SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorized photo of Maj. Dick Winters and others at the Eagles Nest
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorized photo of Maj. Dick Winters and others at the Eagles Nest Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
What an awesome glimpse into the past...

I can't imagine the hell they went through to get there, nor what lay ahead of them to finally get back home but I, for one, am grateful for those men and the millions of others.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Amazing work.

One thing that struck me was how many of the original photos were new to me. Some, such as the Marine with the cigarette and carbine barrel visible behind him (#118) are well known and have been reproduced countless times, but many others I’ve never seen, so that was worth a look in itself. I had seen the photo of Roza Shanina (#13) only once before, and that in an obscure book about women snipers in the Red Army.

The photo (#110) of the German officer being prepared for death by firing squad was another new one to me, and it was interesting that he was allowed to wear his full uniform, including the hat. Plus there was evidently another German present—perhaps another clergyman? Little things like that were controversial at the time, with many people believing that the German war criminals didn’t deserve any military honors. For example, Göring’s request to be shot (a “military” death) rather than hanged was refused, and he then committed suicide.

My comment about the colorization process is that many of the original colors in various scenes were obviously unknown, and in the redone photos some seem to have been chosen to make the backgrounds more interesting. Were the leaves at the time the photo of the Royal Ulster Rifles sniper in the snow (#99) was originally taken really that fresh and green?

Some of the colors in the older photos also seem brighter and purer than what I would have expected before the development of modern dyes and based on the few old garments and military uniforms I’ve seen in museums. That really stood out in #16 of the Highlanders that was taken before the development of synthetic dyes. That’s something else that would be interesting to know.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the previews of a movie that my wife and I went to see a few nights ago was one called "They Shall Not Grow Old;" a colorized WW I movie that was also striking in the way that it brought what seems to be from another era into what could be today.

The energizing of these pictures takes them from a state of being once or twice removed to the present, almost brings them back to life.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Amazing work.

One thing that struck me was how many of the original photos were new to me. Some, such as the Marine with the cigarette and carbine barrel visible behind him (#118) are well known and have been reproduced countless times, but many others I’ve never seen, so that was worth a look in itself. I had seen the photo of Roza Shanina (#13) only once before, and that in an obscure book about women snipers in the Red Army.

The photo (#110) of the German officer being prepared for death by firing squad was another new one to me, and it was interesting that he was allowed to wear his full uniform, including the hat. Plus there was evidently another German present—perhaps another clergyman? Little things like that were controversial at the time, with many people believing that the German war criminals didn’t deserve any military honors. For example, Göring’s request to be shot (a “military” death) rather than hanged was refused, and he then committed suicide.

My comment about the colorization process is that many of the original colors in various scenes were obviously unknown, and in the redone photos some seem to have been chosen to make the backgrounds more interesting. Were the leaves at the time the photo of the Royal Ulster Rifles sniper in the snow (#99) was originally taken really that fresh and green?

Some of the colors in the older photos also seem brighter and purer than what I would have expected before the development of modern dyes and based on the few old garments and military uniforms I’ve seen in museums. That really stood out in #16 of the Highlanders that was taken before the development of synthetic dyes. That’s something else that would be interesting to know.

Amazing pictures of some not so famous moments.
I made the mistake of looking at the comments expecting historical context. What a bunch of maroons.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:
What a bunch of maroons.

I have generally found that looking at Internet comments is a mistake and hazardous to one's sanity.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The photo (#110) of the German officer being prepared for death by firing squad was another new one to me, and it was interesting that he was allowed to wear his full uniform, including the hat.

Almost his full uniform. He's missing the eagle insignia and his medals on the front of his tunic, although he retains the Eastern Front Medal ribbon in his tunic's buttonhole, for some reason.

quote:
Plus there was evidently another German present—perhaps another clergyman?

Perhaps. The other German is an officer, as evidenced by the silver piping around the top of his field cap.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Absolutely stunning pictures.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Almost his full uniform.

Thanks for the comparison photo. I imagine the Iron Cross and possibly the ribbons ended up among some GI’s souvenirs early on. The eagle insignia patch may have been removed from his uniform because of the Nazi swastika symbol, but that’s possibly also true of the medals and the pin above his IC (General Staff? I forget, if I ever knew).

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The pin above his Iron Cross is the 1939 clasp to his 1914 Iron Cross 1st Class.

He earned the 1914 Iron Cross as a young officer during WW1. He then earned a second award of the "new" 1939 Iron Cross during WW2. Rather than Germans in that situation having to wear two Iron Crosses (a 1914 and a 1939), that eagle clasp was created to denote the additional award of the updated medal.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The pin above his Iron Cross is the 1939 clasp to his 1914 Iron Cross 1st Class.

Great! Thanks much for the explanation. I have seen the upper pin on so many senior officers' uniforms that somehow I got the impression that is was something to do with their positions.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I couldn't stop until I had looked at every picture. So much history in there...amazing.
Hard to know which is the most astonishing photo, but I'm going with the Royal Family one with Victoria, Nicholas II, Wilhelm II and all the cousins at a happy wedding not long before their countries slaughtered each other's subjects.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This has to be the most complete (and amazing) amazing collection I’ve seen. I actually learned a few things by reading about the context of the photos.

Thank you so much for posting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I found the pictures of Abraham Lincoln and Albert Einstein to be particularly interesting for some reason. It seemed to "humanize" them and bring them to life.

Fascinating!

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
As it's been said, amazing work.

After scrolling through, either this photo or another I'll be ordering in a print.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post