SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feeling Jealous Of Others "Stuff"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeling Jealous Of Others "Stuff" Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'm pretty lucky with my FB friends.

Most of them are like minded, am getting close to the 400 mark, old school friends (very few), most over the years that I have worked with and made friends with over the years as a result of car and motorcycle dealerships, some motorcycle, some hot rodders, almost all of them with a long friendship history. And one or two from the Forum too.....!

During the elections I actually lost one friend over my support of Trump. I really did not like him but he was better than Hillary, in fact during the discussion that lead to the end I stated that I did not like either candidate but I was not voting for Hillary under any circumstances. And when I got into a discussion regarding the ACA I was told that the figure I was stating as my weekly "due" when I was employed had to be in error as her health care as a educator never cost that much and there was no way that my insurance could have doubled since 2008.

I said something to the fact that my paystub did not lie and neither did all the doctor, hospital, MRI's, Physical Therapy bills did either.....of course I was accused of making it all up.........she promptly blocked and dropped me........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Sometimes it is not having something or buying something that gives you pleasure/satisfaction > It is knowing that you could if you want to.

It's a funny old thing, but, I've had this "list" in my head, for years and years, of "Gee, it'd be cool to have <this>" things.

Retirement rolled around. Finances were planned. Then my retirement was delayed. (Voluntarily.) Long story short: Ended up with six pay weeks' worth of "found money." I jokingly suggested to my wife it was "found money," so I should get to spend it on toys. Wife agreed I'd worked hard for it, so I could spend it how I saw fit. I bought a single-action revolver, a rig for it, a lever-action carbine and some ammo.

Then, thinking about all the other "stuff" I'd thought I wanted, I found there were no other toys upon which I wanted to spend my money. Not really.

Surprised the hell out of me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I have ever been jealous of others stuff.
Others abilities, others work ethic, others perspective, maybe.

I am 60 y.o. now and I am finding it ever so easy to find fault in almost everything,
you name it , I can scowl and tell you the negative , or three about pretty much anything or any one.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No jealousy here as I guess I'm heading in the opposite direction as I start my seventies. I'm managed to acquire more "toys" than I use and am trying to figure out the best way to downsize. It isn't easy as the various ways to sell are / have been nothing but royal PITAs! Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16205 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a selfish way, I am glad social media are driving people to acquire expensive toys, vacations and homes.. it's all good for the economy. Our economy is so entwined and interconnected that if one sector does bad, it'd drag other sectors down with it, and eventually affect jobs and so on.

It is good for the economy, good for my job.

It's just not the way I'd spend my money. But I am glad others are doing it and living it up.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
In a selfish way, I am glad social media are driving people to acquire expensive toys, vacations and homes.. it's all good for the economy. Our economy is so entwined and interconnected that if one sector does bad, it'd drag other sectors down with it, and eventually affect jobs and so on.

It is good for the economy, good for my job.

It's just not the way I'd spend my money. But I am glad others are doing it and living it up.

I am also glad about social media. I own stock in Facebook, which has been very financially rewarding, so I anticipate that I can use the profit to buy more stuff!

Now, mind you, I have never actually used Facebook........

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't be jealous of stuff. If you have your health and the love of a good woman, you are rich beyond compare.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post