SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New fangled toasters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New fangled toasters Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Well, I got one of them new fangled toaster ovens. And I must say, I like it.

I like my toast proper. Texas thick toast. Richly browned and crispy on the outside, light and soft on the inside.

This new toaster gets it there quickly - 2.5 minutes vs the old toaster which took 6+ minutes.

It comes out better I think. Perhaps because the heat comes on so fast and so strong. It's like searing the bread.

https://www.amazon.com/Panason...0_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got a lot of use out of our old toaster oven. Toasted cheese sandwiches, toast, nachos, etc.

Panasonic makes a good household appliance and I need a new one.

Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
118 dollars! For a toaster!?

I'm in the market for a new toaster but dang. Though I suppose this thing is more appropriately termed an oven.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had a breville for about a year.

Very consistent for toast.

If $118 is expensive don't look at a Breville toaster oven.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Mine was $5 at goodwill. Seems to toast stuff and reheat stuff just fine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I'm in the market for a new toaster but dang. Though I suppose this thing is more appropriately termed an oven.

Yea. I use it for toast and bagels, reheating things like fries, fried chicken. Use it to cook a sweet potato.

I had a Cuisanart before which worked well and was larger; had a convection fan.

But this new Panasonic is noticeably faster making toast. I love that.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
We have had a breville for about a year.

Very consistent for toast.

If $118 is expensive don't look at a Breville toaster oven.

We have the Breville countertop convection over/toaster.
The thing is awesome!!!!! Saves so much time as the preheat time compared to the full save oven is about a third.

It is great for baking, broiling, and toasting.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I love a toaster oven, my favorite way to cook. I'm really not much of a cook but my expectations aren't that high.
My wife hates a toaster oven. She thinks it looks terrible on the counter and tries to hide it any chance she gets.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Yea. I use it for toast and bagels, reheating things like fries, fried chicken. Use it to cook a sweet potato.

I had a Cuisanart before which worked well and was larger; had a convection fan.

But this new Panasonic is noticeably faster making toast. I love that.

Bastage. You had to include the link, didn't you? It's sitting in my cart, and I'm this close to pulling the trigger.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It’s only been a couple of weeks but I’m happy with it.

A couple of things to note:
1) exterior gets pretty hot. Typical of many similar products but just be aware that this is definitely one of them.
2) no convection. Not a big deal for me especially since it’s smaller than my prior unit
3) the oven timer only goes up to 25 minutes. Which is enough for most reheat duties, especially for the heat generated. But I need two cycles to cook potatoes. Not a deal breaker for me.

Definitely shop around. Previously I was considering the Breville but I used the Panasonic at the hotel last time I was in japan and I loved how fast it made toast.

posted Hide Post
I use a Dualit 4-slice Toaster. It is hand-built in England. If I hadnt got it for free, I would never have bought, because it is too expensive!!! But, I must say, it is a fine toaster.
https://www.amazon.com/Dualit-...Chrome/dp/B00009NRP4

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I got some kind of one in the cabinet of never use in the kitchen .

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
I use a Dualit 4-slice Toaster. It is hand-built in England. If I hadnt got it for free, I would never have bought, because it is too expensive!!! But, I must say, it is a fine toaster.
https://www.amazon.com/Dualit-...Chrome/dp/B00009NRP4

God save the queen! That's an expensive toast maker.

Man, I guess I just forgot what a quality toaster costs.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
Alan- the Dualit is a great toaster that I got when we were helping clean up a person's home after the old gentleman had passed away. The lady of the house was moving to go and stay with her son's family. We were helping pack up his and his wife's personal belongings, as she was getting ready to move to Alpine, UT., following the passing of her husband. So, a few of the guys from the Church Ward( we are LDS) were cleaning up and packing up the stuff, and she said that she didnot want the toaster, and asked me to put it in the recycling bin. I asked her if I could have it, and she agreed. So, I got a Dualit toaster for free. I bought it home, cleaned it up, and it has worked fantastically for the past 5 years. I didnot know how expensive Dualit toasters were until a friend bought one from Williams-Sonoma, and told me what my toaster was worth. Now, I find out that there are also guys out there who collect Dualit appliances!!!!! SmileSmile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I love a toaster oven, my favorite way to cook. I'm really not much of a cook but my expectations aren't that high.
My wife hates a toaster oven. She thinks it looks terrible on the counter and tries to hide it any chance she gets.

^^^ This...

Big Grin

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You guys suck.
Again.
Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
LOL. Smile

Whatcha buy?

posted Hide Post
thanks for posting this, my 25 y.o. toaster has decided that IT! knows how I should be eating bread.

very brown on one side , pretty much raw on the other and the other slice is close to almost being half done Big Grin Roll Eyes

I have been looking at these for a month or so.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Get the Dualit -- I'm curious for a range report now Smile

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I got some kind of one in the cabinet of never use in the kitchen .

With the rice cooker, bread maker, juicer, and fondue set?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post