SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hornet nest on power transformer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet nest on power transformer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm a retired Substation Maintenance Foreman . Entergy Corp . Fascinating line of work . Take care , brother .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'm a retired Substation Maintenance Foreman . Entergy Corp . Fascinating line of work . Take care , brother .

Understood and back at you. FPL had the Maintenance Forman classification for many years until we basically ran two man crews out of Ford Econoline vans. The classification morphed into Lead Electrician classifications which I held at the time I left. It was a fascinating job. All my peers have sadly passed or retired. We had some great time together many days of working around the clock and having the freedom to travel every day all over Miami and south to Turkey Point. We were in charge of 36 Substations in our area, and were all over the place. Never static, always on the go, day and/or night..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only real issue with that nest was if a power company guy stumbled into it on a dark night . It isn't an electrical hazard . You live in Michigan ? They should wait until winter and remove it safely .

It's all fun and games until I weedeat the fence line. I prefer they be sent to hell now.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I know a guy at LMMFC, just saying...

Reminds me of earlier years and potato cannons. They're probably illegal or something now.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:

Understood and back at you. FPL had the Maintenance Forman classification for many years until we basically ran two man crews out of Ford Econoline vans. The classification morphed into Lead Electrician classifications which I held at the time I left. It was a fascinating job. All my peers have sadly passed or retired. We had some great time together many days of working around the clock and having the freedom to travel every day all over Miami and south to Turkey Point. We were in charge of 36 Substations in our area, and were all over the place. Never static, always on the go, day and/or night..
We had 3 Foremen , 12 mechanics , and were responsible for 150 substations ranging from 4kv to 500 kv , including one nuclear plant switchyard and two gas fired plants . I was burned out after 40 yrs in the industry .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the smoother moves I pulled as a kid was using a Wrist Rocket slingshot to shoot a hornets nest.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
If the power company gets to it quick enough - fine.

OTOH, a super soaker squirt gun loaded with a strong mix of Malathion should suffice.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RHINOWSO and HRK have the correct train of thought here for this issue.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the flame-throwing drone solution, m'self Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work for an electric utility, and I can tell you we would much prefer that you call us than try to deal with it yourself.

We used an exterminator to remove one last year.

War Eagle!

Posts: 129 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:

We had 3 Foremen , 12 mechanics , and were responsible for 150 substations ranging from 4kv to 500 kv , including one nuclear plant switchyard and two gas fired plants . I was burned out after 40 yrs in the industry .

Yea, my Service Center was the most southern Substation outpost in the south of FPL's territory. I moved and transferred to this center because of the people and having only 30 Substation employees. Had a lot of friends in Substations all over Florida and had tentative plans to transfer North when nearing retirement but had to be put out to pasture early due to health stuff. At my previous Service Center we had a couple of coal fired plants and the 500kv Stations but where I ended up was a scaled down Service Center with a few coal fired and Turkey Point Nuclear. They were shutting down most all of the coal fired plants when I was still employed and we had a lot of sub contractors on the property doing new construction. They mainly kept us around because of all the experience and training we all had over the years. In the end we were mostly doing troubleshooting and repair/replacement of the equipment when needed. Wish I could've stayed on to retire as planned but it wasn't so. Still a great job and we had the potential to earn as much as we wanted, which was great!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
Spray it with the garden hose until it falls off. Big Grin

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Pellet rifle. One or two pumps. Not enough to damage the transformer. Just enough to really mess up the wasp house. Repeat until you shoot it down.
Should be good for a few hours of entertainment.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot bottle rockets at it until one penetrates the nest. The shockwave will do the job Big Grin

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Leave it alone. The colony will die off and the queen move on in the fall, and they won't reuse it next year.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The power company will more than likely deal with it. If they need to replace that transformer they won’t want to deal with the hornets at the same time.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
4 utility workers came. One guy blasted with a can of stuff on a fiberglass pole. 5 minutes later he knocked it down. They were the bald face hornets. Glad its gone. Amazing how light the nest is. It was full of larva looking things.