SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida overrun by iguanas. Edible?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida overrun by iguanas. Edible? Login/Join 
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
I was visiting a friend who lived in the Keys at the time. They were everywhere. We may have been shelling them with a spudgun. Fun times.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
People eat alligator and snakes; an iguana isn't that much different.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I watched something a while back about people hunting iguanas with heavy duty pellet rifles and eating them. It was someplace in Central or South America.
I've eaten snake and alligator and turtle and liked them all. I'd try iguana.

If it was the show I'm thinking of it was Puerto Rico. (Guns & Gear?)
The pellet guns were the used because of the severe restrictions on firearms.
Farmers love it because of how destructive the things are to irrigation canals. Non-native species so no natural predators.

They're not on my menu desires.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the bright side you can eat all the crickets you want, they are kosher

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Nope. And hell nope.

H&K-Guy is not into the bush meats.

H&K-Guy

Bush Meat... Eek Eek

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8883 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I watched something a while back about people hunting iguanas with heavy duty pellet rifles and eating them. It was someplace in Central or South America.
I've eaten snake and alligator and turtle and liked them all. I'd try iguana.

If it was the show I'm thinking of it was Puerto Rico. (Guns & Gear?)
The pellet guns were the used because of the severe restrictions on firearms.
Farmers love it because of how destructive the things are to irrigation canals. Non-native species so no natural predators.

They're not on my menu desires.

That sounds right.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Nah it tastes like shit, but you can live on it.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iguana meat is popular in Guatemala, according to a friend who is from there.

Posts: 491 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Heading to the bayside from a canal in Islamorada, I heard a zing not far from my head. An iguana eradicator had just let a pellet go and didn't see the boat approaching. He might have missed me by feet, but it could have been by inches.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Here's the recipe that was sent to me, as I got it.

quote:

If the iguana has any eggs, set them aside to be added later.

Cut the iguana into small pieces. Put it in the pot with water, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, sweet pepper, and cilantro. This is similar to making chicken soup. It should last a while cooking. Somewhere during this period, add annatto (condiment from the achiote seed) to give the soup a bit of color.

At this point, the meat should not be tender, just cooked. It will get tender when you mix in the milk and coconut milk and let it finish cooking with them.

Now this is the best part: depending on the size of the iguana, maybe two pounds, pour one liter (a little over one quart) of milk and two cans of coconut milk (Goya for preference) into a big pot, and add a bit more of the pepper, onion, sweet pepper, garlic and cilantro, BUT NOT SALT.

Turn the stove on high and start stirring until it's boiling. Turn the stove down to medium and keep stirring while putting in the iguana chunks.

You're going to need to keep stirring what's in the pot all of the way through until the iguana is cooked and ready to eat. Milk and coconut milk both curdle very easily if you don't stir them while they boil and when you add salt.

Turn up the heat again. Once the big pot boils again, taste it to determine whether or how much salt you want to add. Let it continue boiling until the meat is tender. At that point you can add the iguana eggs to the pot and let them boil for fifteen minutes.

You can also add yucca or green bananas to the pot - they cook very easily.

Serve with while rice.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Never tried one but I can tell you that several years ago the Florida Sportsman had an article on how to humanely kill them and gave two recipes on how to cook them. They where out of control at the time to. We (south Florida) then had a really good cold snap that lasted over a month and the SOBs where falling out of trees dead. Really did a number on em. But they are back in full force again. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Grill em, put some butter and garlic...

I ate It when I was in the islands, they sometimes use jerk spices

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Would seen like a good pet food all ground up...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post