SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your "set for life" income number?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your "set for life" income number? Login/Join 
posted
The question is prompted by an unrelated topic on another board in which the topic came up.

Just a fun question. No need for complex analysis of investment options, etc. To simplify, let's use annual income rather than a total number since age comes into play. Also, assume it would be indexed to inflation.

Basically, how much annual income would it take for you to consider yourself "set for life" and have no need or desire to work for additional spending money?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, lump sum of about $250,000 up front to settle things than about $60,000 a year after taxes and I could be a happy camper.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't have a specific number, you can't ever tell what the future holds, but a wise man that I worked for for years once told me "doesn't matter how much you make, always put a bit away every payday, ALWAYS pay yourself first!"

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
9.2 billion USD and the island of Sardinia

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 57, and I would like my retirement date to be 60. I work for a power utility and we have a pretty hood health ins plan. To keep it after retiring, and my property taxes, is close to $30,000 per year.
I would think to cover bills, food, vacationing,
another $50,000 after taxes.
So, close to $100,000.

Option two, sell house, downgrade ins (when I need it the most) find a safe place to live (maybe Taco Bell), $60,000-$70,000.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:but a wise man that I worked for for years once told me "doesn't matter how much you make, always put a bit away every payday, ALWAYS pay yourself first!"

Would you have thought that was good advice if your paycheck bounced because receipts were a little light and he "paid himself first"? It's an often repeated, but seldom practical bit of wisdom which has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

Again, I'm not asking how each of us would get the "set for life" money. I don't care if you saved it, inherited it, or sold your kidney, just a fun exercise of what if.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Figuring on very conservative investments, I'd want $4.7M in the bank to generate replacement income for me & Mrs.BurtonRW w/o having to spend down the principal.

Anyway, I've always subscribed to the probably fake Rockefeller answer to the alleged question, "How much is enough money?", to which he probably did not respond, "Just a little bit more."

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
$200k / yr.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
With the house paid off? $20K/yr

Without? $40K.

I'd need to be somewhat frugal, but I could easily get by with those numbers.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Health insurance is a pretty big 'X-Factor'.

Hard to say.

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
14,409,596 Rupees

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
For retirement purposes, at 65 years old, it would be no less than $2M cash (invested), and house paid for.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
14,409,596 Rupees
I assume you'd also need to own your own bullock free and clear to make that work?

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I pay myself a base salary of $60k a year. I try my dangedest to live off of that. At the end of the year we do corporate distributions.

This year the distribution should be $100k+. If we can maintain living off the 60k per year, and maintain corporate distribution to be 100k+ our nest egg should grow rapidly.

We have worked hard to make the company debt free. Now hopefully we can enjoy the fruits of our labor.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I know you said you don't want a lump sum number, but the wife and I are shooting for $2M in our investment accounts so we can retire. House will be paid for.

With a PV of $2M, and a 3% return we would be able to withdraw roughly $7k per month for 40 years. Having $1.5M drops the monthly withdrawal number down to a little over $5k per month.

There are obviously a lot of variables that go into the equations, but it gives us a rough idea.

That does not include SS. We both work full time in corporate America so we will get something from SS...but who know what SS will look like in ~16 years when we would like to stop working.

We save, save, save as much as we can. It really sucks sometimes, but I try to keep my eye on the prize. We would like to live (rent a place) on a island from ~Nov 1 - ~Mar 31 every year when we retire. Then back in CO from ~Apr 1- ~Oct 31. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Health insurance is a pretty big 'X-Factor'.

Hard to say.

----------------------------------------

Once you hit 65, you go on Medicare.

One of the luckier moves I made was to get supplemental F coverage. That covers everything. My premium is up to around $750 a quarter, plus of course the basic deduct from Social Security. I have Part B coverage, and since one of my meds runs about $8500 a month, the other meds I pay for are practically nothing.

When my wife turned 65, we got her in the same deal, around $530 per quarter, but now it pays her gym and Y fees, ~$120/mo. so it's practically free. My gym fees would be paid, too, if I were still healthy enough to go.

I hate to think the hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical attention, exams, tests, lab work, a couple of hospital stays, etc. I have had. I told the insurance guy if I had any influence, I would name my grandkids after him. So far, I don't.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No clue what health care will be so who knows.

If need be, I'll burn my fingerprints off, walk in the hospital and say No speak english. Fix me. Then walk out. Wink

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Probably somewhere north of 10 million a year sustained income for me to just say, "Eh, that should be enough."

Otherwise, I'm going to keep pushing towards making more money. Why stop? I don't wish to just be comfortable, or even rich. I'm gunning for F You Rich.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, it seems the more I make, the less money I have.

So realistically, I'll require unlimited funds.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post