SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NBC Jesus Christ Superstar for Easter... Can anyone say pandering?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NBC Jesus Christ Superstar for Easter... Can anyone say pandering? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Um. No, they can't think they're going to make people believe that they're sincere about presenting this on Easter.

And, two, JCS was not the original rock opera (September 1970). The Story of Simon Simopath (1967) by British psychedelic band Nirvana was the first recorded rock opera. Later in 1967, Montreal's Influence recorded a long suite titled "Mad Birds of Prey (A Mini-Opera)", which closed out their sole album, which was released in January 1968. Perhaps unaware of these earlier efforts, Neil Strauss of The New York Times wrote that S.F. Sorrow (1968) by The Pretty Things is "generally acknowledged as the first rock opera". Although Pete Townshend denied taking any influence from S.F. Sorrow, critics have compared The Who's Tommy (1969) to it. Scott Mervis of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote that, although Tommy was not the first rock opera, it was the first album to be billed as such.

The NBC article follows:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/nb...spring-2018-musical/

NBC is upping its musical ante in 2018 by going for a spring musical. The peacock network announced on Wednesday that it has acquired the rights for Jesus Christ Superstar and will air a live rendition of the production next Easter.

Broadway legends Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, who wrote the music and lyrics for the original show, will executive produce with Marc Platt, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.

"As we continue to expand the profile of our live musicals, we are thrilled to be partnering with Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice to bring a new live staging of the iconic Jesus Christ Superstar to NBC," said NBC Entertainment chief Robert Greenblatt. "Casting has just begun, but we want to fill out this classic show with as many recording artists as possible to give proper voice to what is the original rock opera score."

The musical first started as a concept album that reached No. 1 on the Billboard charts before finding its feet on Broadway in 1971. The musical follows Jesus in the final week of his life and features other famous biblical figures like Judas Iscariot, Mary Magdalene, Pontius Pilate, Caiaphas, Annas, Peter, Simon Zealotes and King Herod.

Jesus Christ Superstar was subsequently turned into a film in 1973 and the stage version was revived in 2012.

NBC was the first of the big four networks to get into the live musical game, launching The Sound of Music Live! Christmas special in 2013, starring Carrie Underwood. The most recent musical endeavor was Hairspray! Live starring Kristin Chenoweth and Harvey Fierstein. The network will also stage a live version of Bye Bye Birdie this December with Jesus Christ Superstar coming shortly after in the spring.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone say pandering?

No, but I can say that they obviously have never listed to nor understood the work. This is not a scriptural based performance that any Christian church would preform for Easter.

This is comparable to reading "Johnny Got His Gun" at Arlington National Cemetery for Memorial Day or preforming it live at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
"Pandering is the act of expressing views in accordance with the likes of a group to which one is attempting to appeal. "

I get that they don't get it. They don't get what they don't get, but they're trying to pretend that they get it and that they're being supportive by doing this.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
With John Legend and Alice Cooper starring you just know this is going to be awesome..... NOT! Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
NBC, continuing to exhibit its unhinged cluelessness to the world.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I recall as a kid growing up the big 3 networks always played Moses and The Greatest Story Ever Told right around Easter?

This is nothing new.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
The peacock network announced on Wednesday that it has acquired the rights for Jesus Christ Superstar and will air a live rendition of the production next Easter.

I can hardly wait to find out who the first trans-gendered actor to play Jesus will be.

Susan Sarandon is a lock for "Mary". And Whoopie Goldberg will play one of the "Three Wise Persons".

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager I had JCS on cassette. The music is ok. The times in my life that I have been a church attendee I cannot recall any Christians mentioning JCS. I think that most do not know that JCS even exists.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

I can't remember what network The Lawrence Welk Show was on...but "cluelessness" on TV goes back awhile Big Grin...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I recall as a kid growing up the big 3 networks always played Moses and The Greatest Story Ever Told right around Easter?

This is nothing new.

Yes, but this is new because this musical is a mockery of scripture. Christians who know about it are not going to watch it.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

I can't remember what network The Lawrence Welk Show was on...but "cluelessness" on TV goes back awhile Big Grin...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA If didn't know better, I would swear that is a parody of The LW Show. That is hysterical.

Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
All in all, it's a very cool show with some really great music. I had the pleasure of seeing Ted Neeley perform it live in the 90's... Sounded as good as he did in the movie.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I've got the cd and like to listen to it when the mood strikes but let’s not confuse it with anything Christian.

Didn’t the church ban the movie for years after it was released?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why do you think all those musicians were so happy and smiling while playing that "square" stuff? They just found the groove!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post