SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding! Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If it's actually fixed, keep it and run it into the ground. It doesn't sound like it's given you any other trouble in the 70,000 miles you put on it and you have an extended warranty. I'd have a hard time justifying paying $6,500 to get rid of the car and coming up with even more cash for a down payment on a different car.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The car is ready. Transmission was replaced. 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on it.

I spoke with the owner. He was polite and apologized for not giving us a loaner right off the bat. He said the request was never passed up by the service advisor. We asked for a loaner for 16 days before we got one, asking both the service advisor and corporate.

I’m still pissed. But with the lack of equity we’ll probably drive this thing into the ground.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it is fixed. And yes, you have every right to still be pissed.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Holy shit.

20 miles later and we’ve got alerts telling us the hybrid system is malfunctioning and to immediately pull over.

Mad

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Hope that you got the dealer principal's home phone.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pitiful. We’ll see if the big smell at the top, who apologized for not getting you a loaner, really meant it.

Maybe consider taking the POS to a different dealer?

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
yikes. what a nightmare

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JK?

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your dealership sound like a shady bunch of incompetent dirtbags.

This sounds like a failure in the inverter and inverter coolant pump from the hybrid system. Last year Toyota did a recall on some gen II Prius hybrids and did software updates for the rest to reduce voltage through the inverter system.

If the coolant and inverter pump system is not working, the main fuses in the inverter can pop and the car will default to a "limp mode" that just uses the EV motor to generate power. Your description of what happened sounds similar.

I would wager that the inverter system Hyundai is using may be similar in design to what Toyota uses.

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKAngusKL:

This sounds like a failure in the inverter and inverter coolant pump from the hybrid system. Last year Toyota did a recall on some gen II Prius hybrids and did software updates for the rest to reduce voltage through the inverter system.

If the coolant and inverter pump system is not working, the main fuses in the inverter can pop and the car will default to a "limp mode" that just uses the EV motor to generate power. Your description of what happened sounds similar.

I would wager that the inverter system Hyundai is using may be similar in design to what Toyota uses.

If this were the case, would this not throw codes? Does with Toyota. Will be easy to determine, drive it while looking at the temperature data and see if it does overheat.

If this is like a Toyota system, the inverter cooling pump is electric and runs when the system is on. Look at the inverter cooling tank and see if there is coolant flow, if so, pump is working.

I'm still with my initial thought of it being the battery.

I would love to remove the cover of the hybrid battery and look at all of the individual module connectors. I'd bet there is quite a bit of corrosion present. As we all know, anything electric hates corrosion.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

If this were the case, would this not throw codes? Does with Toyota.

If this is like a Toyota system, the inverter cooling pump is electric and runs when the system is on. Look at the inverter cooling tank and see if there is coolant flow, if so, pump is working.

A hybrid battery failure should also throw a different code. No idea as to why the car isn't showing error codes. Limp mode can be caused mechanically by a failed Torrington bearing in the transmission, but they already rebuilt the transmission. Definitely a stumper unless this is some sort of an ECU software issue.

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It may be the HPCU (Hybrid Power Control Unit) and is about a 5000 dollar part that should be covered by the warranty. Was also reading it could be the transmission pump.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKAngusKL:
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

If this were the case, would this not throw codes? Does with Toyota.

A hybrid battery failure should also throw a different code. No idea as to why the car isn't showing error codes. Limp mode can be caused mechanically by a failed Torrington bearing in the transmission, but they already rebuilt the transmission. Definitely a stumper unless this is some sort of an ECU software issue.

True. Possibly a damaged wiring issue too. I hope they checked the CAN system for all control modules communicating.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
About to say F it and trade this thing in for a Honda Pilot.

We’re evaluating our options.

-JALLEN

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’m liking the local TV station suggestions. You’ve done Facebook, add twitter, Yelp, local TV, and if the piece of garbage will run, magnetic signs on the doors with pictures sent to the dealership owner and corporate. If they are going to treat you this poorly, you should do the public service of letting everyone possible know that the Hyundai product is garbage and that the dealership is uninterested in solving the problem, incapable of solving the problem, or both.

Time to go scorched earth. Just make sure you keep it factual.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Any update?

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The car threw codes and alerts the first two days we had it, but Sunday the service dept was closed and Monday when I was driving there I stopped and turned it off and the light went away. We haven’t had another come on yet, and I drove it about a hundred miles.

Still evaluating options on getting rid of it. After a few days driving my Jeep, my wife wants her own Smile lol

-JALLEN

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Let it fly while all is well. Life is too short to keep something unreliable if you can afford better.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hyundai. So, an 80% chance.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
The car threw codes and alerts the first two days we had it, but Sunday the service dept was closed and Monday when I was driving there I stopped and turned it off and the light went away. We haven’t had another come on yet, and I drove it about a hundred miles.

Still evaluating options on getting rid of it. After a few days driving my Jeep, my wife wants her own Smile lol

Those codes should still be stored in the computer, even though the alerts/codes arent showing on the dash.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post