SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Evanston, IL (Chicago suburb) Taxes Marijuana to Pay Slavery Reparations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evanston, IL (Chicago suburb) Taxes Marijuana to Pay Slavery Reparations Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Link

Evanston will use recreational marijuana sales tax proceeds to fund local reparations program

By GENEVIEVE BOOKWALTER
PIONEER PRESS
NOV 27, 2019

Evanston aldermen on Monday approved directing all sales tax revenue collected from recreational marijuana purchases to a fund that will establish a local reparations program.

Officials say the program will help the city’s black population stay in Evanston while also providing training for jobs and other benefits.

“We can implement funding to directly invest in black Evanston,” said Ald. Robin Rue Simmons, 5th Ward, who proposed the reparations bill.

While Evanston officials have voted to permit, tax and appropriate money from recreational marijuana sales, many other suburbs have voted not to allow recreational marijuana dispensaries to open when the businesses become legal next year under state law.

Evanston leaders say they see the dispensaries as an opportunity to pay for a local reparations program that would address the lingering institutional effects of slavery and discrimination. The proposal passed 8-1, with Ald. Tom Suffredin, 6th Ward, voting against it.

Simmons said the source of the money was especially appropriate, as many black residents were victims of the “war on drugs” and spent time in jail for smoking marijuana, a substance that in specific quantities will now be permitted in Illinois.

The tax on marijuana will “be invested in the community it unfairly policed and damaged,” Simmons said.

A committee of residents is currently examining ways to spend the money and how to best support the black community through housing, education and economic incentives. The fund will be capped at $10 million, according to city of Evanston staff reports. City estimates project the marijuana tax could generate $500,000 to $750,000 per year.

“This is a really special moment in the city of Evanston and also in the country,” said Ald. Peter Braithwaite, 2nd Ward.

Community members attending the meeting praised the effort and thanked the council for investing in residents who were harmed by discriminatory housing and other past policies.

“I support the approval of the ordinance for the city of Evanston to commit all of the anticipated tax revenue from the recreational marijuana businesses, to support work aimed at intentionally repairing harms done to the black community from policies and practices in so many different areas,” said Oliver Ruff, a retired teacher and Evanston resident.

Simmons’ proposal came as Evanston’s black population decreased from 22.5% of the population in 2000 to 16.9% in 2017, according to U.S. Census data.

The idea that the United States should make reparations to the descendants of slaves has been part of the national conversation since the slave trade ended, but there has been little formal action and much debate. Questions include what form reparations should take, and what institutions or individuals should make them.

Frustrated by the lack of action at the national level, Rue Simmons has said she believed a local reparations program could gain traction quickly and have a more immediate impact.

Aldermen Monday praised their local effort, which no one spoke against at the meeting, as a good start.

“We are on the right track,” said Ald. Ann Rainey, 8th Ward.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There is a touch of irony here.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nah, it's just free money raining from the sky so that politicians can get re-elected or elected to higher (geddit?) office.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Wow. More than a little irony. I hope everyone gets repaired real good. In fact they should double their intake to raise even more funds.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The price with these taxes will be so high that the buyers will turn back to the illicit market.

Then, no tax dollars, plus if you bust someone with a small quantity of marijuana, how with the evanston.il.gov prove it was not purchased legally?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31377 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Don't want to contribute to the program?
Buy it in a different city.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
So stupid that any tax dollars at all go to that.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
And remember, Evanston is a well-to-do, mostly white suburb. Evanston was not a hotbed of the slave trade before the Civil War either.

But don't worry - true to Illinois politics, they'll pay out about twice as much in reparations as they receive in tax revenue.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So they are discontinuing Affirmative Action since it served the same purpose? Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Evanston leaders say they see the dispensaries as an opportunity to pay for a local reparations program that would address the lingering institutional effects of slavery and discrimination. The proposal passed 8-1, with Ald. Tom Suffredin, 6th Ward, voting against it.

Simmons said the source of the money was especially appropriate, as many black residents were victims of the “war on drugs” and spent time in jail for smoking marijuana, a substance that in specific quantities will now be permitted in Illinois.

The tax on marijuana will “be invested in the community it unfairly policed and damaged,” Simmons said.

The tax won't take in anywhere near what they predict.
You see... government doesn't "spend" money. It "invests in the community".
So if they spend more than they take in... it really doesn't matter, because it's an "investment in the community".
Roll Eyes

Do these nitwits really think that people who smoke marijuana are going to quit buying it wherever they currently get it in order to pay more just to make it "legal"? Really?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Then, no tax dollars, plus if you bust someone with a small quantity of marijuana, how with the evanston.il.gov prove it was not purchased legally?
Tax stamps. They'll make it mandatory that all weed me contained in the original bag and must have a tax stamp. That way they can get you for tax evasion. It's the Chicago way. Big Grin

Texas used to have a program similar. ANYONE could go buy a sheet of MJ or Cocaine tax stamps. They were for sale to the public and folks collected them. However the idea was that if you got caught with large amounts (they were going after traffickers) without a tax stamp, they went after you on tax evasion charges and could seize ALL your possessions. It was civil forfeiture before that was a thing.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it. They have gone too far. I'm not buying my weed in Evanston anymore.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
'And/Or', a huge touch of stupid.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I didn't think anyone could be that dumb but the bitch proved me wrong.

They should have the recipients prove they were slaves first and those paying the tax prove they owned slaves. Otherwise they would be punishing the wrong people. Oh wait...

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It's Illinois, they're liberal IDIOTS.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

One of a couple thoughts that hit me as soon as I read the article.

I predict that the jobless rate, whatever it might be, as well as crime stats, and marijuana use will continue at whatever rates they currently are at...only some reparation advocacy activists will enrich themselves at the tax payer's expense...and the price of mj will increase accordingly, while local sales decrease.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Let's see, they collect 1 million in taxes, and after everyone gets their taste, I figure they will be able to net about 10k.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And remember, Evanston is a well-to-do, mostly white suburb. Evanston was not a hotbed of the slave trade before the Civil War either.

But don't worry - true to Illinois politics, they'll pay out about twice as much in reparations as they receive in tax revenue.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah pretty well to do but not quite Kenilworth or Glencoe. My uncle attended grad school at Northwestern. Hmmm there were some blacks on the football team back then in the 1950s but it has always been a pretty liberal enclave populated with Professors, students of well to do families and of course a medicore football program. There are quite a few miles between Evanston and Lawndale. I am surprised this made the news considering that Mayor Lighfoot fired Chicago's top cop today.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First the politicians make you feel guilty about something you never done then they tax you for it to relieve your guilt. Works every time.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post