SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A young lady with car trouble
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A young lady with car trouble Login/Join 
posted
4 young ladies were driving down our road and were about 200 yards from the house.

Steam started coming out and the driver pulled over. She got out, popped the hood and started looking.

The Mrs. and I got on the 4 wheeler and started across bottom.

By the time we got there, she had the trunk open and broke out some duct tape and was "bandaging" the leaky radiator hose.

We asked if she needed help "Nope, I have this". She dipped water out of a puddle and made a filter with some rags and put it in the radiator.

She dropped the hood, called her Dad and let him know what was going on. They set a spot to meet.

"Dad said if you are going to drive them, you'd better know how to fix them"

This Bud's for you Sarah Lynn and Dad.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Nice!

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Impressive.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for her!

A short story. Many, many moons ago I was going to a friend's house.

I had to stop for fuel, I pull into the stop-n-rob go in and pay for gas. As I stood there pumping fuel I noticed five young guys standing there looking at a flat tire.

I stood there, watching, and it hit me. This young men/teen boys had no idea how to change the flat tire!

I finished pumping gas and pulled over out of the way and watched in amazement that these five guys had no clue what to do!

I watched for an hour, and though I would go over and help, then I thought it might be a better lesson for them if they were stuck longer, that maybe they would now take the insentive to learn how to change a flat tire, maybe check the oil.

Anyways I left them there in the parking lot of the gas station. I'm still to this day amazed. These five guys ranged in age from 15ish to 17/18 years old. At the time I was in my late 20's maybe 30 years old.

By time I could legally drive at 16 years old, I had already rebuilt an engine, transmission on two cars. So I didn't feel bad that five guys were to stupid to change a flat tire.

I say again good for her! I wish more dad's were like hers!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a insurance commercial that shows a kid unable to change a tire.

Irritating.

Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
Good for her!

A short story. Many, many moons ago I was going to a friend's house.

I had to stop for fuel, I pull into the stop-n-rob go in and pay for gas. As I stood there pumping fuel I noticed five young guys standing there looking at a flat tire.

I stood there, watching, and it hit me. This young men/teen boys had no idea how to change the flat tire!

I finished pumping gas and pulled over out of the way and watched in amazement that these five guys had no clue what to do!

I watched for an hour, and though I would go over and help, then I thought it might be a better lesson for them if they were stuck longer, that maybe they would now take the insentive to learn how to change a flat tire, maybe check the oil.

Anyways I left them there in the parking lot of the gas station. I'm still to this day amazed. These five guys ranged in age from 15ish to 17/18 years old. At the time I was in my late 20's maybe 30 years old.

By time I could legally drive at 16 years old, I had already rebuilt an engine, transmission on two cars. So I didn't feel bad that five guys were to stupid to change a flat tire.

I say again good for her! I wish more dad's were like hers!

ARman

I think I was around seven the first time I changed a tire for my mother.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
If she was also carrying a gun, I would have proposed on the spot.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I honestly have to say she's got me beat. I'd be on the phone for a tow truck.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

Don't think she was old enough, there was a martial arts sticker on the back window so I'm thinking she could handle herself.

Her 3 friends, not so much.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
My kinda kid!
My daughter changes her own oil.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

Kind of off topic. But another story. Not long ago I was coming home from work and came upon a deer that was struck by a car. A big beautiful buck, but though he was alive flopping around, was a goner.

So I stopped my car. Since I was in a bad curve I turned on my hazard lights and slowly back around the curve to give other drivers warning.

I get out of my car and two different younger ladies, coming from different directions both pull up and stop, as I stood there with my SIG P220 by my side they both asked if I needed a gun to "put 'em down". I said no I have one.

Funny thing is, both wanted to watch me shoot him, I guess to make sure that I did it right.

Another story, not to long ago. My car broke down, ball joint broke. As I sat there waiting for the tow truck. The only people that stopped to offer help was younger 20somethings early 30somethings girls (young ladies).

Since there was nothing to be done I told them thanks, but nothing we can do. I had acouple stay with me until the tow truck arrived....I should have gotten their numbers....

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a flat tire in 10+ years. Never got the jack out for my previous, or current car. Long ago I changed flat tires, but not sure I could do it now.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8947 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can still change a tire. But have not in years. Factory jacks are crappy and inadequate.
I have roadside service now and use it.
But agree that most younger types are clueless about cars because their parents couldn't be bothered to teach them. Or the kid had no interest in learning.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:...

Her 3 friends, not so much.

Chaff and Flares.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
We have a word for her.
Keeper.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
We have a word for her.
Keeper.

Yea but the age difference and the Mrs. are stumbling blocks.

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I can still change a tire. But have not in years. Factory jacks are crappy and inadequate.
I have roadside service now and use it.

This is my way too.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
One night I laid my motorcycle down when I grabbed too much front brake on a patch of gravel. I'm gathering my wits and my 550lb bike is in the ditch. A VW bug with two drunk girls stop to help. The good lord gave me just what I needed at the moment, they likely could have rasseled a gator. I don't think NFL lineman could have gotten my bike upright any better. Still grateful to them two corn fed husky women.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have certainly changed my share of tires.

At this point in my life, with physical limitations due to age and health, I might call for roadside service. I'm paying for it as part of my vehicle insurance. Why not use it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have certainly changed my share of tires.

At this point in my life, with physical limitations due to age and health, I might call for roadside service. I'm paying for it as part of my vehicle insurance. Why not use it?

I completely agree. I pulled a tire on my F250 and struggled with it.