SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was hoping for a screen play but I’ll settle for a graphic novel of one of my absolute favorite non fiction books.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was hoping for a screen play but I’ll settle for a graphic novel of one of my absolute favorite non fiction books. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
A few years ago I posted up a book review and a karma of a few copies of a book that I absolutely adore, Stealing Speed by Mat Oxley. I’ve always said if done properly Stealing Speed would be a spectacular success as a screen play. It has good marketing potential too for motorcycle manufacturers as it could very well help inject some much needed enthusiasm into the motorcycle scene. Much like that unfortunate film The Fast and the Furious introduced countless people to the world of street racing and car modifications Stealing Speed has tremendous potential to introduce people to the awesome and addictive world of Motorcycle Grand Prix Racing and the Isle of Man TT. Especially when you consider it is a TRUE STORY.

Well I didn’t get the screen play I was hoping for BUT I did recently discover Mat Oxley has a graphic novel of Stealing Speed. I ordered a copy immediately for myself and one for my best friend. Cool The price isn’t too bad. It’s £34 (roughly $44 USD) but shipping will probably take a while. I’ve bought a few things from the UK recently and shipping has been SLOW.

Here is the link to check out Mat’s new book.

For those who don't know this amazing tale... This is the amazing true story of how one of Japan’s biggest motorcycle manufacturers stole a Nazi secret-weapon engineer’s secrets from behind the Iron Curtain to win the motorcycle power race and conquer the world

In 1961, with the Cold War at its height and the world on the brink of Armageddon, the East and West were fighting a very different battle on the racetracks of Europe. Powered by two-stroke engine technology developed by former Nazi engineer Walter Kaaden, tiny East German motorcycle factory MZ took on the might of the emerging Japanese motorcycle industry with the most powerful bikes in the world.

This is the story of MZ rider Ernst Degner who defected to the West at the height of his battle for the 1961 world championship and sold MZ’s winning two-stroke engine secrets to Suzuki, while his wife and children were drugged and smuggled through the newly built Berlin Wall.

***spoiler****
The following year Suzuki and Degner made history by winning the two-stroke’s first world championship and Japan was on its way to conquering the world of motorcycling. Branded a traitor by East Germany’s communist authorities, Degner’s life took a downward spiral, he suffered horrific injuries in a fiery racing accident and died in mysterious circumstances, addicted to morphine.
***spoiler****

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this! I love history like this that I’ve never come across because it’s outside of the realm of my normal interests. I loved Ford vs Ferrari and it sounds like this would be even more entertaining!
Thank you again!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If done right I think the screen play would be well received much like Ford Vs Ferrari. The story really reads like a spy novel at times.

I believe Mat Oxley signs all the books sold on his website too. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bump for the motorcycle and racing enthusiasts who might have missed the thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got a notice that my order was received but no update on shipping. I suppose I should be more patient as it will likely take a long time to come in the mail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Alrighty! I received my signed copy of Stealing Speed. This is a great graphic novel! It went into great detail on the technical aspects of how a former Nazi scientist took fueling and exhaust tech from the V1 rocket’s pulse jet engine and applied it to motorcycle engines.

I wish it would have spent a little more time on Degner’s successful 1962 season and Suzuki’s first championship rather than the 61 season. I understand why they focused on that season given all the dramatic events that occurred.

The story seemed to conclude a bit abruptly. I wanted more but I suppose that’s an indicator that Stealing Speed is a very good book.

If you like motorcycles, history, and racing you will probably enjoy this book quite a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~