SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have been suggesting them here for years! I finally bought one today. And she is now here!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have been suggesting them here for years! I finally bought one today. And she is now here! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have been suggesting the WaterRower over the Concept 2 for years here on the forum. I have never had to buy one because both of my gyms had them.
The YMCA switched to Concepts and my other gym used to have a few out in the main area but they seem to have migrated them all to the rowing class room and it is a pain to roll one out to the workout area. But the real reason is I just haven’t had time to go to the gym much anymore. Well the waistline and number on the scale is beginning to show. The only consistent time I have to workout is after the kids are asleep. So the home gym it is. I hate running especially on the treadmill so that is a no go. I don’t mind doing a boxing workout but the heavy bag is noisy in the basement and I don’t want to wake the boys. Nothing else at home really holds my interest or makes me push myself.
So I finally bought a High Rise WaterRower Club

So 30-45 minutes a night and working on my diet I hope to be down 25 pounds come June!

Now I just need to find a good show on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu to watch while rowing. I used to listen to music while I rowed but I found watching a show made the time go by faster and my rowing form was more consistent. I presume I kind of rowed to the music which cause inconsistency in my form and speed.

Should be here Wednesday.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I've got the same model. It'll kick your ass!
Smooth and quiet.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I think Kevin spacey used that model in house of cards....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Expensive ?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Expensive ?

They are studio quality so they come with a price tag but they are top quality rowers.
https://www.waterrower.com/us/...-rowing-machine.html

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I have the exact same model and as said earlier, they will kick your ass. Enjoy!

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The concept 2 are $950, they are in neighborhood cost wise. The C2 can upload your data to Strava or other fitness apps. If that’s important to you then that could be a deal killer. I have used the C2 at the gym and they are good. I tested a water rower for 45 minutes and I really enjoyed it but the ability to upload workouts is important to me as that really motivates me to work.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Concept 2 is no doubt an excellent MACHINE, with a huge emphasis on machine. It is a workout machine and while it certainly equates to the workout of rowing a boat it does not mimic the true feeling of rowing a boat.
The reason I prefer the WaterRower is the smoothness, sound, and it actually mimics being out on the water.
To me it is much more relaxing and soothing yet gives the same workout. I can go much longer on the WaterRower because I enjoy it more.
I map my rides on my road bike and that is helpful to keep pushing myself. I have not done it for my rows but do time comparisons.

The WaterRower has the ability to link to 3rd party apps as well. I have not looked into it much nor have I used the one with the C2 so I can’t really compare the two.
Guess I will look into it some more.
https://www.waterrower.com/us/...ories/commodule.html

————————————————

posted Hide Post
They just installed several of these at the fitness center I go to.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have a Concept II circa 1997 - still in use. 2020 will be time to get more serious use than ever before. I turn 57 in January, and am making plans to be in an eight for the Head of the Charles in October 2020, for the first time since 1984.

Time to get back into whatever shape possible at this age. I’d need to drop 35 pounds to get back to where I was at graduation from USNA. I’ll settle for 15-20.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years since you talked me into one and I'm still more than happy with it. Amazon VOD, netflix, and other streaming keep me sane while on it.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
She arrived today. Still waiting on my High Rise legs.

It will nestle upright there in the corner in front of it. Going to put an eyelet into a stud so I can wrap a bungee around it so it can’t fall incase the boys wander in and mess with it.

Valpo FZ has me reading a bit more into the rowing apps. The simple Bluetooth dongle is $60 and it transmits the readout from the monitor to 3rd party apps.

There is also a smart pulley now that is supposed to give more accurate metrics and links to apps as well but it is $250 and not sure I have the need for that serious business.

————————————————

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Nice. That exact model is on my list to purchase. I am running out of room in my gym for new equipment. I am waiting as I have heard that Peleton is developing a rower. I already have the bike and treadmill, both of which I like, so I am waiting to see. Concept 2 is the best in the business for rowers currently.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Concept 2 is the best in the business for rowers currently.

It is the most popular in the business for sure. While a great machine without a doubt dependent upon what you are going for the WaterRower is certainly better by a long shot.
Hence the reason I did not get a Concept.

————————————————

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Yes, sorry, I meant Concept is most popular. I think the water rower will feel more natural. Keep us posted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
SMOKED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I was out of shape but did not think I was this bad. Did not help we ate at the in-laws and I always eat too much there.
Tomorrow the Holidays are over and working on my food intake begins.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I also have the club with the risers. It really helped me a lot.

Don’t be too aggressive with the water level initially, but you said you’ve used them before.

Congrats and enjoy it.

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Ok, you made me do it. Had close to 20 hours of Overtime money due to protests in my area and bought a Waterrower Club. I went to the local store and tried it out, really liked it. I ended up buying directly from factory with free shipping.

Set up: was easy, nice video on Youtube walked me through everything. Did have a small leak in siphon (where bulb meets handle). Used the rubber band that secured the handle during shipping as a "tourniquet" and after that had no issues filling it up the water reservoir to level 17. Took it for a 15 minute session. Super nice, quiet, everything as advertised. The next day I put the high risers on it.....which took longer than putting it together. Had to re-drill holes and adjust it just right so all the bracket holes lined up right. Took it for another ride; high risers make getting on and off really smooth and had another 20 minute rowing session (drenched with sweat and muscles a bit sore and pumped). This is an excellent workout. I use it in the living room and store it in the extra bedroom. Today I did a mixed interval of 2.30 minutes rowing, with 2.30 "rest" which was jump off, and do 5 heavy kettlebell swings and then 5 slow negative pulls ups....wipe off sweat, drink water and back on rower for light rowing until the next work session............10 rounds.......I am beat. Big Grin

I am very impressed with it so far. The quality reminds me of my old Nordic Trac skier from 30+ years ago (rehabbing and losing weight after my first bad knee injury and surgery).

Thanks to Black92LX for making this thread!!!!!!

Now getting a cheap laptop and the laptop rest to do the on line rowing sessions and workouts.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Nice. What kind of data does the S4 Performance Monitor show?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Expensive ?

They are studio quality so they come with a price tag but they are top quality rowers.
https://www.waterrower.com/us/...-rowing-machine.html

I share your weakness. I too need to lose a few pounds and gain muscle back...

I see several water units on a google search that are a good $400 less. From the pics, they look the same was this unit. Any idea of how they are not?

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post