SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump pardons Army 1st LT Lorance, MAJ Goldstein and restores SEAL Gallagher to CPO rank...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump pardons Army 1st LT Lorance, MAJ Goldstein and restores SEAL Gallagher to CPO rank... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
With what President Trump has done & continues to do, it’s like I’m living in a country that I’ve never known before.

Long live President Trump!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Now if Trump would just order the firing squad for Bergdahl!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I think this shows that Trump genuinely cares about the RANK AND FILE military. The ones who actually fight our wars.

It's becoming clear that the REMF portions of our military establishment are nothing but Beltway rats who are party to the silent coup, but the vast majority of our military are heartened by Trump's actions.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
great news!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!!!

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Thank God for President Trump.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Great news - Thank you President Trump.

I hereby motion that all JAG members must spend multiple tours in war theaters as;
1. Point on IED search missions.
2. Comfort JAG buddies as they die in his/her arms after being blown apart by an IED.
3. Knock on doors in a hostile area and introduce their self to whoever answers the door and ask them where all the bad guys are.
4. Participate in night missions in hostile areas, be the first off the helicopter and secure the area while the others wait for his signal. If he/she can not signal back it is safe, drop in a second JAG member to search for his/her body.
5. Guard any captured enemy combatants, preferably unarmed, and ask them if and why they have violated any of the rules of the Geneva Convention.
6. Discuss why they violated the rules of engagement and fired before being fired upon, and determine why they raped and murdered women and children in the village.
7. Put them in some remote outpost that is undermanned and attacked day and night. No sleep, no dinner parties.
8. Go rescue a wounded JAG buddy that is 100 yards ahead in the active battle field and carry him/her back to safety.
9. Ensure they are put into many different situations where they have split seconds to make decisions on their life or death. They die or the enemy combatant dies, quick decide. This is not a video game you don't get a restart.

I could continue - rant off.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
About time someone had the military's back, and not because it is convenient or photo op worthy. Left wants to judge and destroy the honor of the people we put into these difficult positions, military and police alike. "Get it done but be careful how you do it or we will crucify you." Good job Mr President.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
About time someone had the military's back, and not because it is convenient or photo op worthy. Left wants to judge and destroy the honor of the people we put into these difficult positions, military and police alike. "Get it done but be careful how you do it or we will crucify you." Good job Mr President.

Irregardless of political leanings, there's plenty of officers and bureaucrats both in uniform and without, working within the 5-sided building in NOVA that simply don't care. They simply see prosecution as a stepping stone, they don't care about the issues on the ground, they don't care who they push aside or, fuck-over.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
President Trump once again takes an aggressive common sense approach and fixes three injustices.

Let's all hope he didn't misspell anything in his twitter announcement. Smile (and thus send CNN people into therapy)

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
So how does this work for Lt Lorance, does he stay in the Army, back to normal duty? Or is he just pardoned from his sentence and still gets drummed out?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Thank God for President Trump.

Ditto!

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
So how does this work for Lt Lorance, does he stay in the Army, back to normal duty? Or is he just pardoned from his sentence and still gets drummed out?

Despite serving 6-years in prison, he has no career in the Army; the best to come from this is his return of rank, benefits and rights. He may be cleared by POTUS, however any attempt to stay-in will be met with bureaucratic/administrative foot dragging, and actions that will require repeated challenging. While there's plenty of slogans and bumpersticker statements about the military being a brotherhood, its really a fraternity, which includes all the shortcomings of such. One of them is tribal ostracisation and alienation of individuals, particularly when the senior command has set the tone.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly any chance at a real career is likely over. He could get off active duty and perhaps have a full career in the Guard or Reserves though.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I thought clemency was basically a get out of jail card, not a pardon?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
This sure beats the pardon Obummer gave to Manning!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
This sure beats the pardon Obummer gave to Manning!

Obama didn't give Manning a pardon. He commuted his sentence...basically, releasing him with a conviction, but with time he has already served. (To the best of my knowledge) Manning was dishonorably discharged because of the court martial conviction.

These three guys...Lorance will likely be administratively separated. The Chief and the Major will be retired.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I’m good with the other two. But one of them got a free ride, the officer who ordered his people to shoot at unarmed people and none of his people testified for him. One of those who supposedly was under him at the time pointed this out. For me, that speaks volumes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A pardon is a legal device that clears the penalties for a conviction or alleged crime, but it’s not a “didn’t do it” exoneration like “Oops: the DNA demonstrated you weren’t the rapist.” If someone is convicted of a crime based on the testimony of witnesses, not everyone in the military will welcome him back with open arms even if the President thought that the conviction and/or sentence was unjust.

As the expression goes, everyone has an opinion, and it’s not unusual for people from the bottom up to think thoughts—and act acts—on the basis of those opinions. I will be curious to learn if the pardon of the lieutenant gives him back pay and what would probably have been a more or less automatic promotion to captain, but I would be surprised if he goes any further, and assuming that he doesn’t just resign. Promotion boards and personnel managers have wide latitude in making decisions, and pardon or not, his prison time would be a major factor in those decisions. There may be some, perhaps most even, in his former military community who would be overjoyed to serve with him again, but I would bet a nickel that it wouldn’t be all of them.

It would take some very unusual personal interest by the President, and only as long as he’s in office of course, to ensure that the lieutenant’s career was not adversely affected by what happened to him.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post