SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Huricane Michael: SigMonkey and Others in the Panhandle - Take Care
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huricane Michael: SigMonkey and Others in the Panhandle - Take Care Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Stay safe everyone! This looks like a really bad Cat 4. Hope everyone is taking it seriously and have supplies in a safe place or have evacuated as necessary if on the coast. Prayers for all.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my wife stayed up most of the night (she's a self trained weathergirl) and informed me it upgraded to a CAT4 and hadn't turned East yet around 4am.

I woke up and watch for awhile, enough to see the gradual turn east. Living North of Pensacola, I'm pretty certain the forecast will hold and we'll be fine.

Winds have picked up a bit but we aren't supposed to get above 40kts.

Plus Jim Cantore is in Panama City, pulling it towards him... At least the Santa Rose Sheriff had some fun with him...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well it may be working (Cantore Effect) heres the current predicted land fall

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
Stay safe everyone! This looks like a really bad Cat 4. Hope everyone is taking it seriously and have supplies in a safe place or have evacuated as necessary if on the coast. Prayers for all.

Looks a lot like Hurricane Opal, just a little farther east.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
This is Andrew 'lite'. Blew up quickly, not much notice and kept growing. Only positive is no more growth as it interacts with land. PC and are going to need some help over the next year because of this.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I thought there would be some slight weakening already but it's still cranking up. Just saw it is at 150mph. Approaching Cat 5 territory ?

Hwy 98 will probably look like pebbles.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
We (my family) spend time each year along 30A, between Destin and Panama City ....
It's gonna be a mess.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Look at the wind map

That is an awesome map - thank you.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I think for all the naysayers that always claim these storms are over-hyped, this is a good example of why erring on the side of caution if you're in the path of a serious storm is a good idea, before it becomes a monster like this one unexpectedly has.

Of course for a bit people will pay attention and maybe evacuate, but that won't last. Lather rinse repeat.

Pretty incredible.

eta - pineapple Willies taking in right now

link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Fox is showing over 5 ft of flooding in Apalachicola FL, showing tide running into the river. Wind gusts up to 175 recorded.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

10 am CDT Wed NOAA trajectory forecast

The brown area is the hurricane wind strength

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness - though Michael killed SF:

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Holy crap!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The eye wall is just now starting onshore. Looks like a direct hit on Tyndall AFB. I am about 60 miles inland in SE AL. The projected path of the eye has it about 50 miles east of me around 7PM.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Some fool is driving around live streaming the hurricane. He's claiming to "be in the eye." It's interesting to see the damage.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
While some folks don't care for twidder, theres a lot of videos from the storm on this link to the NWS

https://twitter.com/NWSTallahassee

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
My gosh....155 MPH winds.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

NOAA 1pm CDT track forecast (2pm ET)

moving NNE at 14 mph

Hoping everyone stays safe

brown area > 74 mph wind
light green > 58 mph
light blue > 39 mph

note distance scale lower left corner

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
155 mph winds is basically cat 5.

920 milibars WOW !

Stay safe my friends that are in the path of destruction.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post