SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do TSA have some sort of master key for any locks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do TSA have some sort of master key for any locks? Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I use zip ties....

Bruce

That is what we have done.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Not to mention that anyone else can still get in your locked bag and rummage around. This might explain why there was no tag on your way home. They may have been looking for more valuable stuff.
So now you have to make a note of where you last positioned the zippers.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I use zip ties....

Bruce

That is what we have done.

Zip ties are easier to back out than locks. Doesn't take much.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Well, not all of us travels by plane that often. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to use TSA approved lock. Otherwise, I would have just tied the zippers with shoe laces.

quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
OK, seriously, what did you think TSA lock meant? This is decade and a half old news. It’s why you are supposed to NOT use them on gun cases.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The simple fact is if someone wants to look in your bag they can. Zip ties and TSA approved locks make it a little more difficult.

I will use zip ties sometime but that's it. The only time I use locks is with firearms and then it's real locks, not those tiny TSA ones. It sucks but it's how it is. Pack valuable stuff in your carry on.

I've given up caring if they open my bags. I think I find those TSA notices in my bags close to 50% of the time.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
I am just curious because on the way to Japan, one of our checked in luggage (locked with a small lock) had an inserted printed note that from TSA that stated our luggage had been randomly inspected. Lock was not broken. Nothing was taken. That is only 1 of 6 checked in luggages.

On the way back, I brought back some souvenir knives inside one of the checked in luggages. I wrapped them in clear plastic and used clear tape all around. Placed it near the zipper (locked) so that it will be easy to take them out in case I cant check them in. No problem with checking them in.

When we picked up our luggages at LAX, all lockes are intact. When we got home, the luggage, that had the knives was still sealed. However, the knives were moved to the bottom of the luggage. That could have not shifted that far just by the airplane movement. But no TSA note. At least it was not confiscated.

Second luggage had a TSA note, but nothing was taken.

So, how were they able to get into the luggages without cutting the locks? Just wondering.

TSA has access to TSA approved locks. That’s why they specify not to use TSA luggage locks on gun cases when traveling with firearms.

You were on an international flight - TSA is not the only ones looking at your Luggage. Japanese Customs and U.S. Customs and border protection both had the option of inspecting your luggage.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
So a question for those of you that have used heavy duty zip ties..

How do you open it when you get to your destination...assuming that your edc knife is not in your pocket?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I would say the opened and moved with no note was border or customs, since they have area in the fact you are bringing back foreign items. They probably scanned, saw , and inspected. They dont need to leave a note as far as I know, which is to say I doubt they will. Why announce you check bags?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
b.t.w. :
a note was included in the bag that they moved stuff around in , explaining what they did and how I should pack next time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
b.t.w. :
a note was included in the bag that they moved stuff around in , explaining what they did and how I should pack next time

How you should pack next time?

Can you elucidate?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this was 7 1/2 years ago,

the paper had a t.s.a. headliner
the top half of the paper had what they did and then the bottom half told me what mags and ammo should go where, and they did not want the gun and ammo in the same container , in the suit case
Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post