SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CA members...Register or go featureless ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CA members...Register or go featureless ? Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted
I keep going back and forth in my head about what to do with my AR.

I bought a Hera stock but I will still need to change my muzzle break that is pinned and welded to be legal....

I just can't decide which way to go. What are you guys going to do ?

For the non CA members, please don't use this thread to shit on Kommifornia. It's where we live and a choice we have to make.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I hate the featureless option. IMO, it just blows.

I will not register my ARs, hell no. Last Christmas, I moved them to a buddy's house in Oregon (also all of my standard cap mags and rebuild kits) for safe keeping until I buy a house the hell out of CA. He's my gun buddy and my family travel there several times a year to visit and shoot. When we move, I will visit again and transfer the items to a new home.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Registration = eventual confiscation.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Likely register. The lower went through the background check. They're not supposed to keep those records but it's the CA .gov so I'm sure the record still exists. Data storage is cheap and the scoundrels in charge have repeatedly shown a complete disregard for the law. The upper was bought on a credit card. If they want them they'll find a way whether registered or not. I've got a few months to decide.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I am looking at a AR-10 build in .308 cal this year. The featureless component I dislike most is with the stock, but I recently found this stock and think it might be acceptable.

www.ThordsenCustoms.com

Most of the "featureless" stock kits place an hunk of plastic between the rear of the grip and the bottom of the buffer spring tube. With this setup, there is no way to steady your shot.

The Thordsen FRS-15 stock allows for full control over the rifle and meets the regulations for featureless rifle.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the Patriot Magazine Release and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that as much as I dislike the old bullet button, the new one would blow much worse.

I chose to go featureless with the Thordsen Customs' FRS-15 stock. No registration, can transfer to my kids when they get older if I want to, can covert back once I escape, can enjoy my rifle at home (live on a ranch) in the meantime. Oh, and can replace the bullet button with a normal magazine release.

I had to go to an ambi safety as while I can flip it off normally, I don't have quite enough reach with my thumb to put it back on safe. Easy enough to put it on safe with the trigger finger with the ambi safety.

Yes, I'd prefer to have a normal, non-neutered AR and use the 20 and 30 round magazines I stocked up at a friend's house in Idaho, but until the Supreme Court strikes down CA's Assault Weapon silliness or I escape, this is about as close as I can get.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the lawsuit to stop the BS.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I'm waiting for the lawsuit to stop the BS.

They are already happening but they will take years and will in all probability have to be decided by the SCOTUS.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm registering.

My AR is just one of many guns I own. If they take it, they take it. I have an M1A as my featureless.

In the mean time, I can shoot it out of state with detachable mags with three turns of a screw driver.

Is the registration process up yet?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
While stationed in CA, I left every non-CA legal firearm out of state.

Registration will lead to confiscation.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I'm registering.

My AR is just one of many guns I own. If they take it, they take it. I have an M1A as my featureless.

In the mean time, I can shoot it out of state with detachable mags with three turns of a screw driver.

Is the registration process up yet?

No

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Not registering, will go featureless.

Can't wait to get out of this fucked up state.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm not getting a wannabe-AR while I'm still in CA.

It's like "Johnny, you can have a cake as long as it's made of broccolli, cauliflower, and kale."

That's not cake in my book. I might as well do without.

Passed on my P226 and its standard cap magazines to an LE relative. I don't mind giving it to him, I mind being forced to give it up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
The new laws (along with the fucking stupid plastic bag "ban") was my last straw. I moved from CA in March and could not be happier. It is NOT going to get any better, only worse. Get out while you can.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I Just read on Calguns that the state legislature just proposed to extend the AR registration deadline by 6 months.

Interesting.....They can't get their legal ease together.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What is this "featureless" you speak of??

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Let me try to explain.

you can't have any two of the following features on your AR in CA without registering it as a RAW.

#1 Pistolgrip
#2 Removable magazine
#3 Telescoping or folding stock
#4 Flash suppressor
#5 Fore grip that extends down
#6 Bayonet holder
#7 Grenade launcher...think Rambo
#8 Thumbhole stock

So a featureless rifle removes all these EVIL features and doesn't need to be registered as an Assault weapon. RAW.

That's the choice. Go featureless, register or become a felon if caught with an unregistered featured weapon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PR64,

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Doesn't have "evil features" such as a pistol grip, a collapsible stock, a flash hider, etc. Some folks make a "wrap" that covers the pistol grip and fills the space between the pistol grip and the stock. Thordsen makes a FRS (Fixed Rifle Stock) that plugs into the pistol grip spot and takes care of the pistol grip and the collapsible stock. Replace the A2 with a brake or thread protector and you are ready to go check the list to see whether you are done or not.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not registering, will leave them disassembled or go featureless. I feel that the law will be struck down, but it will be a while. For the time being I am mostly shooting my AR-22. Similar feel, and saves me money.

s

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All firearms purchased in California or brought into the state are already required to be registered with the California DOJ. I don't really see why also registering it as an assault rifle is any worse than the existing DROS. So instead of being on one list you'll be on two. Even if you go featureless all your info will still be on the DROS registration.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post