SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorized photo of Maj. Dick Winters and others at the Eagles Nest
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorized photo of Maj. Dick Winters and others at the Eagles Nest Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I thought you all might enjoy this “new” picture of some of America’s finest.

Posts: 12433 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
They damn sure earned their time there.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That doesn't appear to be the Eagle's Nest and he's only a Captain there.

Cool pic though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
That doesn't appear to be the Eagle's Nest and he's only a Captain there.

Cool pic though.

^^^^^^^^^^
That is how I received it. I imagine, now I think about it, that it is Berchtesgadan. I just referenced his final rank as a courtesy. And as mentioned, they deserved the rest.

Posts: 12433 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When I look at this pic, I think, God bless them and all who sacrificed.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29604 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If that's a B&W image which has been colorized, someone did a superb job. I've looked at this image closely, and I think it might be a Kodachrome image. Colorized images usually have a false/unnatural appearance to their color scheme. The above image looks like Kodachrome to my eye.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like a still of Band of Brothers to me rather than a colorized WWII photo of the real deal.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure looks like a still of Band of Brothers to me rather than a colorized WWII photo of the real deal.

Nope. None of those guys were in the TV series. These gentlemen were in the original. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
She does amazing work Marina Amaral colorizing black and white photos.

https://marinamaral.com/about/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Incredible work. I just spent nearly an hour looking at her recreations. I could probably spend another hour more. Super cool.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Nice. Thanks!

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
After reviewing the link Para provided which is amazing the picture posted by the OP is titled Band of Brothers at Eagles Nest. There is another pic of more of the members of Easy Company at Eagles Nest that appears to be on the same patio but a different angle.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How mundane the rest of their life could have seemed after what they had just experienced.

Posts: 9454 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have no concept of the skill it takes to do that, but I really appreciate the people who do these things.

It really brings the picture to life and changes it for me. It makes it seem so much more real and not so far away. Black and whites almost seem so old that they aren’t relevant somehow. Adding color makes them feel so much more recent and relatable...at least for me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Photo Shop for pic restorations that have creases, scratches and/or tears.

But to do what she does, no way!! It's way out of my league.

Posts: 25 | Location: Glenolden, Pa. | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess I had never seen a picture of Dick Winters as a young man. I had no idea Damian Lewis was such perfect casting.

Posts: 13163 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'll be damned.

Masterful work.

She's a true artist. Like you, I never would have guess that was a colorized photo. It looks too natural, right down to hair color, etc.

Posts: 8599 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no concept of the skill it takes to do that, but I really appreciate the people who do these things.

It really brings the picture to life and changes it for me. It makes it seem so much more real and not so far away.

Amazing...

Here's another from the same set:

#53 Dick Winters And His Easy Company (Hbo's Band Of Brothers) Lounging At Eagle's Nest, Hitler's Former Residence In The Bavarian Alps, 1945

It's definitely worth scrolling through all of them.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23935 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And drinking Hitlers personal liquor stash. Hell yeah.

That’s a great pic.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post