SIGforum
Colorized photo of Maj. Dick Winters and others at the Eagles Nest

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9510030254

January 11, 2019, 09:44 PM
BB61
Colorized photo of Maj. Dick Winters and others at the Eagles Nest
I thought you all might enjoy this “new” picture of some of America’s finest.

January 11, 2019, 09:50 PM
Poacher
They damn sure earned their time there.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
January 11, 2019, 10:17 PM
Gustofer
That doesn't appear to be the Eagle's Nest and he's only a Captain there.

Cool pic though.

January 11, 2019, 10:32 PM
BB61
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
That doesn't appear to be the Eagle's Nest and he's only a Captain there.

Cool pic though.

^^^^^^^^^^
That is how I received it. I imagine, now I think about it, that it is Berchtesgadan. I just referenced his final rank as a courtesy. And as mentioned, they deserved the rest.

January 11, 2019, 10:34 PM
darthfuster
When I look at this pic, I think, God bless them and all who sacrificed.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
January 11, 2019, 10:37 PM
parabellum
If that's a B&W image which has been colorized, someone did a superb job. I've looked at this image closely, and I think it might be a Kodachrome image. Colorized images usually have a false/unnatural appearance to their color scheme. The above image looks like Kodachrome to my eye.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
January 11, 2019, 10:43 PM
tatortodd
Sure looks like a still of Band of Brothers to me rather than a colorized WWII photo of the real deal.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
January 11, 2019, 10:46 PM
parabellum
I'll be damned.

Anybody can use Photoshop, but doing a good job remains a craft. Professional colorist from Brazil, Marina Amaral, doesn't just click-and-drag. Driven by her burning obsession with history, Marina does extensive research to make her colorizations as realistic as possible, too.

Amaral has played with Photoshop since she was about ten. In 2015, she was scrolling a history forum on the internet and discovered colorized photos of World War I. Instantly inspired, Amaral started restoring and putting color into photos that were originally black and white. This allows people to experience the past through a whole new perspective. "Each photo is made to be realistic by recognizing the value behind each one of them, respecting and preserving their stories, paying attention to the finer details and maintaining their original essence."

"Every completed work has gone through long and in depth research, and is supported by the opinions of experts in each particular area if necessary, to faithfully reproduce the original colors and atmosphere," she adds. "My work ranges from simple portraits to complex and detailed images, taken from various historical periods covering a wide range of topics." Continue scrolling to enjoy Marina's wonderful work.

Masterful work.
January 11, 2019, 10:47 PM
redleg2/9
quote:
Sure looks like a still of Band of Brothers to me rather than a colorized WWII photo of the real deal.

Nope. None of those guys were in the TV series. These gentlemen were in the original. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/
January 11, 2019, 10:48 PM
Ozarkwoods
She does amazing work Marina Amaral colorizing black and white photos.

https://marinamaral.com/about/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
January 11, 2019, 11:38 PM
Balzé Halzé
Incredible work. I just spent nearly an hour looking at her recreations. I could probably spend another hour more. Super cool.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
January 12, 2019, 12:27 AM
x0225095
Nice. Thanks!

0:01
January 12, 2019, 06:30 AM
lastmanstanding
After reviewing the link Para provided which is amazing the picture posted by the OP is titled Band of Brothers at Eagles Nest. There is another pic of more of the members of Easy Company at Eagles Nest that appears to be on the same patio but a different angle.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
January 12, 2019, 09:33 AM
220-9er
How mundane the rest of their life could have seemed after what they had just experienced.

January 12, 2019, 09:42 AM
esdunbar
I have no concept of the skill it takes to do that, but I really appreciate the people who do these things.

It really brings the picture to life and changes it for me. It makes it seem so much more real and not so far away. Black and whites almost seem so old that they aren’t relevant somehow. Adding color makes them feel so much more recent and relatable...at least for me.
January 12, 2019, 09:52 AM
armabill
I use Photo Shop for pic restorations that have creases, scratches and/or tears.

But to do what she does, no way!! It's way out of my league.
January 12, 2019, 09:59 AM
TMats
I guess I had never seen a picture of Dick Winters as a young man. I had no idea Damian Lewis was such perfect casting.

January 12, 2019, 10:05 AM
TigerDore
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'll be damned.

Masterful work.

She's a true artist. Like you, I never would have guess that was a colorized photo. It looks too natural, right down to hair color, etc.

January 12, 2019, 10:16 AM
chellim1
quote:
I have no concept of the skill it takes to do that, but I really appreciate the people who do these things.

It really brings the picture to life and changes it for me. It makes it seem so much more real and not so far away.

Amazing...

Here's another from the same set:

#53 Dick Winters And His Easy Company (Hbo's Band Of Brothers) Lounging At Eagle's Nest, Hitler's Former Residence In The Bavarian Alps, 1945

It's definitely worth scrolling through all of them.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
January 12, 2019, 10:26 AM
ElToro
And drinking Hitlers personal liquor stash. Hell yeah.

That’s a great pic.