or the week after. No answer.

I asked for a loaner car, since it’s Hyundai telling me they can’t fix the goddam car. Nope...but we’ll rent you one for $25/day before fees. Not acceptable.

So the end result is our car is there indefinitely, and we are having to deal with being short a car because they can’t fix it. They...the freaking DEALERSHIP.

If it was an issue not covered by warranty, I wouldn’t expect a loaner. But I expect some customer service when they are sitting on my car telling me they don’t know when they can even figure out what’s wrong with it.

Current plan is to wait until Monday around noon and check back. If no answer, the wife is going to call corporate and flip shit.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Current plan is to wait until Monday around noon and check back. If no answer, the wife is going to call corporate and flip shit.

I'm not sure I would wait to make that call, in fact I'm damn sure I wouldn't wait.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
With crap like you're receiving from them, WHY would you be willing to wait until Monday?

Use the link kindly provided above and call corporate!!!

I know what a PIA it is to have a screwed schedule and have the wife have to make the call, but from everything you've related so far, she is far above average and to be trusted for things like this... she can at least get the ball rolling!

Good Luck!
Don

Edited to add:
800-633-5151. Hyundai Consumer affairs.

https://m.hyundaiusa.com/contactus.html

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

I'd call now... Monday is Memorial Day - you may not be able to reach corporate...

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call now...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it never throws a code do they keep it forever?

Realize what the OBD II or ONBOARD diagnostics is. Something is putting the car into limp mode; however, the car's computer isn't throwing a trouble code. The dealer should be able to pull the data to see what is outside of parameters that is causing the limp mode. That is using their scan equipment to monitor what the car is doing, not the car's onboard computer to diagnose itself. The car's software or computer could be out of whack hence no code.

Move up the chain NOW as has been said by other posters.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Good point about monday being a holiday.

Calling today.

I have done all the work on all my cars all my life. A "code" was a nice hint, but I'd never wait for a code to pop up to start trying to troubleshoot an obvious issue. I'm boiling.

The car is within the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and the batter system warranty. This is ridiculous.

-JALLEN

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone.

We’ll hear back in 3-5 business days lol

What a joke.

No loaner, but we can submit for reimbursement if we rent a car.

Roll Eyes

-JALLEN

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If my friend’s experience over Christmas is any indication, they won’t reimburse you for jack shit. The bolt holding the alternator in place on his 2017 Tucson snapped halfway to upstate NY and he had to get a hotel for two days while he waited for the nearest dealership to come get the vehicle and fix it. He tried to get reimbursed for the cost of the hotel but Hyundai told him to piss off.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why a code hasn't been thrown, but it sounds like a sensor is bad. Whenever a vehicle goes into "limp mode", that means the computer can't determine what a sensor is saying. I would venture that a speed sensor, or the differential speed sensor is bad. You might need to ask if anyone has had the same problem in a Hyundai forum.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Son of a bitch, not sure why I didn’t suggest this earlier. I had a problem with a throttle position sensor on a Kia Sorento a few years ago. Vehicle went into limp mode like you described. See if the hybrids suffer the same issue.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Their plan is to drive it for another 10,000 miles and tell you the warranty has run out. Razz

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post