SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Taxing the rich...well this just got interesting.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxing the rich...well this just got interesting. Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v...6001/?#sp=show-clips

Long story short:

You can deduct your state and local taxes paid from your federal taxes if you itemize your deductions.

So, California's richest residents pay around 12% in state tax and who knows on their local taxes.

My state's richest folks (Ohio) pay around 5% in state and local taxes.

And Florida's richest pay 0% on their income taxes...Local obviously varies.

It sounds like one the tax fixes being proposed is to eliminate the federal deduction for state and local income taxes. Keep in mind, for the most part, it's wealthy people who tend to take itemized deductions.

Libs in states like Cali, Ill and NY all want to tax the rich! Eliminating this state and local deductions would do just that, so they can't really be against it.

The problem for the libs in states like that is they have the highest state taxes, so their residents will be hit the hardest.

If this is done, a rich guy in Cali will pay 12% more, Ohio will rich folks 5% more and Richy Rich in Florida won't notice any difference at all.

I find this not only comical, but socially correct. Why should you get a break from chipping into the federal tax pool just because your state is poorly run?

I don't consider Steward Varney to be right all the time, but I didn't really think about this angle, but now that I have, I love it!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'm in FL won't hurt me a bit.....

Go for it!

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Not just the "rich" itemize their taxes. Those with homes do to. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty middle class, and I always itemize my tax returns. From the looks of where this is going, there is an interest in eliminating my home mortgage deduction, and the deductions I take for paying sales taxes to state and local government. I'm not impressed.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I see it like this:
The citizens will rail against the Hight property tax states like NY NJ and for the Libs to restructure or lose even more taxpaying residents.
Trump will succeed in firing them to adapt!
Win Win!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Not sure how Varney comes up with the idea it's a "big plus" for states with no income tax.

Eliminating the interest deduction has been kicked around, but that is a tough sell politically. Truth be told though, you are being "subsidized" by the feds on your mortgage by being able to deduct the interest.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I'm in Florida, so it doesn't affect me - but that is kind of the point. I chose to live in a state that respected my income. People who chose to live in high tax states don't face the full cost of that choice, and there is no reason why they shouldn't. As a matter of economics, the deduction of state/local taxes from your federal taxable income is just a subsidy to high-tax states that protects people in those states from the consequences of their decisions.

The politicians in places like CA, NY, IL, MA etc can keep raising taxes because they know that the citizens of their states are not shouldering the full burden of those increases. They get to lay off some of the burden on federal taxpayers in all 50 states who never voted for those tax increases. Let's see how eager the wealthy folks in those states are to pay those taxes and to keep voting for the politicians that keep increasing them when that deduction is disallowed.

I know a lot of people are "trapped" by work, family or other circumstances in these states that would get hosed, but as a matter of conservative principle and basic economics, there is no real reason for this deduction to survive.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Trump is making a smart move.
He is selling this as a middle class cut and (slightly) raising the taxes of a few rich people.
Now the Democrats, and so called moderate Republicans, have to find a way to vote against that.

On a slightly different part of the same subject, those itemizing and claiming the mortgage interest deduction are only getting the amount above using the standard deduction (2017 is $12,700 for married). His plan would double that deduction to offset the removal of that deduction. If the numbers hold, that would be $25,400 and the tax filing and record keeping process for most middle class without other things would be much simpler.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Just for clarification, this isn't talking about doing away with the mortgage interest deduction.

If you live in a state like Florida, nothing would really change for you. It's a "plus" for Florida in that you don't really get a benefit on your personal taxes, but what you do get is more federal funding without it coming from your wallet.

And yes, about 1/3 of tax payers take itemized deductions. If you have a big mortgage and live in a high tax state, your odds are higher.

I didn't say only the richest folks itemize, I said it's wealthy people who tend to do so.

How much over the standard deduction are you by itemizing? How much of your state and local income taxes counting towards that overage?

The answer to those two questions will decide if you like this or not.

I know I'm not escaping our current debt situation without my taxes being raised to pay for it. I'm just happy to hear the those in Democrat states will be hit harder.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
but as a matter of economics, the deduction of state/local taxes from your federal taxable income is just a subsidy to high-tax states.

That's how I see it and why I like this idea.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
As I understand it there is no elimination of home mortgage interest deduction in the plan, just discussion of eliminating state tax deductions, and that is not settled. Personally, since we're now back in California, that would cost me a lot, but it's the right thing to do (i.e. eliminate the state tax deduction).

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
For those of us with huge property tax bills this is troubling. And we need more people paying federal income taxes, not less like I am hearing about is part of the plan. Not impressed either. I have read that almost half of those working pay none to very little federal income taxes.

Build the fucking wall instead of working on a bad tax plan.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Looks like they want to double the standard deduction. That's what protects the middle folks who are itemizing now. Smart move really.

but yeah grumpy, if you'd still itemize even with the standard deduction being doubled, you're gonna get hit in Illinois. Unfortunately that's how it should be. That's federalism and voting with our feet in action IMO.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'm in FL won't hurt me a bit.....

Go for it!
^^^Bingo.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would definitely cost me more in MN, but it would take away some of the political cover that politicians use to mask our high state taxes. Probably a good thing.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Not just the "rich" itemize their taxes. Those with homes do to. Wink

Well.... it's not all homeowners, it's only those with a mortgage.

quote:
So, California's richest residents pay around 12% in state tax and who knows on their local taxes.
My state's richest folks (Ohio) pay around 5% in state and local taxes.
And Florida's richest pay 0% on their income taxes...Local obviously varies.
It sounds like one the tax fixes being proposed is to eliminate the federal deduction for state and local income taxes. Keep in mind, for the most part, it's wealthy people who tend to take itemized deductions.

HA!
Yep, eliminate ALL deductions and lower the rates. It would be much simpler, and yes, it would hit hardest those paying the highest state and local taxes.

The framework aims to consolidate the current seven tax brackets into three brackets of 12%, 25% and 35%.

I don't think it goes far enough. I don't think anyone should pay over 20% of their income to the federal government.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan, also federally subsidized flood insurance should go also.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Sounds like a plan, also federally subsidized flood insurance should go also.

Building (in some cases rebuilding) in a flood plain is the perfect definition of a pre-existing condition.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
So currently if someone lives in Florida, he is sending more to the Feds than someone making the same taxable income who lives in CA? I can see why the Feds would want to eliminate that deduction. But it will really put the bite on people in CA and other such tax gluttonous states.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
So currently if someone lives in Florida, he is sending more to the Feds than someone making the same taxable income who lives in CA? I can see why the Feds would want to eliminate that deduction. But it will really put the bite on people in CA and other such tax gluttonous states.

yes exactly. I think as more Americans realize this, they will be in favor of this plan. Even worse, many of these high income tax states are receiving more federal money than they put in. So Cali is paying less than Florida into the federal pot, AND they're taking more out of it. Most folks don't realize how this works and it looks like DJT is about to 'splain it to them.

There is no penalty to living in high income states if you currently itemize. So really, there is no pressure on local government to lower taxes...or at least not much pressure.

Watch, local governments will protest the hell out of this! They know this would make them accountable to their citizens and they don't want any part of that.