SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cotton picken’ mind” is now an offensively racist phrase.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cotton picken’ mind” is now an offensively racist phrase. Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I think they’ve finally wore me down.

https://dailym.ai/2MVEcDq

A Fox News host apologized on air to viewers after a segment in which a pro-Trump white guest told a Democratic Party strategist who is black that he was 'out of his cotton-picking mind.'

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12327 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I guess words are more hurtful than sticks and stones now....

A pocketful of posies is no longer allowed as they may harm the kids with allergies.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I saw that episode and immediately thought "on no". It was not said with disrespect, but I had a funny feeling it would not end well.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The very existence of people like us is offensive to the lib progs.

You can’t eat, speak in public, fill your car at a filling station, walk your dog in a park, shop at a store without being accosted, threatened, humiliated, assaulted, inconvenienced, harrassed, etc.

Law and order is being neutralized, ignored, gelded.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
How stupid are these idiots. It's no different than him saying you're out of your fucking/darn/god damn/gosh mind. The saying has nothing to do with picking cotton or slavery. It's simply a substitution for curse words.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WE.....all know that. It's the idiot Libtards that don't know. JSMH...on a daily basis.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
And another one goes down the memory hole. Smh

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3965 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess Roy Clark's family was all black, except his father. Refer to the lyrics of "I Never Picked Cotton."

"I never picked cotton
But my mother did and my brother did
And my sister did and my daddy died young
Workin' in the coal mine.

When I was just a baby too little for a cotton sack
I played in the dirt while the others worked till they couldn't straighten their backs
And I made myself a promise when I was big enough to run
That I'd never stay a single day in that Oklahoma sun.

And I never picked cotton

Folks said I grew up early and in the farm that couldn't hold me then
So I stole ten bucks and a pickup truck and I never went back again
And it was fast cars and whiskey long haired girls and fun
I had everything that money could bring and I took it all with a gun.

But I never picked cotton

It was Saturday night in Memphis when a redneck grabbed my shirt
And when he said go back in your cotton sack I let 'I'm dyin' in the dirt
They'd take me in the mornin' to the gallows just outside
And in the time I've got there ain't a hullava lot that I can look back on with pride.

Workin' in the coal mine..."

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Let me remind you: Thunder broadcaster says cotton pickin mind

Update: He has basically been fired. His contract was not renewed. There’s huge amounts of money in pro basketball and the players are pampered.

And he’s out!!!

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I just don’t fucking care. I’ll use whatever words I want and if you think I’m racist you can fuck yourself. So tired of this snowflake shit.

I’m near the point where I’d accept the last straw to be drawn. Libs can bring it. They need to be taught what they’ve forgotten.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Telling a liberal that he/she actually has a mind? Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I guess that “bless your pea pickin heart” is another no no.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I spent my first thirteen years in as West Texas as it gets, I knew a cotton farming family from my grandparent's church. They were white and employed whites and migrant Mexicans.

Never saw a black person picking cotton.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I saw that episode and immediately thought "on no". It was not said with disrespect, but I had a funny feeling it would not end well.

I saw the same segment live when it happened too. Even though i use that phrase fairly often, I had a feeling immediately that it would somehow get him in deep crap. I guess it did. The term isn't at all racist, but then again, I guess everything is nowadays. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now a days everything is racist if it is said by anyone other than a black person.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've decided to start using this phrase even more often now. I'm going to say it at least once every day for as long as i can remember to. Screw these delicate idiots.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
Now a days everything is racist if it is said by anyone other than a black person.

It's just as racist then, but you're not allowed to comment on it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was simply a variant of the expression “You’ve been out in a sun too long”.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
I always thought it was simply a variant of the expression “You’ve been out in a sun too long”.

By their logic, arguably just as racist a statement in at least a handful of ways I can think of immediately.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post