SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Subaru BRZ drivers/owners/tuners here? Update: Which exhaust?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Subaru BRZ drivers/owners/tuners here? Update: Which exhaust? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm thinking of buying myself a present. I want a fun car. My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so we have the practical/grocery hauling duties covered.

I'm looking at the Subaru BRZ. It seems like a small British sports car but built with Subaru quality. linky

Anyone have any experience with them? Especially any advice on extracting the most performance out of one.

Thanks,

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all-

I'm thinking of buying myself a present. I want a fun car. My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so we have the practical/grocery hauling duties covered.

I'm looking at the Subaru BRZ. It seems like a small British sports car but built with Subaru quality. linky

Anyone have any experience with them? Especially any advice on extracting the most performance out of one.

Thanks,

Bruce

they're slow as hell but handle great, should have been turbo or supercharged from the factory.. There's a big aftermarket for them (including turbo and supercharger kits) that would be a necessity if I were to buy one.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you want a wrx

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They are very fun and handle amazingly well. The downside is they are slow and very small inside. I would test drive it first but they are solid little fun cars.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
BRZ is built by Toyota

http://www.roadandtrack.com/ca...-same-but-different/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Supposedly a super driving car, but just low on power.

If you are dead set on a rear wheel drive car - check out a BMW 228i. If you are ok with FWD - definitely test drive an MK7 GTI.

Also pretty sure Subaru builds the BRZ

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion would be the Nissan 370Z. The base and sport models are a little bit more than the BRZ but offer a whole lot more power. It's still a basic, honest 2 seat sports car.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Supposedly a super driving car, but just low on power.

If you are dead set on a rear wheel drive car - check out a BMW 228i. If you are ok with FWD - definitely test drive an MK7 GTI.

Also pretty sure Subaru builds the BRZ

Another vote for the BMW 2. Turning in my '15 228i for an '18 230i next week. Rock solid dependability and the most fun to drive car in my 33 years of driving. Just avoid all the typical BMW options, $$ adds up quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
The FRS and BRZ are both built by Subaru but they partnered with Toyota. Since Scion shut it's doors the FRS has been rebadged as the 86. Just like the Scion iA is really a Mazda 2.

Far as RWD goes consider the IS series of Lexus (also avail in AWD).

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
BRZ is a great little car but limited aftermarket as of yet and a relatively slow seller. Have you considered a WRX? Huge following, a lot of tuners, aftermarket support and clubs/shows to get involved with. Also the Subaru AWD system is not just about snow, the WRX's handle and stick to the road really well with the awd system. Just something to consider.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Fun, but need way more power.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Right now deciding between a '15 WRX with 6k miles and a '17 BRZ brand new. Price is about equal. I haven't priced insurance, yet.
WRX is more practical and better aftermarket support but I like the "2 seater that's actually a 4 seater" feel of the BRZ.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Test drove one and decided against it. Even though it is small, it needs more power. They should've shoved the WRX engine in it. Now, if they turn it into a convertible I might get it instead of a BMW again.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I own the Scion FR-S. This is the Scion version of the BRZ. I am 6'4" and 230 lbs and as some have said it is a small car. It is small but it is a sports car. I fit in the passenger compartment just fine. I do not have any trouble getting in or out of it. It does have back seats however they are useless for passengers.
This is not a car for long driving trips(several hours at a time) but most sports cars are not meant long term trips. It does not have a lot of trunk space for luggage but for basic weekly food shopping it is fine.
It is very fun to drive and handles great,especially in curves. To me it has very tight steering and responds well on the highways.
Some have said it is slow and a turbo would be nice. I don't think it's slow but I am not racing it on the street and highways of central Florida. It has nice pickup from a dead stop but not like a muscle car. It is 200hp and weighs less than 3700 lbs.
It is good on gas. I get almost 30 miles to the gallon however it does require premium gas.
It can be noisy in the passenger compartment mostly wind and road noise.
I went with the 6 speed stick. It has buttons for sport and traction mode but I have not used them.
My wife calls it my mid life crisis car however she likes to drive it as much as I do.
If I had to buy it again I would.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
but I like the "2 seater that's actually a 4 seater" feel of the BRZ.

Uh... Have you tried the rear seats?

More like "2 seater that's actually a 2.5 seater".

quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
It is small but it is a sports car. I fit in the passenger compartment just fine. I do not have any trouble getting in or out of it.

My stepson, who's 6'4", has a BRZ. It was one of the only sports cars he drove that he actually fit comfortably into.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy at work has one -2015- and it's all I hear about. His has a manual transmission, he's lowered it a little, put a few doo-dads under the hood- cold air, oil catch can. He loves the car, and does not baby it. He's had two Vettes before this car, says this one is much more fun and safer to drive hard.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
How about a small British sports car with Mazda quality? (Miata)

That said as long as you skip the first year model, either the FRS or BRZ would be fun as well. Besides those that say they are underpowered are missing the point, just like they say about a Miata, or a TR6 or an MGB, or a Spyder etc...

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to drive a GTI - probably a lot of good deals on any leftover 2017 models.

I honestly wanted a Mustang very badly, but first thing I did was sit in the back "seat" when I went to check one out - sadly it's useless for any adults. Then I was dead set on a BMW 228i (still catch myself looking for those). The GTI is fast out of the box - dynos at 220-230HP at the wheels, and 260-270TQ at the wheels. With a simple stage one tune (there are a ton to choose from) you can easily be at just under 300 HP and 350 TQ. Get one with the performance package and you have a limited slip diff, and huge brakes from the Audi S3. Mine even has dynamic chassis control, or variable dampening. Not bad for under $30K.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
BRZ is nice, but as mentioned feels a bit down on power. What about an S2000? I have one and it is about as raw rear wheel drive as you can get.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
If you know what you are getting into they are great cars.

Very solid, reliable, able to take track punishment, largely due to a brilliant chassis and modest torque to strain anything. Think miata coupe without the chick stigma.

Great for autocross.

If you want brawn you will be dissappointed, but if you want sharpness and low running cost you can't go wrong.

I drive a camaro SS and have a couple good buddies with BRZ's that I've inflicted the amateur racing bug with. They couldn't have started with anything better.

Balanced, consistent, easy to tweak. Unless you wanna smoke the rear tires once in a while.

For that, the cost and rewards go up.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post