SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy Birthday Willie Mays - 90 Years Old Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Birthday Willie Mays - 90 Years Old Today Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
and the oldest living member of baseball's Hall of Fame

Happy Birthday!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday “Say Hey Kid!!” Growing up in the 50’s he was one of my baseball heroes. I had his basket catches down pat. Lord, I miss those days because of men like Willie Mays!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Willie!
What a GREAT ball player.
Growing up Willie was the one we all wanted to be while we were playing ball.
Cool

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the greatest ever. Hit for power and average and had speed and great defense. Imagine if he had played at candlestick his career after it was enclosed. Not for a decade + before. He’d have 800 HR

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A true 5-tool player and one of, if not the greatest baseball player every. Met him once, MASSIVE hands, he had hands like a catcher's mitt, big and strong, just engulfed your own hand while shaking, can see how such a average sized (but muscular) guy, could produce such numbers.

Candlestick Park....uggg, Cleveland had the Mistake by the Lake, SF had that concrete eyesore. Only took 50-years before clubs recognize the multi-use stadium were no good for anyone.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Say hey!

What a player. There have been few like him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to Willie Mays! I remember watching the ABC Saturday morning animated special "Willie Mays and the Say Hey Kid" in 1972. Nice to know after all these years he's still with us.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a huge fans of his back in the day!

One of the first models that I made with my dad’s help was of his infamous on-the-run over-the-shoulder catch at the ‘warning track’.

“The Catch”

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
To me, he was the greatest ballplayer who ever lived. A true 5 tool player:

.302 lifetime average
3,283 hits
660 home runs
1,903 RBIs
24x all-star
2x MVP
12x Gold Glove winner

Missed 2 seasons due to Army service.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Weaseldriver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
To me, he was the greatest ballplayer who ever lived.

He may very well be. I remember when the 30/30 club became a big deal - 30 home runs / 30 stolen bases. They asked Willie about it and he said if he knew it was going to be a big thing he would have stolen 30 bases every year.

Posts: 468 | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Willie! I saw him hit a ball up into the 'oxygen required section' at Arlington Stadium during an Old Timers game. He had to been in his early 60s.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was my baseball hero when I was a youngster. Happy Birthday Willie!

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were a kid in the fifties or sixties and played baseball, you were probably a fan of Willie Mays, and would try to learn the basket catch. We all did.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He almost ran me over with his Caddie after a game a few years back. Wish I could have seen him play.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably the greatest all-around ballplayer ever. He could do it all and did.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Wow, 90. I didn't think he was that old

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post