SIGforum
Hornet nest on power transformer

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9490088954

August 13, 2019, 05:56 AM
Oz_Shadow
Hornet nest on power transformer
UPDATE - UTILITY COMPANY TOOK CARE OF IT
I’m not sure how to deal with this. I have a power pole in my yard with the bucket type transformer. On the bottom of that transformer is a hornet nest the size of a basketball. It’s 30-40 feet up. I was noticing a lot more buzzing around lately.

How do I deal with this? Would the utility company even help?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,
August 13, 2019, 06:00 AM
gearhounds
Is it causing any problems? Stings and the like? If nothing electrical is being affected, I wouldn’t sweat it. The nest will die out when winter arrives.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
August 13, 2019, 06:01 AM
KDR
Call the utility. They’d rather send a bucket out with some bee-bop than have a fault on the transformer

August 13, 2019, 06:12 AM
egregore
Call the power company. The pole may be in your yard, but it's their pole and transformer. They won't want any bugs in it. (sorry)
August 13, 2019, 08:21 AM
recoatlift
Our neighbor had a hive like you described.She called the power co., a couple days later, the bucket truck arrived, shot bug juice on it and presto, gone.
August 13, 2019, 09:08 AM
bigwagon
Kill it with fire. Just try to not burn the pole down.
August 13, 2019, 09:11 AM
sns3guppy
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
August 13, 2019, 09:11 AM
RHINOWSO
You need this.

August 13, 2019, 09:16 AM
just1tym
Call the company with your concerns. If it's a problem and if they do not have access in the rear-of with a bucket truck. They do have long fiberglass sticks that can attach a can of wasp killer/repellent that the spray is activated with a long string. We've used these in Substations where wasp nest grow rather large in the metal towers.

Regards, Will G.
August 13, 2019, 09:33 AM
Warhorse
Yep, call DTE or Consumers, whichever one is your power company.

August 13, 2019, 10:13 AM
selogic
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Call the company with your concerns. If it's a problem and if they do not have access in the rear-of with a bucket truck. They do have long fiberglass sticks that can attach a can of wasp killer/repellent that the spray is activated with a long string. We've used these in Substations where wasp nest grow rather large in the metal towers.
You're a substation guy ?
August 13, 2019, 11:15 AM
bendable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa1ez7yL_T4

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
August 13, 2019, 11:40 AM
cslinger
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You need this.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/07rtBip9ixk?start=65" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I am a fairly boring, pay my taxes, follow the law, and generally abide by the social contract kinda guy. All that being said THERE IS NO WAY I COULD OWN THIS. MY INNER 9 YEAR OLD WOULD GET US INTO SO MUCH TROUBLE. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
August 13, 2019, 01:05 PM
Oz_Shadow
Sounds like the power company is going to take care of it. Hopefully sooner rather than later. The hornets certainly picked a heckuva location.

August 13, 2019, 01:10 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You need this.

I am a fairly boring, pay my taxes, follow the law, and generally abide by the social contract kinda guy. All that being said THERE IS NO WAY I COULD OWN THIS. MY INNER 9 YEAR OLD WOULD GET US INTO SO MUCH TROUBLE. Smile
Oh, you and me both.

"Need me to light that BBQ?"

"How about that burn pile?"

"Oh, that hornets nest must die!!!"

"4th of July / New Years Eve is gonna be EPIC!!!!"
August 13, 2019, 01:22 PM
YooperSigs
One of the smoother moves I pulled as a kid was using a Wrist Rocket slingshot to shoot a hornets nest. Numerous neighbor kids were standing too close and the nest fell into the group. Lots of stings resulted.
I enjoyed it tremendously. Damn. I miss my childhood!
Call the utility. The hornets pose a threat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
August 13, 2019, 01:28 PM
Oz_Shadow
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
One of the smoother moves I pulled as a kid was using a Wrist Rocket slingshot to shoot a hornets nest. Numerous neighbor kids were standing too close and the nest fell into the group. Lots of stings resulted.
I enjoyed it tremendously. Damn. I miss my childhood!
Call the utility. The hornets pose a threat.

I was thinking someone should invent paintball gun ammo with wasp/hornet killer inside but I suspect that would be used inappropriately
August 13, 2019, 01:37 PM
selogic
The only real issue with that nest was if a power company guy stumbled into it on a dark night . It isn't an electrical hazard . You live in Michigan ? They should wait until winter and remove it safely .
August 13, 2019, 01:39 PM
HRK
I know a guy at LMMFC, just saying...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAxKk64Hxm4
August 13, 2019, 02:06 PM
just1tym
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
You're a substation guy ?

Was. Worked with Florida Power and Light Company for 25yrs in Substations. We trained in our Power Delivery dept to run feeder sections for hurricane restoration so we cross trained and understood overhead work to a degree so we could restore feeder sections.

My job was with Substations, repair, troubleshoot, and/or replacing all equipment in Substations and Turkey Point Nuclear plant here in South Florida. Miss it tremendously, had to go out on disability. An amazing job.

Regards, Will G.