SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Huricane Michael: SigMonkey and Others in the Panhandle - Take Care
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huricane Michael: SigMonkey and Others in the Panhandle - Take Care Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
flooding in Danville VA

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...o-danville-virginia/

Parts of Danville, Virginia, are submerged in floodwaters after Tropical Storm Michael brought heavy rain and wind to the area Thursday afternoon.

pics and video at link

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City faired. I looked online. Nothing reported but I know Tyndall got wacked bad.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn (Mexico Beach).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My niece is on her way down there with their tow truck to retrieve the pickup truck and boat if they can. They figure the boat has been grounded, though. The truck and boat had not been spotted on any of the drone videos though.

You have to bring your own fuel as there is none within 50 miles.

The National Guard is there for search and recovery.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunthelp:
Tyndall: why would there be ANY plane there to be damaged?

If the plane is broken, it can't fly. I heard some F-22's got damaged due that fact.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the plane is broken, it can't fly. I heard some F-22's got damaged due that fact.

That makes sense. No way to truck them out on a flatbed I guess.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Still no Verizon service in Panama City. My Dad was able to call me from an AT&T phone that belongs to a buddy of his. Shameful that the network that touts itself as the most reliable has done little to restore service in the region. Even T-mobile is up and running at most sites.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Anyone know how the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City faired. I looked online. Nothing reported but I know Tyndall got wacked bad.

Talking with DIL today at grandson's peewee football game in Gulf Breeze. Said her mother and her husband, who live near the dive school, had little damage.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, fuel seems to be in short supply with guys making runs out to FWB / Pensacola to fuel up. Several of the stations here are out intermittently, I'm sure they are also trying to manage supply and such.

Several family members work in the industrial electrical business and spend a couple days there then come back to load up / build more stuff. They always load up on coolers with ice / etc for their customers as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
Still no Verizon service in Panama City. My Dad was able to call me from an AT&T phone that belongs to a buddy of his.
People give me grief for having an AT&T cellphone but it always works. From ground level up to about 11K MSL.

I hate AT&T but it's worth every penny.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still no Verizon service in Panama City. My Dad was able to call me from an AT&T phone that belongs to a buddy of his. Shameful that the network that touts itself as the most reliable has done little to restore service in the region. Even T-mobile is up and running at most sites.

They can't. After a hurricane like this, you can't get around the town due to trees in the way, down powerlines, and other aspects. It might take you half a day to drive 1 mile away (if at all) because you have to keep turning down various streets and going back the way you came because of a blockage, there's no power, and no fuel. You have to wait until equipment can get out to clear the trees in the road (a lot of good Samaritans do a lot of it), then have to wait till power company vehicles work their way from the outside in. It could take an easy 10 days after a storm like this, just so that all of the roads are navigable.

I live in Pompano Beach,FL with Irma last year we only got 70 mph winds. Most roads were closed for a good 4-5 days after the storm due to trees and powerlines. My house didn't have power for 14 days and I live in a large neighborhood with 8-10,000 sq foot lots in the heart of the city. It was 3-4 days before grocery stores were even open (and they have generators built in) and a good 7-8 days before they had any perishable foods at all.

Back when we got Wilma in 2005 which was a cat 3, it was a good 10 days before all of the roads were drivable. For at least 3-4 days, you couldn't even get out of your neighborhood and go 1/2 a mile. We didn't have power for 21 days. It was at least 2 weeks until gas stations and grocery stores were up and running.

It's a very very tough situation for people, even if your house didn't sustain any major damage. Even worse if it did.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Verizon was out for about 5 days where I am in ENC after Florence. AT&T worked fine.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
They can't. After a hurricane like this, you can't get around the town due to trees in the way, down powerlines, and other aspects. It might take you half a day to drive 1 mile away (if at all) because you have to keep turning down various streets and going back the way you came because of a blockage, there's no power, and no fuel. You have to wait until equipment can get out to clear the trees in the road (a lot of good Samaritans do a lot of it), then have to wait till power company vehicles work their way from the outside in. It could take an easy 10 days after a storm like this, just so that all of the roads are navigable.

I live in Pompano Beach,FL with Irma last year we only got 70 mph winds. Most roads were closed for a good 4-5 days after the storm due to trees and powerlines. My house didn't have power for 14 days and I live in a large neighborhood with 8-10,000 sq foot lots in the heart of the city. It was 3-4 days before grocery stores were even open (and they have generators built in) and a good 7-8 days before they had any perishable foods at all.

Back when we got Wilma in 2005 which was a cat 3, it was a good 10 days before all of the roads were drivable. For at least 3-4 days, you couldn't even get out of your neighborhood and go 1/2 a mile. We didn't have power for 21 days. It was at least 2 weeks until gas stations and grocery stores were up and running.

It's a very very tough situation for people, even if your house didn't sustain any major damage. Even worse if it did.

What I failed to mention was that AT&T have trucks all over town acting as temporary towers. Verizon, nowhere to be found. I understand how difficult it is to get around after a hurricane. My point was that AT&T and T-mobile had very little downtime in Bay County after Michael. Verizon has been down for 3 days and counting. Somehow, those other two carriers had their shit together, and Verizon did not and still doesn't.

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

What I failed to mention was that AT&T have trucks all over town acting as temporary towers. Verizon, nowhere to be found. I understand how difficult it is to get around after a hurricane. My point was that AT&T and T-mobile had very little downtime in Bay County after Michael. Verizon has been down for 3 days and counting. Somehow, those other two carriers had their shit together, and Verizon did not and still doesn't.

That's very unfortunate for the people that have Verizon.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
flooding in Danville VA

Parts of Danville, Virginia, are submerged in floodwaters after Tropical Storm Michael brought heavy rain and wind to the area Thursday afternoon.

pics and video at link

I live 16 miles east. Pretty bad, washed so many bridges, roadways, thousands in area , no electricity, I think 2 people died when their vehicles were swept by the flooding.

I don't forsee my electricity being restored until late next week. However, compared to Florida, we suffered less.

We have had excessive rains over the past 45 days.more photos from local source. https://www.godanriver.com/new...27e97e0020c9.html#24

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
I live in Callaway. We're a couple blocks and 2ish miles across the bay to Tyndall. Babby Ln if you care to mapquest it. Our house is still standing but a few pieces of plywood are missing from the roof. The area is ugly. Verizon was bringing in temp towers as we were leaving for curfew yesterday.

Ric

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
flooding in Danville VA

pics and video at link

Our daughter and son in law live near South Boston (fairly close to Danville) and they were hit hard, too. 100's of trees down, roadways closed, power and phone service out. They were told it would be at least a week to get power, but it only took something like 3 days.

We have a house 4 miles from where daughter lives, we had a couple trees blown down, but no major damage. I understand flooding was pretty severe all along the Dan River, taking out some bridges, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
I live in Callaway. We're a couple blocks and 2ish miles across the bay to Tyndall. Babby Ln if you care to mapquest it. Our house is still standing but a few pieces of plywood are missing from the roof. The area is ugly. Verizon was bringing in temp towers as we were leaving for curfew yesterday.

Ric
I hope y'all are hanging in there ok. There are still a dozen or so relatives I have not talked to. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
We're dealing. Is there anybody i can check on for you?

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
I live in Callaway.

Man you guys got it rough. Sorry.

Good video of some damage in Callaway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcUHOpfKxm0

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post