SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Taxing the rich...well this just got interesting.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxing the rich...well this just got interesting. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Pretty much a wash for me. I think I itemized 13,000-14,000ish last year. Will help when married I guess at $24k as she is taking std deduction. Tax bracket not likely to change.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Donald Trump unveils 'biggest tax cut' in US history!

They always say that.... both those who want a tax cut and those like Schumer who want to demagogue it.

But then.... they want it to be "revenue neutral" at the same time.
So... my question is: Is it really a tax cut if it brings in the same amount of revenue? Or is it just a re-shuffle?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
And when is he going to unveil the biggest budget cut in US history? Or does he not care if he's ballooning the deficit?

Cutting taxes without cutting spending is every bit as bad as raising spending without raising taxes. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Whenever politicians talk tax or budget cut, they are talking about over ten years.

When they raise taxes or a budget item, it's one year.

Kennedy and Reagan showed that cutting taxes can raise revenue by stimulating the economy. The problem is that they and/or congress go out and spend all that and more.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
And when is he going to unveil the biggest budget cut in US history? Or does he not care if he's ballooning the deficit?

Cutting taxes without cutting spending is every bit as bad as raising spending without raising taxes. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

He says that with lower taxes and more enticement for jobs to come to/stay in US the tax base will grow and off set the lower rate.

It's impossible to cut taxes and be revenue neutral in year one or early years. It is his premise that lower taxes grows business, it's all just a question if lower rate on higher revenues offset or not over time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Whenever politicians talk tax or budget cut, they are talking about over ten years.

I've always thought those ten year projections are total BS. There is no way the economy can be predicted with any accuracy that far out, especially when multiple election cycles will happen during that time.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I’m born raised and live in the SF Bay Area.

I will be paying more taxes period. Do I like that ? No but states with government like California deserve this.

I have a business here and we will see what happens with the corporate taxes to see how it all works out in the end for me personally.

I’m for the change.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That's the premise. I don't think that premise has ever been proven. Usually tax cuts just increase the deficit.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

He says that with lower taxes and more enticement for jobs to come to/stay in US the tax base will grow and off set the lower rate.

It's impossible to cut taxes and be revenue neutral in year one or early years. It is his premise that lower taxes grows business, it's all just a question if lower rate on higher revenues offset or not over time.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Our national debt is 20 trillion dollars.

We continue to spend more than we take in.

I have no illusion that any of us will actually see a tax cut. Guys, think about it, it's impossible. We will need to raise taxes, it's just the reality of it.

What I like about this plan is that it at least levels the playing field on how much each state is contributing per dollar earned to the national coffers.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Actually, we can keep taxes the way they are, and cut the budget. The latter has to be done. I can't be allowed to keep growing, It would outstrip any attempt to raise taxes to keep up.

quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Our national debt is 20 trillion dollars.

We continue to spend more than we take in.

I have no illusion that any of us will actually see a tax cut. Guys, think about it, it's impossible. We will need to raise taxes, it's just the reality of it.

What I like about this plan is that it at least levels the playing field on how much each state is contributing per dollar earned to the national coffers.

posted Hide Post
How did the conversation go on the hill: One repub to another. "Hey, we can't figure out something easy, that is, how to pass funding for the wall, so lets take on something complex and contentious instead".

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep.
We can't keep on adding $440 billion to the debt every year.... we can't "grow the economy" enough to keep up with it. The debt has recently surpassed the entire economy in size.

The government has to be cut. But NO ONE seems to want to say so or do it.

The U.S. federal budget deficit for fiscal year 2018 is $440 billion. FY 2018 covers October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2018. The deficit occurs because the U.S. government spending of $4.094 trillion is higher than its revenue of $3.654 trillion. (Source: "2018 Budget. Table 2," Office of Management and Budget, March 16, 2017.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/omb/budget/MSR

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:We will need to raise taxes, it's just the reality of it.

I hate paying the huge tax bills I currently have, but would actually support a bit of an increase IF it was entirely put toward paying down the debt and was matched 2:1 with spending cuts. Since that will never happen.............

It's a useless discussion when 2/3 of the budget is politically off limits for cuts. All the hand wringing debate in Congress is barely scratching at the surface of what needs to be done.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I’m born raised and live in the SF Bay Area.

I will be paying more taxes period. Do I like that ? No but states with government like California deserve this.

I have a business here and we will see what happens with the corporate taxes to see how it all works out in the end for me personally.

I’m for the change.

I understand that if you own a small business that is an LLC or Sub S the pass through will be capped ( Don't remember the exact percentage...20% maybe) instead of just added to your income.
That should help most small businesses.
Also, they will allow 100% depreciation of capital purchases in the year its purchased instead of over many years (depending on the item).

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post