SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got our dinners bought for use tonight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got our dinners bought for use tonight Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
Took my wife out for a birthday dinner tonight. We both had cesar salad, Zuppa di Pesce and a cannoli for dessert. Bill about $85 plus tip.

Waiter comes by and says our meal is taken care of. WTF! No one knew we where going there as it was a last minute decision. Waiter says he can't say who paid. The waiter comes by and I said I at least owe you a tip. He said no way, it's all covered and then eventually fesses up it was a lady (mid 30's) with two pre teen children that was sitting at a table not to far from us.

I'm blown away.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Were you in uniform?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to your wife! Apparently somebody recognized you or your service...karma comes in both good and bad examples.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

No uniform. I've not worn one for 50+ years. Just an older couple out for a meal.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Karma requires you to pay it forward and do the same for someone else.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
She must have heard you two talking about your wife's birthday which inspired her to gift you your meals. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

No uniform. I've not worn one for 50+ years. Just an older couple out for a meal.

That is moving to a number of people, couple in 70's proving life long love exists. probably just a fan of love.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

Yes it does! Try the opposite, young couple obviously in love.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had this happen once when the boys were 2 and 3. They were everywhere but in their seats. We were shocked when the waitress asked if we knew the gentlemen who had sat near us.
That was 20years ago and we still continue the tradition.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome. That was no small bill and to do it anonymously as well. Very cool.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

That was my thought. I've paid for people behind me in a drive through line but never anything this expensive.

-D.H. Lawrence

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
some time ago at a local steak resturant spotted a older sedan with military 'POW'plates. upon entering seating area was almost empty. seeing a elderly gentleman sitting alone. I approached him and asked if that was his car with the "POW" plates and he gave the deer in headlights response then asked if I had hit it with my vehicle... my response was that I wanted to say thank you for his service .. after returning to my table made sure that the waitress gave me his dinner bill.. when he was ready to leave he was told that his bill had been taken care of but he figured out that I was the responsible party he came over to say thank you with tears in his eyes... my reply was 'YOU DO NOT NEED TO THANK ME BECAUSE I NEED TO SAY THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE"........................drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've anonymously picked up the check for uniformed military in a restaurant before. The guys really didn't look surprised when the server told them it was taken care of. I imagine they got a lot of that kind of treatment back when you always saw uniformed military in the airports to/from deployment.

One time on a very small Bombardier plane, I told the flight attendant I'd buy all the soldiers' drinks on that flight. But she said they wouldn't be charged anyway. I tried.

I swear, this karma has come back to me many times. I almost never get charged for my drinks on flights. Today I was comp'ed four of them on one flight.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see them at a restaurant, I'll pick up the check for Cops and Military in uniform.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post