SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone have recommendations for auto transport
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have recommendations for auto transport Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
Going from Las Vegas to PA. second week of May. Companies you may have used who are reliable, & do what they say. I'm not interested in driving it. I submitted for an online quote, but am being so bombarded I can't make sense of it all.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have not found a transport company that does not have significant numbers of negative reviews and outright horror stories. By the way, you’ll be getting contacted for weeks or months since you requested quotes online.

My advice is to pay a personal friend/acquaintance to do it, or talk to a couple of local car dealers and ask who they use. Normally they use retired guys who are trustworthy; expect to pay $300/day plus expenses.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of six732
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Plycar twice without issue and on time delivery.

Posts: 782 | Location: South West Georgia | Registered: March 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Sunday auto transport. They move high-end cars but may be competitive for you.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what kind of vehicle?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

My advice is to pay a personal friend/acquaintance to do it, or talk to a couple of local car dealers and ask who they use. Normally they use retired guys who are trustworthy; expect to pay $300/day plus expenses.

My retired elderly neighbor does this for a side job.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My sister's Kia. She's moving back to PA & only taking her car. She's gonna fly, I gotta get it shipped.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are we talking shipping or someone driving the Kia?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I used road runner transport to get a car from Boone,NC to Madison, WI.

It got there fine on the day scheduled. That said I shopped around and found all of these companies to be slimy. When you call you probably won’t be dealing with the driver, it will be a broker.

Be sure you get everything they tell you in writing, including pick up and delivery dates and the payment info, including how much and when.

The broker took my credit card but didn’t run it. When the car arrived in Madison the driver demanded cash.

If you can avoid going this route, I would. You might want to check with moving companies as well as car transports.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horseless carriage is a very popular one I see a lot of people shipping with here. They seem to do a lot of high end cars.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone here on the forum would be willing to drive it for you? Big Grin

I would, I love road trips.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple years back I bought my granddaughter a car on e-Bay. Car was in Las Vegas. Thought she and I would fly out and drive it back. One way plane tickets to Las Vegas on short notice was high, plus gas and motels for trip back. Guy I bought it from said there was a big auto auction in Las Vegas that weekend. Said he would put it on the board? (electronic or manual, I don't know) and see if anyone had space going to Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Called me back later and said had a truck with space and would deliver to my door for $600. I took the deal and arrived a few days later in perfect shape. Might find a used car dealer in the area that would post for you.

Posts: 263 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if I thought that I could more than my legs inside a Kia , I would consider driving it out there for you.

Holler when you need to move a suburban a yukon or a freight liner

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have used Horseless Carriage twice.

Once, I moved a 1947 Chevrolet with 26K original miles from California to North Carolina. This was fairly simple. The parents loaded the car, the man drove it onto a trailer, and in a few days, it showed up in my driveway.

So, I called them again to move the same car from NC to VA some years later. Here, they managed to completely make life miserable. Somehow, the car went from NC to Atlanta, to a warehouse. It sat there, but no one knew where it was. No one. Many phone calls, no idea where it actually was. In a couple of weeks, it showed up in VA. How, I'll never know. The vent windows were damaged.

I will never use a large trailer transport company again, without figuring out many more details. Who is driving the car? Where is it going? Is it being placed in one trailer, off-loaded, cross-docked, and put on another trailer? When exactly will it arrive? Etc.

I would not imagine that a Kia would be of that much concern, as it is not collectible, except if you actually wanted to know when the car would be available for you to drive in your new environs. For this, the carrier should be quizzed and requizzed as to the exact schedule.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this thread that is quite old. Any recent experiences? Looking for Virginia to California shipment for a sedan.
Thanks!

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I just used Roadrunner this past week to get a car from Central Illinois to my brother in Houston. It was $900 and was picked up on Saturday and in Houston Monday evening with no problems.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Passport Transport and Intercity Lines are two I've used.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Looked myself a few times; Kids Honda, worth ~$7k (BUT a good, clean $7k Honda is not easy to find so I guess that increases the real value?)

Anyway, by far the cheapest (And lowest risk imo) was to drive it from VA to TX, then fly back. (Bonus, stuff you don't want to or cannot ship; you can move with you in the car)

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
Looked myself a few times; Kids Honda, worth ~$7k (BUT a good, clean $7k Honda is not easy to find so I guess that increases the real value?)

Anyway, by far the cheapest (And lowest risk imo) was to drive it from VA to TX, then fly back. (Bonus, stuff you don't want to or cannot ship; you can move with you in the car)

I originally thought of doing the drive, but 3+ days in the car driving cross country isn’t my idea of fun and when you factor actual costs of flights, hotel, gas and wear its not a realistic proposition. Shipping is much cheaper, plus factoring in value of my time.
If I was being leisurely and stopping at all the touristy things along the way like I did in my 20’s, it might make more sense.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pay COD only! I got fucked once. Video your car inside and out. Be there for the pick up. Watch them load it.

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post