SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Damaged Money Reimbursement, Replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damaged Money Reimbursement, Replacement Login/Join 
posted
Has anybody ever done this?
One site that explains the process, https://m.wikihow.com/Get-Damaged-Currency-Replaced

Of course the major problem I see is getting the original money to be replaced...legally seems to be a requirement!

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
A bank will replace your damaged currency as long as you have more than half of it.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I've used that twice.

While treasure hunting in Lake Washington I found a money clip that had deteriorated bills under the clip. All that was left was an inch of the bills and 3 security strips $10, $20, $20.

I mailed it to the Treasury, they verified it was real at one time and they sent me $50 back. I mailed it in July and got check a month later- But mine was easy to identify.

In 2009 I mailed the pieces Registered Mail to:
Dept. of the Treasury
Office of Currency Standards
P.O. Box 37048
Washinton, DC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: braillediver,

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a large amount, just about any bank will replace or will take in as a deposit. In my business we deposit torn/worn bills all the time never a problem. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Sock eating Golden would be your go to guy on this. Wink

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once, when I was working as a restaurant manager, I came across a very odd looking $10 bill. It was in good shape but just weird. I called the local FBI office, thinking it might have been counterfeit, and they sent an agent RIGHT OUT, like within 15 min. !

It turned that it ws real, but such an old design that it should have been taken out of circulation decades ago. HE CONFISCATED IT!
Probably a mistake to call them at all. I should have kept it and researched it myself.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
Once, when I was working as a restaurant manager, I came across a very odd looking $10 bill. It was in good shape but just weird. I called the local FBI office, thinking it might have been counterfeit, and they sent an agent RIGHT OUT, like within 15 min. !

It turned that it ws real, but such an old design that it should have been taken out of circulation decades ago. HE CONFISCATED IT!
Probably a mistake to call them at all. I should have kept it and researched it myself.

I wonder if he took it to a bank and exchanged it for a current bill. Roll Eyes

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

So it was legal currency, just an old design, and the FBI agent confiscated it! Did you get a receipt, or reimbursement? That is theft! I think I would have called either the FBI office or secret service, who handles counterfeit money, reported the theft along with the agents name and badge number. What if the $10 bill, had a monetary value that was significantly more than $10, and the agent profited from it? As we are now finding out the FBI does strange things with the law. I want to add that my two previous dealings with the FBI were above board and they were very helpful and above board but the quoted Incident sounds to me like theft.

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What if the $10 bill, had a monetary value that was significantly more than $10, and the agent profited from it?

We had that happen locally. If you were arrested a local police department would take your cash and deposit it in the bank for safe keeping (don't know if there was an amount, or if they did it for all cash). When you were released they would give you a check in the amount you had on you.

A local guy carried a $1,000 bill with him for good luck. He was arrested, given a $1,000 check in lieu of his more valuable collectible, and the $1,000 bill was later discovered adorning the desk of the police chief.

Sometimes cash is worth more than face value. Just because it is old doesn't mean it "has to be removed from circulation". It is still legal tender if somebody is foolish enough to spend it. What you may find is that it was stolen during a burglary and spent as cash by the thieves who had no idea it was actually a collectible.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
So it was legal currency, just an old design, and the FBI agent confiscated it! Did you get a receipt, or reimbursement? That is theft!

I was young and naive at the time. I just accepted the Agent's word and surrendered it.
And I am not sure, in my faded memory, if it was the FBI or Secret Service. But I had called them, so I knew it was a real agent.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
So it was legal currency, just an old design, and the FBI agent confiscated it! Did you get a receipt, or reimbursement? That is theft!

I was young and naive at the time. I just accepted the Agent's word and surrendered it.
And I am not sure, in my faded memory, if it was the FBI or Secret Service. But I had called them, so I knew it was a real agent.

Wonder if it was a gold standard bill. In 1933 FDR forced people to turn their gold in. The Lindbergh kidnapper was caught when he used some of the ransum money that was in gold notes.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
Sock eating Golden would be your go to guy on this. Wink

Big Grin That was a shitty situation!!!

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post