SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida overrun by iguanas. Edible?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida overrun by iguanas. Edible? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’m guessing that they taste like chicken.

“The iguana population in South Florida has gotten so out of control that it's preventing people from working and even enjoying themselves at home, leading some to take the drastic measure of calling in catchers and exterminators…”

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...-swimming-pools.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good business opportunity.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wish I was in
Tijuana
Eating barbecued iguana …

(@2:06)

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
At least one travel writer thinks it tastes more like duck or hen.

Hunting?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that they are tasty and have been hunted to the point of being rare in some native locales. If I lived in Florida, I’d be willing to give it a try if I could find a good recipe for preparing one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
bizarre foods had an episode from Fla where Zimern ate Iguana (caught wild) and some tropical fish that was not native,

looked good when prepared

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

Nonsense.

They taste like monitor lizard.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I bet barbecued or fried iguana would taste fine.

I would try it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Not kosher.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tree Chicken.

Or so it's called in a few of the island vacation spots...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
They've been eating them in Central America for a while, at least. Don't have a recipe though.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Not kosher.

Just looked it up all reptiles, go figure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Definitely edible. And someone mentioned hunting. When visiting the ruins at Tulum, Mexico, a few years back, they were so thick on the ground that you have herded them with nets or clubbed them without running.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

Nonsense.

They taste like monitor lizard.

I wrote a Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser fanfiction story recently where the boys are crossing a jungle. A major point in the story is how tired they are of eating iguanas.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nope. And hell nope.

H&K-Guy is not into the bush meats.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried Iguana in El Salvador.
Think dark meat, like chicken thigh.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

I would try it.[/QUOTE

Stuffed with lump python wrapped in the bacon of wild pig and served on a bed of kudzu leaves.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

I would try it.[/QUOTE

Stuffed with lump python wrapped in the bacon of wild pig and served on a bed of kudzu leaves.

Or soak it in a half gallon of rum.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I watched something a while back about people hunting iguanas with heavy duty pellet rifles and eating them. It was someplace in Central or South America.

I've eaten snake and alligator and turtle and liked them all. I'd try iguana.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
NOT MY RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
1 lb meat, Iguana (especially black spin-tailed)
1 lime
1 bunch cilantro
salt
pepper

DIRECTIONS
Since you can never tell what the weight is until you have it you will have to wing it. I entered the above just to get it published.
Declaw, skin and gut.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Grill or broil till cooked through. Time depends on the size. The 60 minutes below is just to be complete for the site.
Cover with lime juice and cilantro.
The meat will taste a little like, yes, chicken. However it has the texture of crab.
Makes a nice meat filling for tacos. Use all the other fillers you like in your tacos.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Not kosher.
Just looked it up all reptiles, go figure.
Leviticus, Chapter 11. "Of these may ye eat . . ."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post