Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lidl and Aldi Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The Bristow store is opening in my community. I will be able to walk there easily. My wife and I are looking to possibly move our medical practice into the same shopping center

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
My family went to the Aldi near us, one time. I was not impressed with the moldy fruit they were offering. The store reminded me more of a warehouse.

I'm looking forward to what Lidl has to offer.

I started going to the new one next to wegmans just after it opened. Different concept. I have never seen anything moldy.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never been to an Aldi store until my sister moved to Indiana. Once I got used to the idiosyncrasies of shopping there (renting a cart, and having to pay for bags when I inevitably forget mine) I realized it is a great store. As someone else mentioned, their pricing can't be beat and their store brand stuff is top notch. The last time I visited my sister I stockpiled some stuff before I came back as I don't have a store near home. One negative of her particular store is they don't always have the same stuff visit to visit. Because their prices are so low, we tend to try a bunch of new stuff that we find there. But they are not always available when we return the next time. Also, I noticed in some of their fruit, specifically berries, they tend to leave them out until they get mold on them. I have learned when buying that kind of stuff that I really need to check them over before I put them in my cart. I've seen numerous instances of mold on produce on the shelf.

We absolutely love their hummus line, 5 or 6 different flavors, and their bake at home pizzas are enormous and delicious.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
One of the few items I buy from Aldi (better than Scotts imo) Smile

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see the appeal. When I go to the store I don't want to have to bring my own bags, bag my own groceries or bring change to rent a cart.

A number of people have told me to check it out because of their $1.97 milk price. I finally looked at HEB to see what I have been paying and its a whopping $1.98.

The ones I have seen around Pearland/ Alvin seem to be in closed down CVS or Walgreen stores.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Aldi has saved my family grocery budget at least 40% vs Publix where I used to shop. The produce can be super fresh when they put it out. If it sits for a week, its not impressive.

3lbs of onion at Aldi is about $1.69. At Publix its about $5.07. Eggs are 99 cents, at Publix they are $1.89. Fat free skim milk is 99 cents per gallon at my Aldi. At Publix its $3.59. Aldi brand cheerios are $1.29. Publix brand cheerios are $2.99.

The Aldi store brand items are some of the best I have ever seen. High qaulity, low price, good value for sure.

I can save $20 per week on just staple items like bread, milk, veggies, etc.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am living in Germany. In my hometown Aldi and Lidl markets are just a stone's throw away from each other. Aldi almost sells his own brand articles while Lidl offers also branded articles.

The quality is exceptional good at both. Interesting is, that Aldi also offers the Trader Joe's brand articles which are obviously of US-origin or claim to be.

I remember well the times of Aldi in the 1970s. The interior decoration of the shops was quite Amish.

BTW in 1971 the founder of Aldi North, Theo, was hi-jacked by to men and released after the payment of a ransom of 7 Million Deutsch Marks.

Both hi-jackers died a few weeks ago, one of them in January 2017 the other one in February.

3.5 Million D-Mark were never found again. They are vanished.

Posts: 123 | Location: Teutoburger Wald, Germany | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Aldi has a lot of nonfood items that even beats Walmart and the quality is as good as brand name:

Dishwasher gel
Aluminum foil
Plastic wrap
Trash bags
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Etc

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been to a Lidl, but curious to try. There is one probably 65% finished few miles from here in Wake Forest. I'll check it out.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
We have 2 Aldi stores here and a Lidl store being built. It seems to have a much bigger footprint. I can see where a family with kids could save a lot of money with the Aldi brands but it doesn't seem to offer enough variety for my wife.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post