SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding! Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptruck:
I'm not sure why a code hasn't been thrown, but it sounds like a sensor is bad. Whenever a vehicle goes into "limp mode", that means the computer can't determine what a sensor is saying. I would venture that a speed sensor, or the differential speed sensor is bad. You might need to ask if anyone has had the same problem in a Hyundai forum.


Basically the "computer" signals from various sensors. If the signals are within their parameters the "computer" see's no problem. No problem, no code.

The bitch is on most, not all newer model cars there is no code for a bad "computer".

Nobody in the business should be calling them "computers". There known as control modules now.I would question anybody's competice other wise.



"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?
 
Posts: 1196 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
So, there is a problem that the dealer can replicate but they can't fix it because it won't throw a code.

Do they have any techs in that dealership or just people who can read codes?
 
Posts: 5857 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
When the local Ford dealership replaced the frame on my F350, it threw a code. Unfortunately, they didn't know what it meant or how to fix it. After three calls to a Ford engineer, they found a hose that was part of the emissions system they squished when they lowered the cab back onto the frame with the engine and transmission installed.

I hope your Hyundai throws a meaningful code.
 
Posts: 4045 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Circling the bowl
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
So, there is a problem that the dealer can replicate but they can't fix it because it won't throw a code.

Do they have any techs in that dealership or just people who can read codes?




Exactly! The knuckle dragger can't take his scan tool and watch the data live? Guarantee you will see what's happening with live data.

It's a bullshit excuse that they can't do anything without a freaking code. All sorts of computer issues happen, and cause many issues without setting a code.


This sounds just like a battery not charging issue. Could be a bad cell or more, or even corrosion on the cell connectors. A new battery should remedy this issue.
 
Posts: 4803 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
If this is not resolved by Friday I would go to a store and get a four foot pine pole and put on a sign that says this dealership cannot fix my car.


The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic and a killer. D. H. Lawrence
 
Posts: 613 | Location: colorado | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that walking back and forth, on public property, in front of the dealership will drive them crazy.


The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic and a killer. D. H. Lawrence
 
Posts: 613 | Location: colorado | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Their plan is to drive it for another 10,000 miles and tell you the warranty has run out. Razz


Yep




 
Posts: 23097 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they’re trying to wait until the warranty is up to avoid paying for another battery. The previous poster is right. They can see live data if they choose. Heck, you can buy a live data scan tool on amazon for around 100 bucks.

Personally, After the car is repaired, I’d take the hit and trade it in on a Honda or Toyota.


———————————————-
Every socialist is a disguised dictator—Ludwig von Mises
 
Posts: 462 | Location: North And East Of The Big Chicken | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it may have gone into a "limp mode" for some reason. Have you done a Google search to see what other people might be discussing about the symptoms you're experiencing? I've been lucky and have fixed a couple of problems on different vehicles by seeing what other people had done. They were minor fixes to what seemed like significant problems and saved me quite a bit in diagnostic costs. Just spit-ballin here... Cool Good luck - it's a frustrating situation to be sure!
 
Posts: 4359 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
So, there is a problem that the dealer can replicate but they can't fix it because it won't throw a code.

Do they have any techs in that dealership or just people who can read codes?



Exactly! The knuckle dragger can't take his scan tool and watch the data live? Guarantee you will see what's happening with live data.

It's a bullshit excuse that they can't do anything without a freaking code. All sorts of computer issues happen, and cause many issues without setting a code.


This sounds just like a battery not charging issue. Could be a bad cell or more, or even corrosion on the cell connectors. A new battery should remedy this issue.


It’s a hybrid!!! Lots of expensive batteries!
 
Posts: 16271 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Circling the bowl
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
So, there is a problem that the dealer can replicate but they can't fix it because it won't throw a code.

Do they have any techs in that dealership or just people who can read codes?



Exactly! The knuckle dragger can't take his scan tool and watch the data live? Guarantee you will see what's happening with live data.

It's a bullshit excuse that they can't do anything without a freaking code. All sorts of computer issues happen, and cause many issues without setting a code.


This sounds just like a battery not charging issue. Could be a bad cell or more, or even corrosion on the cell connectors. A new battery should remedy this issue.


It’s a hybrid!!! Lots of expensive batteries!



I know what a fucking hybrid battery consists of, I replace the fucking things all of the time. rebuilt some even. So please just shut the fuck up on shit you know nothing about.


Let's look at a Gen2 Prius hybrid battery. They have 26 cells inside. I can buy each cell for about $40 each. So, I can take a Prius battery to new status for a little over $1000. Anybody can rebuild these things.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shifferbrains,
 
Posts: 4803 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
jimmy, jimmy.

Please revisit the threads you've posted to in the last day or two. Perhaps you'll discover something.
 
Posts: 84312 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
So, there is a problem that the dealer can replicate but they can't fix it because it won't throw a code.

Do they have any techs in that dealership or just people who can read codes?



Exactly! The knuckle dragger can't take his scan tool and watch the data live? Guarantee you will see what's happening with live data.

It's a bullshit excuse that they can't do anything without a freaking code. All sorts of computer issues happen, and cause many issues without setting a code.


This sounds just like a battery not charging issue. Could be a bad cell or more, or even corrosion on the cell connectors. A new battery should remedy this issue.


It’s a hybrid!!! Lots of expensive batteries!



I know what a fucking hybrid battery consists of, I replace the fucking things all of the time. rebuilt some even. So please just shut the fuck up on shit you know nothing about.


Let's look at a Gen2 Prius hybrid battery. They have 26 cells inside. I can buy each cell for about $40 each. So, I can take a Prius battery to new status for a little over $1000. Anybody can rebuild these things.


EXACTLY , no dealer is going to install $1000 in batteries and give the OP free labor and batteries if they are not 100% sure, the batteries are the issue, and changing them does not fix the problem.

I diagnose, sell, and my business installs 50-150 group 27- 200 lb 8D Deka and odyssey lead/acid, AGM, and GEL batteries each and every year since 2002. So I do know a thing or two about batteries.

The yacht I am on right this instant has 5 battery banks, 2-12 volt, 3-24 volt, 8 group 31 agms, and 12 8Ds all with a lifespan of 2.5 years, I manage/maintain 10 yachts and work on another 100-200 yachts per year, all with multiple banks and at least 12 batteries group 31 or larger. I have had an account with east penn/deka since 2002.
 
Posts: 16271 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I swear you’re just trolling to see how far you can push your luck. Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 11193 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Jeezus. Quit arguing with Jimmy.

Car is still there. No phone call today. I just bought a Jeep from this dealership group. Wife was planning to buy a Toyota next year.

Guess who won’t get our business?

Seriously. What happens if it never throws a code?




Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
 
Posts: 10045 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Absofuckinglutly amazing.





A LIBERAL IS A MAN WHO WILL GIVE AWAY EVERY THING HE DOESN'T OWN.
 
Posts: 3445 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously. What happens if it never throws a code?


What does the warranty say the remedies are if it can't be fixed or the cost of the repairs exceed the value of the vehicle?
 
Posts: 4045 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Circling the bowl
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

Seriously. What happens if it never throws a code?



It seems to this dealer, if there is no code they can't go further, even though they can duplicate the issue. Don't know if this is a dealership policy or manufacturer policy. Does not make sense that they can't pinpoint the issue without a code present. Plenty of issues occur without a code ever being produced.

Would be different if there were no codes and no symptoms, but not the case here.

They have the tools to do a proper diagnosis without a code being present, the ongoing issue should point them in the proper direction for fixing the issue. I would keep pressing the issue with them. Sucks that you have to wait for corporate to get back to you though.
 
Posts: 4803 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the translation is "I get paid flat rate, which is shit on warranty work, so I'm not spending any more time than is absolutely necessary. And diagnostics is time I could be making money swapping parts on something else."

I hate parts swappers that call themselves technicians. Seriously, it's the dealer. They have every tool at their disposal needed to figure out what the problem is and fix it, with one exception. Someone who isn't a lazy sumbitch.


------------

The people have spoken... The bastards.
 
Posts: 2091 | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
If you raise enough hell tney will move on this. You are being far too easy on them. I used to work at the big 3. I followed each case to resolution. Sometimes we just bought them back, figured out what was wrong and resold them. Everybody wins this way. Get an attorney and begin legal action. Sounds like you have good case. I know 2 people who have had Tuscons bought back by Hundai.


Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom
 
Posts: 1877 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid...27 days later it’s....Ha! Just kidding!

© SIGforum 2018