SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    quick and easy , simple and tasty nachos, is there such a thing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

quick and easy , simple and tasty nachos, is there such a thing Login/Join 
posted
I am hungry for nachos , but mine take to long , use too many dishes, and then more clean up .

anyone know a good home cooked method ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much stuff and how fast you want them.

I like to take tortilla chips and spread bean dip or refried beans on each chip. Spread on the plate to cover the entire surface of the plate. Next, take picante sauce or salsa and spread on each chip. finally, shred medium cheddar over the top and nuke.

You can add ground beef or chicken left overs if available and broil in a toaster oven if so choose.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Grab a 10" cast iron pan, add a few layers of chips, jalapeños, cheese, and maybe some hot dog style chili, place in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes and enjoy. Twenty minutes total.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Having ½ pound portions of chili in the freezer brings all sorts of snacks together. Chili cheese tacos (4) in seven minutes, including clean-up. Nachos? About the same if you have the chili defrosted and a small can of jalapeños.

Getting the T&T just right, that takes practice. Foil over pan, dump on the chips, under the broiler but not too close, back out, add preheated chili, fresh grated sharp cheddar, jalapeños, back into the oven. Time and temperature. Aluminum foil is your friend in aiding fast cleanup.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I find it's easiest to make a dip (however simple or complex, just cheese, or some seven layer action with sour cream, beans, etc, too) and go about dipping..., rather than go to the trouble of actually making nachos with stuff all over them, plus it makes leftovers easier and reheat better, too. Soggy leftover chips suck.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
What be this "leftover" thing of which you speak? Wink

Never had that problem!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Cheese Whiz... 30 seconds.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
You can get pre-cooked/flavored meat so you just have to add the meat, cheese, veggies, oven for 20 min, and viola - nachos! Total prep time is like 5 min

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original Natchos were invented as a snack for a late night poker game by a resturant owner in Tijuana Mexico named Ingacia and nicknamed Natcho.

It is a very simple recipe that has THREE ingredients, Tortilla Chips, shredded "Mexican" cheese blend, and Jalapeno pepper slices. Any other ingredient is a corruption of a wonderful and spicy snack.

Tips. Slice each pepper across the middle and then taste a thin slice of this pepper to assess the heat. If it's really hot slice the pepper thin enough you can read a newspaper through it. If it's really mild use thick slices and mix in some slices from a really hot pepper to even out the heat. Because Jalapeno peppers have a lot of variation in heat from pepper to pepper. Note, if you are a real Chili Head then substitute Serrano Peppers because they are always HOT.

Spread the chips in a not stick cookie tray, layer on cheese, then pepper slices, then another layer of cheese. Slide everything into a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees and bake for 7 to 10 minutes. Then use a non stick spatula to break up the mass to snack size pieces and heap on a serving platter.

This is the correct recipe for Natchos and the addition of any additional ingredient is a Sin against Nature and punishable by being served nothing but Ghost Peppers as your only food for all Eternity.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Got a 7-11 near you. Thirty seconds to make.

Lots of fake cheese sauce, equal amount of rat meat chili. Load up on onions, pico and jalapenos. Grab four pack of toilet paper (trust me on this it will come in handy 90 minutes after consumption).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
OMG 7-11 nachos...now that brings back memories. A favorite snack on the way home from a night out down in San Bern. I think the Australian Beach Club was the last time I danced in a cage...

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I believe nacos originated in Piedras Negras across from Eagle Pass Texas. But then its kind of like Frito Pie with two different areas claiming they invented it.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
local Mexican joint had good chicken nachos,

the to go version was a small pie type tin,
layer of nacho's (the home made ones they did)
grilled onions,
shredded chicken breast
and a pile of cheese

bake till done, maybe 10 minutes, and damn tasty

at home we put a layer of blue corn chips on a plate, cover with cheese and nuke,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Preheat oven and baking sheet to 425F.

Meanwhile:
  • Spread chips on aluminum foil
  • Spread your favorite leftover meat (beef, chicken) over chips
  • Spread your favorite peppers (jalapenos, Hatch Chilis, etc) and onions (e.g. green onion or diced white onion) over meat
  • Spread favorite grated cheeses (I like HEB's cheddar, monterey jack, asadero, queso quesadilla). It's actually better to grate cheese yourself so it doesn't contain any anti-caking agents that screw up melting.
  • Place foil on top of preheat baking sheet
  • Place baking sheet in oven for approx 5 mins (looking for cheese on edge of chips to slightly brown).
  • Remove from oven
  • Garnish with your favorite cold toppings (e.g. guacamole, sour cream, salsa)
  • Protect and photograph
  • Enjoy

Best of all, no dishes to do as you just throw away the foil.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    For really quick nachos I usually just spread tortilla chips on a paper plate, place slices of Velveta Cheese on each chip, add whatever other toppings, and nuke it in the microwave until the cheese is melted. Done.

I too prefer to just make a Chile con queso dip and dip the tortillas chips in it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Preheat oven and baking sheet to 425F.

Meanwhile:
  • Spread chips on aluminum foil
  • Spread your favorite leftover meat (beef, chicken) over chips
  • Spread your favorite peppers (jalapenos, Hatch Chilis, etc) and onions (e.g. green onion or diced white onion) over meat
  • Spread favorite grated cheeses (I like HEB's cheddar, monterey jack, asadero, queso quesadilla). It's actually better to grate cheese yourself so it doesn't contain any anti-caking agents that screw up melting.
  • Place foil on top of preheat baking sheet
  • Place baking sheet in oven for approx 5 mins (looking for cheese on edge of chips to slightly brown).
  • Remove from oven
  • Garnish with your favorite cold toppings (e.g. guacamole, sour cream, salsa)
  • Protect and photograph
  • Enjoy

Best of all, no dishes to do as you just throw away the foil.

• One of my go to things to use for leftover meat without any leftover sides. Exactly how you stated. Sometimes I toss some kidney beans on top too.

Pro tips:

Put guac in ziplock bag, cut corner off and use like a pastry bag, do same with sour cream, or use the greatest invention since sliced bread.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of maladat
    posted Hide Post
    I don't have any right now so I can't check the brand, but the good grocery stores around here have little plastic tubs of beans that are really good (sort of mushed like refried beans, but I don't think they're actually refried).

Foil lined baking sheet, lay out chips, spoon of beans on each chip, sprinkle with shredded cheese. Maybe thin sliced onion under the cheese.

Put it in the oven under the broiler until the chips start turning brown at the edges and the cheese is bubbling and maybe crisping.

Personally I like to put the jalapenos on afterwards - I'll get a bowl of hot pickled jalapeno slices and usually end up eating 3-4 slices per chip.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No good deed
    goes unpunished
    Picture of cheesegrits
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scooter123:
    It is a very simple recipe that has THREE ingredients, Tortilla Chips, shredded "Mexican" cheese blend, and Jalapeno pepper slices.

Spread the chips in a not stick cookie tray, layer on cheese, then pepper slices, then another layer of cheese. Slide everything into a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees and bake for 7 to 10 minutes.

Although I don't mind the addition of other ingredients (especially some diced red onion), this is what I do as well. And I add Oaxaca cheese when I have it. Simple and tasty. No soggy chips, either.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigmoid
    posted Hide Post
    When you are old you have to use black beans for "fiber"

________,_____________________________
    *** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
    Your way
    or
    YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    Taco Bell Nachos Bell Grande with a Pepto-bismol chaser.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post