SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hornet nest on power transformer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet nest on power transformer Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
UPDATE - UTILITY COMPANY TOOK CARE OF IT
I’m not sure how to deal with this. I have a power pole in my yard with the bucket type transformer. On the bottom of that transformer is a hornet nest the size of a basketball. It’s 30-40 feet up. I was noticing a lot more buzzing around lately.

How do I deal with this? Would the utility company even help?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Is it causing any problems? Stings and the like? If nothing electrical is being affected, I wouldn’t sweat it. The nest will die out when winter arrives.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15549 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call the utility. They’d rather send a bucket out with some bee-bop than have a fault on the transformer

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Call the power company. The pole may be in your yard, but it's their pole and transformer. They won't want any bugs in it. (sorry)

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our neighbor had a hive like you described.She called the power co., a couple days later, the bucket truck arrived, shot bug juice on it and presto, gone.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kill it with fire. Just try to not burn the pole down.

Posts: 2476 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You need this.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Call the company with your concerns. If it's a problem and if they do not have access in the rear-of with a bucket truck. They do have long fiberglass sticks that can attach a can of wasp killer/repellent that the spray is activated with a long string. We've used these in Substations where wasp nest grow rather large in the metal towers.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yep, call DTE or Consumers, whichever one is your power company.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Call the company with your concerns. If it's a problem and if they do not have access in the rear-of with a bucket truck. They do have long fiberglass sticks that can attach a can of wasp killer/repellent that the spray is activated with a long string. We've used these in Substations where wasp nest grow rather large in the metal towers.
You're a substation guy ?

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa1ez7yL_T4

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You need this.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/07rtBip9ixk?start=65" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I am a fairly boring, pay my taxes, follow the law, and generally abide by the social contract kinda guy. All that being said THERE IS NO WAY I COULD OWN THIS. MY INNER 9 YEAR OLD WOULD GET US INTO SO MUCH TROUBLE. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the power company is going to take care of it. Hopefully sooner rather than later. The hornets certainly picked a heckuva location.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You need this.

I am a fairly boring, pay my taxes, follow the law, and generally abide by the social contract kinda guy. All that being said THERE IS NO WAY I COULD OWN THIS. MY INNER 9 YEAR OLD WOULD GET US INTO SO MUCH TROUBLE. Smile
Oh, you and me both.

"Need me to light that BBQ?"

"How about that burn pile?"

"Oh, that hornets nest must die!!!"

"4th of July / New Years Eve is gonna be EPIC!!!!"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the smoother moves I pulled as a kid was using a Wrist Rocket slingshot to shoot a hornets nest. Numerous neighbor kids were standing too close and the nest fell into the group. Lots of stings resulted.
I enjoyed it tremendously. Damn. I miss my childhood!
Call the utility. The hornets pose a threat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
One of the smoother moves I pulled as a kid was using a Wrist Rocket slingshot to shoot a hornets nest. Numerous neighbor kids were standing too close and the nest fell into the group. Lots of stings resulted.
I enjoyed it tremendously. Damn. I miss my childhood!
Call the utility. The hornets pose a threat.

I was thinking someone should invent paintball gun ammo with wasp/hornet killer inside but I suspect that would be used inappropriately

posted Hide Post
The only real issue with that nest was if a power company guy stumbled into it on a dark night . It isn't an electrical hazard . You live in Michigan ? They should wait until winter and remove it safely .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I know a guy at LMMFC, just saying...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAxKk64Hxm4

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
You're a substation guy ?

Was. Worked with Florida Power and Light Company for 25yrs in Substations. We trained in our Power Delivery dept to run feeder sections for hurricane restoration so we cross trained and understood overhead work to a degree so we could restore feeder sections.

My job was with Substations, repair, troubleshoot, and/or replacing all equipment in Substations and Turkey Point Nuclear plant here in South Florida. Miss it tremendously, had to go out on disability. An amazing job.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post