SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do TSA have some sort of master key for any locks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do TSA have some sort of master key for any locks? Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
I am just curious because on the way to Japan, one of our checked in luggage (locked with a small lock) had an inserted printed note that from TSA that stated our luggage had been randomly inspected. Lock was not broken. Nothing was taken. That is only 1 of 6 checked in luggages.

On the way back, I brought back some souvenir knives inside one of the checked in luggages. I wrapped them in clear plastic and used clear tape all around. Placed it near the zipper (locked) so that it will be easy to take them out in case I cant check them in. No problem with checking them in.

When we picked up our luggages at LAX, all lockes are intact. When we got home, the luggage, that had the knives was still sealed. However, the knives were moved to the bottom of the luggage. That could have not shifted that far just by the airplane movement. But no TSA note. At least it was not confiscated.

Second luggage had a TSA note, but nothing was taken.

So, how were they able to get into the luggages without cutting the locks? Just wondering.

Posts: 1885 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that the 'TSA Approved' locks all can be opened with a common key.

Other cheap/small locks often can be opened with a micro screw driver since it's just the end of the key that actually unlocks it (looks like a plain screw that the end of the key turns) and the simple key design either fits and allows it to turn or it doesn't - kind of the old school lock version. Keeps random people from messing with your stuff, but anyone that wants to get in can do so easily.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I'm pretty sure that the 'TSA Approved' locks all can be opened with a common key.

This ^^^^^

Some TSA Approved locks even have built-in telltales that tell the owner those keys have been used.

TSA, btw, is supposed to leave a note that they've opened and inspected your luggage.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
The short answer is yes, they have keys for all the 'tsa recognized' locks. Saves them from having to cut them if they need to get into your bag.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that anyone else can still get in your locked bag and rummage around. This might explain why there was no tag on your way home. They may have been looking for more valuable stuff.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
So that is what that “TSA approved” sign on the lock packaging is for.

Skull, that video you posted is very alarming. First time I have seen that video.

Posts: 1885 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Not to mention that anyone else can still get in your locked bag and rummage around.

Unless your bag has an anchor for the lock, as does mine. Then they'll still be able to get in, but they won't be able to re-close it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
An anchor? That is a good feature. I've also seen where folks will secure any valuables they have to check in a lockbox cable locked to the frame of the suitcase so at least they can't just reach in and take the stuff out. They're gonna have to work a little bit for it.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Probably should refer to it as a m'aster k-ey. Razz

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
This is also why you don't use TSA locks on gun cases.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
The short answer is yes, they have keys for all the 'tsa recognized' locks. Saves them from having to cut them if they need to get into your bag.

And in our experience, even if you do have a TSA approved lock, they still might cut it, leave it in your now unlocked bag, with the note. Roll Eyes

But they do have the ultimate master key, bolt cutters. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FIFY

quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
The short answer is yes, they have keys for all the 'tsa recognized' locks. Saves them from having to cut them if they need to get into your bag and steal your stuff.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say yes, several people here said impossible !

All I know is that I had three padlocks with three different keys in my checked luggage.

they opened two and relocated the mags , within the suit case , they opened the third and relocated the gun .

I think some people here thought that I was making stuff up

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
I don’t bother locking my bag - no point in having wrecked luggage AND something missing.
Zippers are pretty easy to split open, fabric easy to cut.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I use zip ties. It slows down a casual thief and the zippers don't accidentally come open.
Cheaper than TSA locks.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always assumed the number on TSA locks corresponded to the TSA key if more than one key is needed. Like the lock that says TSA 1 uses key 1.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, according to a buddy who deals with some stuff, but isn't above pulling my leg (but this has worked for me)

TSA locks are easily gimmicked with pens, etc - but sharps are very controlled in luggage areas. As such, heavy, colored zip ties, and pelican cases, are a rather secure form of luggage.

Posts: 5733 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Ah, the Totally Stupid Assholes...

They saved the world last week when they took away my bottle of hand sanitizer... Roll Eyes

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Guess that's how "baggage handlers" have been stealing all sorts of things for decades. Same method, different class of thieves.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, seriously, what did you think TSA lock meant? This is decade and a half old news. It’s why you are supposed to NOT use them on gun cases.

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post