SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Subaru BRZ drivers/owners/tuners here? Update: Which exhaust?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Subaru BRZ drivers/owners/tuners here? Update: Which exhaust? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Remember, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. The Top Gear (previous) guys loved it, including that it had the skinny tires of a Prius so it could be drifted.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats, we all know what 'just looking' really meant.

Love the PP on the car, the little spoiler is a nice aesthetic touch.

Now, get thee to the track!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the BRZ. Sharp looking car. Have fun with it.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Now, I need to replace the crappy stock tires. Thinking Continental DWS 06. I've always had good performance from that tire.
Any other suggestions for an All-Season Extreme Performance tire?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Consumer Reports' #1 rated high performance all season is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tire. The Continental DWS 06 you mentioned was #2.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Remember, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Now that's a myth, immediately obvious to anyone that has driven a fast car, slow... Pisses people OFF

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Consumer Reports' #1 rated high performance all season is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tire. The Continental DWS 06 you mentioned was #2.

I have these on our Flex, following LBJ's favorable report on them with his Escape. No complaints at all with them, quieter & better grip than the Nitto Motivo they replaced.

Overkill on a mommy-mobile, probably.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Now, I need to replace the crappy stock tires. Thinking Continental DWS 06. I've always had good performance from that tire.
Any other suggestions for an All-Season Extreme Performance tire?

Bruce

I just mounted mine on my winter wheels.

I ran the regular dws for years and the DWS06 solved the one issue I had with the old one, flex. I still think it’s the best all season high performance tire out there, and keep taking it over the Slippelin or Pirelli. I still run summers half the year but the DWS06 are good year round, don’t give up heaps of grip outside the track in the summer and are just down right nasty good in any kind of rain and light snow. I run their ExtremeContact Sports in the summer. I had MPSS on the stock wheels and prefer the Continental. They just make a solid tire within 95% of any Slippelin offering and don’t have the French price tag.

I’d definitely go to a 225/45/17 on your wheels but I’d also recommend buying a 2nd set of wheels for that thing come spring to mount some summer tires or re-use the OEM tires you are pulling off. Might as well keep them and burn them up next summer. Tire rack has some excellent flow formed cast wheels for $150 a pop or less. I dropped 5 lbs per wheel (unsprung mass) by ditching the stock wheels and buying aftermarket. Sold the OEM wheels for $400 more than my new set cost.

It is the best thing Subaru makes because it has Toyo’s port injection on it.
The other Subaru’s (except the dinosaur EJ in the STI) only have direct injection. You’ve got port and direct injection so your valves will remain clean. You’ve got the best of both worlds. Direct injection only vehicles will have to get walnut blasted at some point. You will not have this issue in the BRZ. Since you got the performance pack, other than going lighter on the wheels and reducing weight at the corners for the handling upgrade, I wouldn’t do anything to it unless you are gonna supercharge it. It’s pretty much dialed. Unless you are gonna put a blower on it anything else is just a waste of money.

It handles like a Cayman for half the price. The gearbox is decent, Brembos, Sachs, you’re all set up that way.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few BRZs on Enkei RPF1s & think they look great, a little more expensive, but a nice & light wheel choice.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Okay DWS 06 it is Smile Another set of wheels might happen, later.
I'd like to do intake and exhaust but mostly for a little more intake honk and a more pleasing exhaust sound. I know the $1000+ isn't worth the 12 hp or so gains. It'll just sound better.
Thanks for all the input. It's really great Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to do intake and exhaust but mostly for a little more intake honk and a more pleasing exhaust sound. I know the $1000+ isn't worth the 12 hp or so gains. It'll just sound better.

Bruce

Choose exhaust extremely wisely and I agree with you. You are smarter than most. Most do that upgrade and expect world’s apart, and it’s not. Whatever you do, you’ll still have that nasty dip in the middle of the powerband but it’s iirelevant once you know and understand which rpm you should shift at.

If you plan on keeping it long term (I would, long term it will retain solid value as we are entering into a world of overcomplexity with vehicles) I’d clearbra the front end, ceramic pro the paint, or both.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bruce

I know I am late on this but congrats on the ride - looks great.

A friend of mine in Texas has this FRS...it's pretty sweet. If you have any questions about modding he's a great guy and knowledgeable, I can pass along his info. Knowing him I can guarantee you he knows just about everything there is to know about the car and available mods.

https://driveslate.com/feature-333/

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Love it!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I mounted the Continental DWS 06 tires and installed an K&N air filter.
I think I'm good, for now. Tons more grip! Not nearly as tail happy but you can still break it loose if you throw it in "Track mode" and stomp on the throttle Smile

I like it more, every day.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Okay, it's broken in: time for a new muffler Smile

I am hearing that the Nameless axleback is the way to go but I like the look and reputation of the Borla. I want bark but minimal drone on the highway.

Any suggestions?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Bump for advice on exhaust system.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
quote:

Bruce
I would some time on a BRZ forum to see what other people are running and are happy with. A V8 is going to sound good no matter what unless you choose one that’s too loud.

4 or 6 cylinders can sound crappy real fast with the wrong decision and can quickly ruin the driving experience.

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

Bruce
I would some time on a BRZ forum to see what other people are running and are happy with. A V8 is going to sound good no matter what unless you choose one that’s too loud.

4 or 6 cylinders can sound crappy real fast with the wrong decision and can quickly ruin the driving experience.

Seconded. Drone sucks, don't risk it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have been lurking forums and watching YouTube clips. Drone sucks. Tinny or ricey sucks. Loud sucks.

I decided to go with the Borla Touring exhaust. Same size and shape as stock so no ground clearance issues. Million mile warranty. Sounds deep but not loud.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
Sorry, can't help with exhaust mods.

However I can tell you the best way to get a truly fast BRZ.

Google Vorshlag BRZ/FR-S LSx swap kits. A good number of BRZ owners have already replaced their pitiful little four bangers with a GM LS series V8.

Yes, I understand there a minor weight penalty.

However the old time hot rodders saying still holds true: "when searching for power, there is no replacement for displacement!

Or put another way "it takes cubic money to beat cubic inches".

And -- congratulations on purchasing a great true sports car!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post