SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was the Compass brand? Para?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was the Compass brand? Para? Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Based on Paras recommendation long ago I bought a TruNord pocket model and after awhile bought the zipper pull type model for a buddy. I grew up using compasses as a boy and in the Army I used two different compasses both as a rifleman and a mortar gunner. I still use a compass and map and will be teaching my daughters Girl Scout to use compass and map. I digress. I’ve had a bit of a bug with pocket compasses, collecting and carrying different ones and using them hiking, backpacking, orienting for radio antennas, etc. I’ve used the Suunto, the Peyser NATO, many Marbles old and new, MecArmy, etc. I’ve been most impressed with TruNord for a few reasons, one being they are well machined and the cards hash of degrees in many increments making it easier to follow a degree grading or damn closer to it than other pocket compasses I’ve used. It’s a gasket sealed solid unit without binding. I bought one of the new Cammenga WC 10 wrist compasses that I had high hopes for but had to send it in because the card would stick a little here and there and I couldn’t be confident it was actually North, and it was not half as many times. Sent it to the company and after a couple of months I received a new (but it didn’t look quite new). This Cammenga does the same thing! It has so much potential but something isn’t right in my mind.
Back to the TruNord, theives broke into my FJ Cruiser and after smashing half my damn windows stole my go bag. $11,000 all said and done. The bastards took my Sphinx, Strider, RMJ Tactical Hawk, SteinerS, and on and on to include my Peyser and TruNord. Once insurance took care of me I replace the TruNord with the titanium model. Weighs about as much as a plastic pants button. I noticed when I got it there was a little scratch or similar on the lens only slightly annoying. Decided to send it in and ask them to reset mine to magnetic north and let me adjust. When they made that adjustment on this Ti model they did what I asked AND looks like they replaced the lens with the scratch or whatever. I never even mentioned it, they just took care of me.

Para covered a lot in his review. There are only maybe 2-3 pocket compasses I’d trust and TruNord to work, take abuse, and get me home. Yes, the titanium model was ALOT but I’m happy with it.

I forgot to mention, there is no tritium in the TruNord but the glow they use is phenomenally bright.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've had a military issue one for many years. Somehow or another it came home with me when I ETS'd. Can't explain how that happened. Confused

Best compass available IMO.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
For precise dead reckoning navigation to find something like an orienteering marker or a car parked in the woods after a long hike (and assuming no GPS), it really is necessary to have a compass that permits accurate sighting to within a couple of degrees or less.

I like my Plastimo Iris 50 hand bearing compass for that. Single degree reading.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
For all things compass related, my go to vendor is:
www.thecompassstore.com

Good service.

Dangit, I didn't need to see that. I'm a sucker for good equipment. Now I'm having to fight off the urge to buy about $700 in interesting compasses. I haven't even touched a compass in probably a decade!

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
At the other end of the scale:

http://www.rosslondon.com/Comp...rM73M88.htm#M73BLACK

Unfortunately they advise that tritium markers are currently unavailable.

Yes, I actually know someone very well who bought the black M73 and is very pleased with it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've had a military issue one for many years. Somehow or another it came home with me when I ETS'd. Can't explain how that happened. Confused

Best compass available IMO.

The tritium in those saved our bacon many times in Panama JOTC. When someone fell behind in a column under triple canopy jungle pitch dark it was a silent way to reconnect.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post