SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody use the Ballarini Parma cookware..UPDATE:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody use the Ballarini Parma cookware..UPDATE: Login/Join 
Picture of m1009
posted
I just received my 20 yr work anniversary gift catalog, and was thinking about cookware. I’m not a chef, and never had a set of anything. Got a choice between Calphalon stainless, or Ballarini Parma, Rachel Ray, Greenpan, and some unknown nonstick brand. Unknown cause I couldn’t find the name. I have a flattop stove, but wasn’t sure which would be more durable for my simple needs.
Thoughts? Opinions? Experience?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: m1009,

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never even heard of Bellarini Parma. Calphalon makes very good quality cook wear. Go with those.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Calaphon out of those mentioned but it says it stainless. Not the easiest stuff to cook on if your inexperienced. If you don't want the learning curve of cooking, particularly frying in stainless go with something non stick if it's available.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8527 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I wanted the Calphalon, but have never used only stainless. If they had offered non stick on my options, there would have not been any question. Frown

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Cooking on stainless is not all that difficult. For frying you just have to make sure the pan and oil is at the right temp. Add the oil to the pan and when you see the oil start to shimmer you should be good. Avoid super high heat.

I would think that Rachel Ray stuff would be non stick it's not?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8527 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calphalon.

Get one non-stick pan, use it for egg dishes, fish, anything cheesy or, sugary. Non-stick pans will wear out, plan to replace every 5-years so don't plan on spending a lot; use those Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons for them. NEVER set the burner above medium, you'll wear out the non-stick faster.

Cooking on stainless, just use enough (not too much) oil or, butter and make sure the pan is properly heated. Evaporate a few drops of water before putting in the food is a good rough gauge of a properly heated pan. A nice 10" or, 12" saute pan (straight sides w/lid) is a very versatile option combined with a non-stick skillet. As you're pursuing recipes to try, learn to braise.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I would think that Rachel Ray stuff would be non stick it's not?

The Rachel Ray is non stick, but not sure how durable a celebrity brand is, ha.
I know Calphalon name, and was leaning toward it, but since it’s stainless, wasn’t sure how much of a learning curve I’d need to use it well.
Like I mentioned, have always used non stick before. Usually T-Fal, but since this is my reward for being there this long, I thought to actually get a set of something good.

Oh, and the Ballarini brand is supposed to be a ceramic? I’d never heard of it before either. Reviews are mixed, like most are. Some love it, and it is non stick, and some say not as great. Still thinking.

posted Hide Post
Get the Calphalon. Cooking/frying results are different on stainless versus nonstick. Now is always a good time to learn. There are lots of great instructional videos on the internet.

Posts: 104 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Rachel Ray, Junk
Greenpan, Junk
unknown nonstick brand Junk

The majority of cookware have to be replaced, as corsair mentioned.

I am currently using Vollrath...good stuff, restaurant quality, but I only get about 4 years out of them. About the only stuff you can have almost forever is aluminum. This is a chrome plated by vollrath>>>
quote:
quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Vollrat..._product_top?ie=UTF8

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. I will take a look at a YouTube video and see what it shows on cooking with stainless. Appreciate all the info!

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Update: Decided on Calphalon stainless. Put in my order today, researched Youtube, and decided this would work well for me. Thanks for all the info and comments!

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Stainless pans can be seasoned just like cast iron. Actually, it is easier.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calphalon makes non-stick cookware. Check the website of Calphalon, and you will find lots of stuff that might work for your needs.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1009:
Update: Decided on Calphalon stainless. Put in my order today, researched Youtube, and decided this would work well for me. Thanks for all the info and comments!

I think you made a wise choice..... I'd get 1 or 2 non-stick GOOD quality non-stick skillets to do some cooking in.... a 10" is the most popular size and a 12" comes in handy if you are cooking for more than 2 people......You can find All-Clad or Calphalon non-stick skillets for good prices at places like Marshalls.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I cook on all stainless, and have 2 non stick pans that I use for eggs and pancakes. Everything else can be cooked in a good stainless pan, for the most part, just fine.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I can’t seem to embed from my phone but to cook on stainless without sticking watch this video.

https://youtu.be/8ye1hqMjV5k

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody! I would have gotten non stick, but this is a choice I had from my employer on my 20 yr anniversary, so the only option for the Calphalon was stainless. I’m sure I will enjoy them!

posted Hide Post
Good stainless steel cookware should last a lifetime, whereas even the best nonstick cookware will last only a few years at best. I’d get good stainless stuff and an inexpensive nonstick pan ($20-$30) that you can replace every year or so. I’ve been using some copper-colored nonstick pans from Costco and they seem to work well.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post