SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Huricane Michael: SigMonkey and Others in the Panhandle - Take Care
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huricane Michael: SigMonkey and Others in the Panhandle - Take Care Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hope the oyster beds make it through the storm well. My favorites right there

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I figured the Cape San Blas lighthouse would be toast from this, but turns out they've moved it...

link

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
But but there's nothing in the Big Bend area! Couldn't hit a more deserted place in Florida.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
OK, dumb question time: When you have a storm that hooks like this one does is storm surge an issue on the east coast? I understand that the storm is circular. Is that what creates the storm surge or is it the direction the storm is traveling?

Thanks and here's hoping everyone down there's ok, Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I sure hope it turns east.

That looks beautiful. Do you have a beach there, or is it a sea wall?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But but there's nothing in the Big Bend area! Couldn't hit a more deserted place in Florida.

Lots of wildlife, great fishing and wonderful oyster beds. It depends on your perspective. Some say there is nothing in Miami.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, dumb question time: When you have a storm that hooks like this one does is storm surge an issue on the east coast? I understand that the storm is circular. Is that what creates the storm surge or is it the direction the storm is traveling?

Wind is what causes storm surge. The water piles up in advance of the storm and quickly rises when it meets the shoreline. The shallow shelf of the ocean off the FLA. panhandle and the concave shape of the shoreline push the surge higher inland. The northeast quadrant has the strongest winds, hence to the right of the eye will be the highest storm surge.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Lake Borgne and Pontchartrain are full with the south and SE winds all last week. Water is over my street as of yesterday and over topping the bulkhead- 2.5’ higher than normal. Predictions of another 2ft higher for coastal flooding here

Just saw on Baton Rouge news that they have closed the rivers in lower Livingston Parish because the water is coming up

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Look at the wind map

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
How do you guys think FWB will fare? My wife & kids are 100m north of the bay. Wish I could be there.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We are north of Whiting Field and about 100 miles west of where the eye is expected to make landfall. We are good unless it has too many martinis tonight and wobbles to the west. Filled the generator with diesel this morning and we are prepared for it if it does. Ivan and Dennis hit us really hard in 04 and 05 and we do not want to go through that again. I feel bad for the people who are going to get hammered-there is a lot of really low lying areas that are going under water.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's going to be too bad from FWB westward. Lots of wind maybe, downed trees, potential loss of power but if the right hook keeps up, it should be ok. I'm about 20 north of Pcola beach.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
How do you guys think FWB will fare? My wife & kids are 100m north of the bay. Wish I could be there.

FWB is on the far western edge of the cone right now but they are going to get a big storm surge.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok enlighten me with the acronym FWB. I assume there is not a location called Friends with Benefits Florida.

Picture of iam2340pro1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Ok enlighten me with the acronym FWB. I assume there is not a location called Friends with Benefits Florida.

Fort Walton Beach (Florida)

If we meet and you forget me you have lost nothing but if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him you have lost everything.

Posts: 758 | Location: Central Alabama | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Looks like Destin and FWB might get the dunes relocated again.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you.

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
RE: deepocean, some on the water side have man-made beaches behind the rip-rap. It washes out every trop storm.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iam2340pro1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Thank you.

You're very welcome sir.

If we meet and you forget me you have lost nothing but if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him you have lost everything.

Posts: 758 | Location: Central Alabama | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

FWB is on the far western edge of the cone right now but they are going to get a big storm surge.

My family didn’t evacuate, storm surge expected at 2-4’ which should keep even the south part of my lot dry. Texting the wife now and she seems worried (which is a normal state of affairs) but I think it’s safe for her to be there. We have a new house, well rated, no trees or things that might fall in near vicinity.... but I wish I were there! It’s uncomfortable watching someone you love go through difficulty without any ability to help.

Winds are 22mph at our house now, forecast 40 mph by 0600. They stay that way till 1400. Good luck to all! If my family were east of Destin I’d have told them to evacuate. Or if we were right on the water.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post