SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was the Compass brand? Para?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was the Compass brand? Para? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I'm trying to remember, a search isn't finding it, but I seem to recall a post quite some time ago, I think it was Para, for a compass recommendation.

Thanks!

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Countycomm.com has several. https://countycomm.com/search?q=compass

I don't think it's where his were from though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Don't get a Tate's compass.

He who has a Tate's is lost.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Virtute et Armis
Picture of hft119
posted Hide Post
I think Trunford compass is what Para recommended.

NRA Benefactor
GOA

Posts: 128 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Tru-nord

Posts: 45371 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

Okay, I will acknowledge just how awful that was. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:

Okay, I will acknowledge just how awful that was. Big Grin

Amazingly wonderfully awful!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A rugged, extremely small compass is the “NATO” that can reportedly even be ingested to keep from being discovered by the bad guys and then recovered for later use.

Keep in mind that such small compasses are useful for approximate direction finding only. For precise dead reckoning navigation to find something like an orienteering marker or a car parked in the woods after a long hike (and assuming no GPS), it really is necessary to have a compass that permits accurate sighting to within a couple of degrees or less.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I like my Suunto MC-2 Global Pro Compass. Got mine from REI, but it's for sale everywhere.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My iPhone X has a built-in compass app that can be set to either true or magnetic north. I’d guess that all smart phones have the same. Since I always have it with me, I don’t see any need for an actual compass, although I have one.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
until you're 5 miles into the deepest jungle, lost, under cover of heavy jungle with little gps access and you run out of power......

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Tru-nord

I think that was it as well. Suunto has a small compass, with the benefit of a rotating bezel.
https://www.suunto.com/en-us/P...ipper-LB-NH-Compass/

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A rugged, extremely small compass is the “NATO” that can reportedly even be ingested to keep from being discovered by the bad guys and then recovered for later use.

I think Cracker Jacks had one like that too.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Silva, Recta or Suuno. If you want to navigate with a map, make sure declination between true north and map north is adjustable. We used Recta compasses in the military.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tru-Nord, but a couple of things- first, this is a very small compass, designed for kits or for pocket carry. This is not a precision compass. This compass is designed to get you out of a jam, not for precision navigation.

Secondly, they seem to have gotten too big for their britches. In the summer of 2011, I paid 24.95 for a Model 100C, Today, that same model is 54.95, thirty dollars more!

One of the nice things about the Tru-Nord compasses is that they are not fluid-filled. No fluid = no chance of a bubble. Most of the very small compasses I've had have all eventually formed a bubble. The indicator on these small compasses is usually a card, not a needle, and a compass that uses a card for an indicator and forms a bubble ceases to work reliably. If the bubble is big enough, the compass ceases to function at all.
The downside of not being fluid-filled is poor damping. With the Tru-Nord, it takes forever for the card to settle down, You can slow the swinging by tilting the compass slightly to bind it, then bring it back to level as the card settles down. Again, this is not a precision device, but it's likely the compass you'll have with you when you really need one. I have two Tru-Nord 100Cs in kits, but at 55 bucks, I think I'd be hard pressed to justify the purchase.

And I see they have a titanium model priced at a mere 150. Looks like they've gone uptown on me. Oh well. Made in the USA, gents.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I learned to orienteer on this Silva Ranger model many moons ago. For a long time, this was the "go to" compass for the military. I don't know if that is still the case, but it is tried and true:

https://www.amazon.com/Silva-S...silva+ranger+compass

A less expensive version:

https://www.amazon.com/Silva-N...ranger+compass&psc=1

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For baseplate compasses, I really like Suunto. Those Finns have style.

Also, I like the Cammenga Lensatic

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Suunto MC-2. I picked one up this summer and it does everything I need.

Remember to set your declination and practice with the compass before you need it.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:

It couldn't be any worse than the Henway Brand. Big Grin

Thanks for the replies, Para, as well as the others, much appreciated.

I'm making several walking sticks/hiking staffs, and am planning on carving an inlay to set in a compass on the top of the staff. I don't expect a fine degree of accuracy, just a generally close idea of direction.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For all things compass related, my go to vendor is:
www.thecompassstore.com

Good service.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post