SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wildlife murder mystery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildlife murder mystery Login/Join 
posted
Maybe the Forum can offer suggestion as to what may have done this.

I hadn't paid much attention to our birdhouses during the recent cold snap but I did see that some of the Eurasian Sparrows had been staying in them to stay warm. Yesterday I realized that something went at the birdhouses with a vengence. I think a "home invasion" / "murder" took place. So, here are the photos of the crime scenes.

And the evidence found

I noticed that the pieces of plastic are very small and I can't figure that a cat would have worked over the nests that way. We do have breeding pairs of Owls in the neighborhood as well as occasional Hawks. Since I have feeders out, I have seen the Raptors "hunting over bait" from time to time.

Also, I have 2 fairly large Boxers that are frequently out in the yard and have chased off the few cats that we have seen. But there aren't many of them in the neighborhood.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what may have done this?

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
racoon, possum,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not, but if you could put the birdhouse on a metal pole, the only predators would be other birds.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put it past a gray fox. They'll climb, they are most active at night and that looks like easy access for one.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
I wouldn't put it past a gray fox. They'll climb, they are most active at night and that looks like easy access for one.

Snakes can climb pretty well too. I've opened a few different birdhouses to find the birds gone, and a very happy, very full snake curled up in their place.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hawks most likely

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have a number pf bird boxes on our trees and some on poles.

One time I caught a mid sized black snake crawling up a pole, about half way into the bird box. It was not looking for a warm snug place.

I removed it from the pole, bird box and took it out into the woods, about 75 yards away. Baby birds survived.

And, I have hard evidence that squirrels will chew their way into bird boxes. I have heard it said that squirrels will actually eat baby birds, so that may be a reason they chewed up the boxes. Since it was warm weather I doubt the tree rats were looking for a warm dry place to sleep.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Had a racoon do something just about like that. Look for teeth marks.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Had a racoon do something just about like that. Look for teeth marks.

Raccoons will climb and reach in to get birds on the nest. I have an extra piece of 2x4 over the hole so it is harder to reach in and also the roof hangs out further.

What they do is climb up and then reach in which would be easy with your box. Looks like he chewed the hole larger.

Flying squirrels will also eat birds but would not have to chew the hole larger.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Raccoons, fox, opossum, not an owl or hawk.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched a raccoon tare up one off my bird houses before I could chase him away.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post