SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My oldest daughter says she's ready for the range.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My oldest daughter says she's ready for the range. Login/Join 
Picture of Mutiny
posted
my oldest daughter (turning 7 in July) told me this week that she's ready for me to take her shooting. I agree she's finally mature enough, but not her younger sister. So today, together we ordered her shooting glasses and hearing protection. After school gets out in a couple more weeks, we will re-discuss firearm safety, range rules and hit the range. I'm very excited! Will definitely have to post some photos when it happens.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
What are you planning on starting her out with?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
What are you planning on starting her out with?

As much as I would love to put her on the AR, realistically and initially it will be my old Marlin single shot bolt action .22 with iron sights. Depending on how she does, we may graduate to something else. My dad started me at age 6 on an H&R single shot 20 gauge- was my birthday present.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

22 bolt seems just perfect. Remember to start out with close, big targets, so she wont get discouraged.
Have fun with daddy/daughter time.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Congrats.

22 bolt seems just perfect. Remember to start out with close, big targets, so she wont get discouraged.
Have fun with daddy/daughter time.

Thanks- I have some of the larger shoot n see targets saved for just this occasion. She's a smart, strong and really tough kid, so not worried about kick or handling the weapon safely. I more worry about the loud noise/report of the shot bothering her.

E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
You might think about ending your range session with somewhat of a "reactive" target.

I'm thinking along the lines of a 2 liter bottle of soda pop... well shaken.

They're cheap enough, and I'll bet she gets a big kick out of it Big Grin

BE safe, have fun, and good on you for introducing your daughter to the shooting sports.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Some clay pigeons stood up make a nice reactive (and cheap)target for a .22 as well. Bet she'd love shooting at those

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
~*~INSTANT KARMA offer~*~

Congratulations on the milestone. I still remember my first gun and "range session" with my Dad. I got a single shot .22 rifle for Christmas when I was 7.

My wife and I are NRA instructors and I have some extra Eddie Eagle materials I'll gladly INSTANT KARMA to you for the kiddos if you like. I offer this simply to help out and reinforce your gun safety lessons and NOT as judgement of those skills. I say this because I had someone take offense at my offer for that very reason.

If you would like the materials please let me know how many kids you need materials for and email me with "Eddie Eagle" or "SIG Forum" in the subject line so I see it to "Rotndad@Gmail.com" and I will ship the stuff out ASAP. I have the coloring books, crayons (pack of 4 colors), stickers, even a challenge coin. Big Grin I also have the parent's handouts and the video I can send. I only ask that you agree to send back the video. It's the only one I have.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Father/daughter time is so important.

First rule to my young nephew comes before the safety rules: Above all else Do not shoot me. Do not shoot your dad.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
~*~INSTANT KARMA offer~*~

Congratulations on the milestone. I still remember my first gun and "range session" with my Dad. I got a single shot .22 rifle for Christmas when I was 7.

My wife and I are NRA instructors and I have some extra Eddie Eagle materials I'll gladly INSTANT KARMA to you for the kiddos if you like. I offer this simply to help out and reinforce your gun safety lessons and NOT as judgement of those skills. I say this because I had someone take offense at my offer for that very reason.

If you would like the materials please let me know how many kids you need materials for and email me with "Eddie Eagle" or "SIG Forum" in the subject line so I see it to "Rotndad@Gmail.com" and I will ship the stuff out ASAP. I have the coloring books, crayons (pack of 4 colors), stickers, even a challenge coin. Big Grin I also have the parent's handouts and the video I can send. I only ask that you agree to send back the video. It's the only one I have.

Rotndad what a very generous and fantastic offer! I will take you up on it, and contact you separately as you stated. Thanks again- this type of thing is really what makes this forum such a special place for so many people. Once again, I really appreciate it and I am sure my daughters will too!

posted Hide Post
When my kids were just learning to shoot I started them out with a Chipmunk 22 and 2 liter drink bottles filled with water and Cci stinger ammo. Once they got good at the 2 liters I changed to drink cans also filled with water. Kids like to see thinks explode. Enjoy the time with your child, they grow up so fast, these are the golden years.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
Rotndad what a very generous and fantastic offer!!
Totally in character for Rotndad. He is a really warm, generous person. It is a privilege to be acquainted with him.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azranger45
posted Hide Post
Outstanding sir, enjoy your time with her, should be fun for both of you.

Posts: 359 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a few sessions, you could get multicolored golf balls cheaply as reactive targets. They're fun to watch pop around.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
First attempt at posting a pic... was a great first day. Fun daddy/daughter outing and she had a wonderful first time at the range. She turns 7 tomorrow, so I picked up the CZ 455 scout as a present for her and gave it to her early. Thx again Rotndad for the Eddie Eagle stuff!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mutiny,

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I envy you. Treasure these days. Sooner than you would like, they will be gone.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
.....so I picked up the CZ 455 scout as a present for her and gave it to her early.

Excellent choice for a first rifle. She will be able to pass that down to her daughter.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:
.....so I picked up the CZ 455 scout as a present for her and gave it to her early.

Excellent choice for a first rifle. She will be able to pass that down to her daughter.

Thanks- it is a nice rifle for sure- and she loved it!

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, wonderful story. Enjoy these moments dearly.

Please pass along Happy Birthday wishes to your daughter.

Sounds like you both had a great day!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Great job! Before you know it, she will be out shooting you.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post